Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

3.9

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ---------------------------------------------------- COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is a wonderful primer. I like it better than the actual Smashbox it's a supposed dupe for. This is great for daily use or any time. I always have a back up and usually have one tube in my purse for at all times. It's great for smoothing the skin and creating a great base for foundation. Can be used alone and it even helps appearance of skin used all by itself. Can't beat it for the money.

This works better than half of the cosmetic primers that I've tried and you definitely can't beat the price or availability. Give it a try - you have nothing to lose.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This works decently as a primer, although I find it to be a bit too silicon-ey for my liking, which caused more oil-build up throughout the day. I don't find that it prolongs my makeup, but it does smooth out pores/fine lines. For reference, I have oily, acne-prone skin and this did not break me out.

To start off, I should preface this with two facts: I'm an *entirely* uncertified, oily cosmetic chemist. I have very high standards and I'm not brand-loyal; I don't care about packaging to the extent that it'll influence my purchases, unless it's something functional like the fact that this gel is in a nice, hygienic tube.

It also, is technically a silicone that's suited for cosmetic use. And affordable. That's where the three lippies come from.

+The formula is what *I'd* call hypoallergenic: great for acne-prone and sensitive skin
+The heavier silicones are in lesser amounts, leaving a thinner, less noticeable film
+There is a synergy where the pores are filled, and some facial shellac is laid down to ensure they stay that way.
+No water-filler.
+Great additional use of cutting, or sheering out heavier foundations when you don't want/need the coverage.
+FRRAAGRAANNCE FREEE!

-Most of this product is still a fleeting benefit.
-It doesn't prevent oil from disintegrating/eating my makeup.
-It's affordable and accessible - after trying three Walgreens when I happened to be in there, I started calling CVS' before I went.
-I paid $11. This sold for $4-6 before the primer hype. I can't blame them, but I do.

This worked as well as any other primer did for me. For those who have equally oily skin (not any Guinness-level production, but I can blot 4-5 in 16 hours, easy), I suggest you consider what you're getting out of your primer, and if it's worth the cost. If you see a noticeable difference. (If you do, I'm jealous.)

Normal to dry skinned people, this is probably an amazing product in the winter. Just make sure your moisturizer soaks in before applying or you're going to be working atop a shifty foundation. (And all the recommendations of 5-10 min=soak are a bit hasty. For the medium weight moisturizer I use, I try to leave a half hour between wash/moisturize, and primer application.) The primer itself only takes minutes to dry though. If you wash and moisturize your face, first thing, and do your makeup, last thing, you can get out the door in one hour and still have the most.. durable? Is durable appropriate? ...makeup we can think of so far.

TL;DR primers are fairly overhyped, but they work for a certain sub-demo that can really benefit from them. This product excels in its niche, and I personally enjoyed using it, despite the fact that my sebum production is greater than, or equal to the tenacity of these silicones.

HOLY COW!... THIS STUFF IS SIMPLY AMAZING! It's perfect in every way. It's solved all my problems. I bought alot of new makeup lately, which all looked OK on its own, but some makes me oily, some makes me have speckled pores, and emphasizes my pores, fine lines and flaws, which is what makeup is really supposed to hide. Worst of all, as much as I love makeup, it's been making me look old. I'm 34. My makeup makes me look 44. Well I bought the Maybelline pore eraser. It works OK, but my pores still look pretty huge even with it, makes my makeup look better, but it makes me super oily. Like wet. I'd wipe the oil next to my nose and it'd be so much I couldn't wipe it off without wiping my makeup off. It didn't help my makeup stay fresh looking. Then I read about this. Sounds crazy at first, but I figured what the hell, the reviews are phenomenal... Well today is my first time trying the chafing powder gel, and I cant imagine it gets any better than this. Makeup went on so smoothly! The best part, is my pores look hidden. And unlike the other, I have almost no oil problem. I mean, I've had my makeup on about 4 hours now, and it looks so super fresh! It looks exactly the same as when I put it on. Absolutely perfect. I went in the bathroom a minute ago to check my makeup and so a touch up, and nothing needed to be done at all! It looks absolutely the best it's looked since I was about 19 years old! And considering I really didn't know how to use makeup very good back then, I can literally say that my makeup has never looked as beautiful, fresh, and natural as it does today. I mean this stuff is gold. I highly suggest buying it. Also, I have a tinted moisturizer that illuminates, which I love, but makes me feel a little greasy. Last night I mixed a drop of it with a drop of this chafing gel, and put it on and let me tell ya, it totally solved that problem too. So when I just want to wear that for a super natural Dewey look, now I can do it without making me feel so oily! Also, this has no smell,doesnt sting when I get it close to my eyes, and although the tube isn't really exactly cute, it is a generous amount and has a convenient flip cap. I paid about $6 at Walmart. I will probably go buy another next week just in case they lose their minds and discontinue the product. It works that well. I don't think I'd ever want to go without this baby again! Perfection I tell ya. I look ten years younger today than I did before buying this stuff. My face looks absolutely flawless. Highly recommend it!

As a face primer: It's just silicone, and it breaks me out terribly. For me it doesn't work at all...

5 lippies for it's intended purpose however I give it a big fat 0 for a face primer.

It has almost double the amount of demitheicone as a normal primer and to me that makes a huge difference. It goes on super greasy and takes forever to dry. Once it does I feel like I'm wearing a mask and while it does make my foundation stay on forever it feels miserable on my skin. The worst part is the breakouts that I get, huge extremely painful cysts that last forever. There's so many drugstore primers out now that are the same price as this, it's just not worth it.

However that overkill of silicone is great for when I'm running. Nothing prevents chaffing between my legs like this. Lanacan makes a similar product and it is no where near as good.

So keep this off your face and use it how it's intended and it's worth is.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I cannot believe that I have never written a review on this product because I use it every day and have for years and even recommend it to my patients. Yes, I do use this product as a make up primer, but it is even more useful than that. For those of us who are a little on the chunky side (heavy sigh), we often get irritation under the breasts and the stomach hangover. Every day, when I hope out of the shower, I put a bead underneath each breast and under the stomach hangover and I have never had any more of that irritation. It is not greasy and protects that skin. Try it. After all, it is called "anti chafing" and it is perfect for that at an amazing price.

Now THIS is a primer! I love the review here that opines that one of the reasons this stuff is SO great is because it doesn't make a bunch of inflated promises, so maybe expectations start out lower than they might otherwise. All I know is, this is a great product for its intended use, and it also makes a FANTASTIC foundation primer. All at a price of about 6 bucks. I actually like to smooth this on after I apply makeup, on spots I want to blur and/or mattify. It's honestly like a filter for your face. I use this for what I might use a finishing powder for, and it's perfect, without making my face dry, powdery or cakey. It is silicone based, so I can see how some skins might have a problem with it. I think it always helps to remove silicones with oil, which completely dissolves and lifts away other oils. I always use an oil to cleanse, and because I have drier skin, I may or may not use a foaming cleanser afterward. My skin is still highly reactive and acne prone though, and I've never had an issue as long as I remove everything with an oil at the end of the day. I used Smashbox primer for years and I loved it - I think this product performs better.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have been using this a my primer for years. It is amazing and the price cannot be beat. I use so much less foundation and it goes on silky smooth and creates a matte effect on my skin. my absolute HG.

Popular Primer/ Correctors