October 31, 2014 | 1201 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - French Grey

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by MacAtFirstSight

I absolutely love this shade. it's a cool brown, almost grey color that is soooo flattering on me. fyi, i'm nc25-30 with dark brown eyes and hair. this color brings depth to my eyes and makes them look almost mysterious and sexy.

i definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2009 10:04:00 PM More reviews by rochas2

Awesome warm grey. This is tied for my favorite eye shadow. This has a silken, satiny texture with a slightly cool cast which makes my blue eyes really stand out. It's super flattering and works as a lid or crease color, I find the lid color is always more brought out, so I like wearing this as the lid color because it's so beautiful.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2009 12:02:00 PM More reviews by Yum3ji

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was disappointed to find out late 2008 that this product was discontinued (limited edition) as it's a great match for my eyebrows and daily eyeshadow. Originally one of the sales representatives at The Bay recommended I try the French Grey as it's a versatile colour that blends well with Carbon (what colour doesn't go with black?). I'm almost out of my pot of French Grey, and the only other colour that comes close to it right now is Shale, which seems more purple in comparison.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2009 6:59:00 PM More reviews by ifthe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

About the most perfect mid tone taupe shadow I've ever seen (even though it has Grey in the title!). It's not to warm or too cool, so it's very versatile. I use this as a crease shade and it really seems to make my greenish gold hazel eyes pop.
French Grey is a "Satin" finish eyeshadow, so there is just enough shimmer to add dimension without being over the top, which makes it a fine choice for the office.
The color payoff and texture are top notch and I've had no issues with it changing color midday as some have stated (and I have combination skin!).

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2009 4:23:00 PM More reviews by SixtyLove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Another MAC Product that I really wanted to love. I got this Dec 2007 along with Rondelle e/s.

I want to love this colour because its one of the most unusual ones that I have; a nice, soft Taupe-Grey but I've noticed that throughout the day the Taupeness of it seems to fade and it starts looking really, really GREY!.

Great for a really dirty smokey eye, but overall its not a must-have MAC eyeshadow. Even thought it was LE, you're not missing out on anything special

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2009 1:51:00 AM More reviews by RainbowsUnicornsAndHGfdn

Click "continued" for photos.

To me, this is a taupe with more brown than grey. Unfortunately the brown in it becomes more predominant as it oxidizes on my oily lids throughout the day, hence 1 lippie off.

Quality is up to par with the average MAC shadow - not much creasing; smooth, even texture; and long-wearing.

Overall, I'd wear this if I don't look particularly pale that day or if the rest of my makeup is slightly warm-toned so it won't look too out of place once oxidized.

Photos of some comparable shades.

BB is Bobbi Brown.

PC is Paula's Choice.

continued >>

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2009 6:34:00 PM More reviews by Kristi9630

I LOVE this color! It looks like a plain brown in the package, but it goes on as a smoky greyish brown that is absolutely ravishing. It works as a daytime shadow or can be used to get a smoky look. I wear this color all the time, although I couldn't find it on the website today, I'm hoping it will be in the store when I go on Friday!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2009 4:23:00 PM More reviews by ashmiaka

i have to admit, i'm a little stumped by the color changing tendencies of this shadow -- in the pan it looks more brown; freshy applied on the lid it looks even colored grey brown; as it wears through the day it gradually becomes more grey (but still with brown tint). but that being said, it is still a beautiful matte taupe eyeshadow no matter what stage it's in. my only slight disppointment is that it seems to fade more so than my other shadows as the day goes on and i do use an eyeshadow primer. regardless, it's still a great e/s for those who like neutral colors. i wish this wasn't LE (like all the other great shades out there).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2008 2:31:00 PM More reviews by glossybrowneyes

I received this in a swap after lusting after it for awhile. I've used it everyday since it came about two weeks ago. It is the perfect almost-matte taupe that looks great as a tone it down or spice it up crease color! I wish it wasn't a former LE so I could buy it again when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2008 11:07:00 AM More reviews by blonde_artist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

French Grey came out as part of the Spring 2007 Danse collection by MAC. In the pot, it is a clean grey color with light silver shimmer. I find that French Grey is my go-to color for smokey eyes rather than any of MAC's various blacks that they have come out with because it is more subtle and less harsh on my pale skin. Besides, I happen to think that grays tend to look fabulous on pale skinned blondes with dark eyes. French Grey also looks stunning when paired with Rondelle, Moon's Reflection, Brill, and ESPECIALLY Illegal Cargo.