April 18, 2014 | 1928 users online

Bath Treatments - Alpha Keri Shower and Bath Moisture Rich Oil

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2014 11:27:00 PM More reviews by Breighp

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this for dry skin in and out of the bath shower or any time to hydrate your skin. I started using this when my son had eczema and loved it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by qmsterling

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Every time I am close to finishing a bottle of oil, I try something new for my post-shower skin. Alpha Keri is a great value; you get a huge amount for the price. The texture is nice and it does the same task that all the other oils do. But I cannot get past the smell... It reminds me of my long-passed grandmothers (both of them!), but not in a good way :( It would be nice if this were available in other--more modern--fragrances. That said, the scent of the oil does not linger on my skin once I'm dried off.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by dollief

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Ashleyanders review, below is spot-on. The generic CVS or Walgreen's version is just as good as the name brand. It is not intended for a hand moisturizer or soles of feet, which do better with a heavier cream like Eucerin, BUT.......This is an excellent after-bath body moisturizer, or you can add it to bath water as a bath oil. My skin is super dry and flaky from Lupus, and this is what I use to shave my legs with and to splash my skin with after bath while still wet, then towel off and I'm done. Wonderful, economical product!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2010 12:20:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad for a thorough overview of my body skin type!

** This is a review for a generic, no-name version of the Alpha Keri oil. The generic brand has the exact same ingredients as well as the same fragrance, but about three bucks cheaper. My version is the London Drugs store brand. **

What it Claims:
"Alpha Keri Oil moisturises dry skin by improving the hydrating properties of the bath or shower. The stratum corneum (protective outer skin layer) is hydrated during bathing or showering. Soaking in an Alpha Keri Oil bath or applying Alpha Keri Oil to wet skin after showering leaves an emollient film on the skin that helps retain the moisture the stratum corneum has taken up during the bath or shower. Alpha Keri Oil is a completely water dispersible bath and shower oil. Alpha Keri Oil doesn't form globules on the water surface and, consequently, it spreads evenly and uniformly over the skin to provide a moisture-retaining barrier to protect skin against dryness and irritations. In other words, the uniform dispersal of the oil in the water makes possible an even layer of oil to be deposited on the skin."

Claims - True or False?
1) Moisturizes dry skin: True. On very chapped skin (such as soles of the feet) this will do very little, but on normal to dry skin, it is very moisturizing.
2) Leaves an emollient film on skin: False. I do not notice any film or residue on my skin once I've patted my body dry, but I can feel that the skin is moisturized. I'd say that instead of leaving a film, it soaks into the skin.
3) Spreads evenly on the skin: False. When skin is wet (which is when oil is meant to be applied after bathing/showering), it combines with the water on my skin and creates an almost milky fluid on the skin, but does tend to become concentrated in areas. Skin however is evenly hydrated after patting dry.
4) Protects skin against dryness and irritation: True and false. If I use this on its own, it doesn't protect against dryness unless I've used my body scrub, which leaves a heavy film on my skin. Skin does feel less dry when using on a regular basis, though.

Packaging:
Comes in a cheap, clear plastic bottle with a small flip-top cap with a semi small hole. It looks and feels cheap, and I really dislike the packaging. Aesthetically, I really don't care that it looks cheap, as I do not purchase products for the way they will look on my bathroom counter. However, the packaging is ill suited toward the oil; I would prefer either a pump or a dropper, perhaps even a spray nozzle. I will likely switch it out into a different container.

Smell:
I don't really know what the fragrance is, but I really do adore it. It's slightly sweet, but does not smell obviously synthetic. Very light, and does not linger on the skin, which makes it wonderful when pairing with other stronger fragranced body lotions/butters as they will not compete or mix together to create a nasty stench.

Consistency:
Obviously, it's oily. It feels very emollient, and is not very thick. Leaves the skin very smooth without looking or feeling greasy, doesn't make the body sticky, and is suitable under clothing if you tend to shower in the morning.

Ease of Use:
The packaging makes this very irritating and slightly difficult to use, as you basically have to pour it out. This results in product running down the side of the cap, and can cause too much or too little product to be released. Ease of use of the oil itself however is very good. It smooths over the skin nicely, and while it does become milky and needs to be patted down, it's very easy to use right out of the shower. I've decanted it into a spray bottle for easier in-shower use, and it definitely allows me to use a bit less oil and a much easier application.

Bang for your Buck:
The price of the Alpha Keri brand is listed at $8.99CAD for 450ml. The generic version that I purchased costs $5.99 for 450ml. Obviously, this is a wonderful price. Very little is used each time, it's cheap, and it works. I would gladly purchase the Alpha Keri version, as even at that price, it's quite a bargain. But, then again, why buy the same product at a higher price?

Final Consensus:
Although my skin is normal to dry, and water at any temperature dries out my skin quite a bit, I'm always very lazy when it comes to moisturizing my body. For the most part, I only use lotions and butters on my legs and arms, as I'm too lazy to undress and apply. After showering, I'm already unclothed, and I do not need to dry my skin before use. This makes it very convenient to use, and means that I do not have to moisturize after I've dried myself down unless I want extra hydration. Wonderful product at a great price, I would recommend this to everyone with dryness or who simply wants soft, radiant skin. The bottle does say to pat skin dry after use, but I find that the skin stays better coated if I let the water evaporate on its own - although I find that patting my skin dry causes extra dryness in general on my entire body. Rated a 5 out of 5 for being cheap, living up to most of its claims, not causing any adverse irritation, being light on the skin while still hydrating it nicely and being pretty easy to find locally.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2008 12:08:00 AM More reviews by Cinnabuns

Great bath oil, and it's very light and the moisturizing effect lasts a long time. I apply it while my skin is damp from the shower. It makes your skin soft and silky, and it smells great. Warning: It will make the tub very slippery. Be careful.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2007 3:18:00 PM More reviews by clayberg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I too find this a hidden gem on this site. Yes, there is no frills but it does its job. Love this in the winter months. Just don't get crazy putting this on in the shower. It can be a bummer cleaning this off your shower floor.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2007 7:54:00 PM More reviews by SusieQ40

This has been a favorite of mine since high school when my mother used to use it. I recently rediscovered it. The smell is nice and the product is very gentle and it works. It's just one of those simple, tried and true products. I have tried store-brand versions of it and found them ok but not exactly the same.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2006 5:15:00 PM More reviews by aidenraine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe this eczema secret isn't reviewed on here yet! When I was growing up I had terribly dry skin. I frequently had patches of eczema on my legs, feet, and face. My mom tried to treat it on her own when I was young, and eventually took me to a dermatologist. I had to return in high school for a stress-induced flare-up. The dermatologist recommended three over the counter products, (more for the dry skin, he prescribed something for the eczema) and this was one of them. (The others were Nivea body lotion and Purpose face lotion). Anyway, bathing with this is not glamorous, but it does combat my horribly dry winter skin and take away the awful itchies. I combine it with more fun (non-drying) bath products to make sure that every bath I take also has a beneficial element to it. You can also use this as a body and shower oil. CVS and other drugstores make a generic version of this. It's a tried and true remedy, and apparently a well kept secret on this site!