October 21, 2014 | 2157 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2014 5:07:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil for the face? No way! Too pore-clogging for my liking. But it's ideal for the hair and can be used in place of a serum, for dry hair ends or to tame flyaways. I use it for my hair ends once or twice a week when I'm due a hair cut - the smallest amount possible, warmed between the palms. As I have fine, bra strap length hair I have to be careful not to overload my hair and pure coconut oil is one of the few oils that my hair can tolerate as a leave-in.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2014 2:47:00 AM More reviews by ecall1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This oil has changed my life (or at least my hair)! Really. I use a bit on the ends only after shampooing and conditioning. It helps detangle and fight frizz. My rough blow dry looks smoother and my hair is silky and stays shiny after flat ironing. A little worked through the ends of 2nd day hair that's pulled into a ponytail looks groomed and healthy rather than flyaway. Maybe my hair has just been really dry my whole life and just needed some oil. I thought I'd hate it or it would break out my problematic skin, but I love it. I rub the extra oil on my hands after doing my hair and my skin feels soft.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2014 3:11:00 PM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is horrible for my skin. Gives me cysts, pimples and clogged pores. Never worked for my hair either. I also can't stand it on my body- too oily, doesn't sink in. We just don't have a good relationship.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by timtamz07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ah, what would I do without this? It's great for pretty much anything in my beauty regime. It can be a body lotion, hair mask, eye/face-makeup remover and even a face moisturizer for those with dry skin. Personally I use as a hair mask when I run out of my Organix Moroccan Oil renewing Treatment. It does the job just as well. I use it mostly though as an eye-makeup remover. I think it's really gentle. I first gently wash my eyelids and eyelash with warm water to get rid of the stiff mascara sitting on it then I get a cotton ball put some coconut oil on my eyelids and gently rub off the smudged excess. It's so gentle and doesn't leave my eyes watery. It moisturizes my eyelids and under eyes before I go to bed.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by Catfink90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

*This review is for coconut oil as a cleanser/makeup remover*

I wanted to love this because I thought it would be an affordable and natural way of removing my makeup/cleansing my face, but unfortunately my skin hated it.

For reference, the brand I used was Loving Earth Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I used this by applying to dry skin, massaging to cleanse and remove makeup and then used a hot washcloth to remove it. It took more than one washcloth for me to remove the residue of this from my skin and despite the fact that my makeup was removed my skin still felt really dirty.

I broke out in deep, cystic acne on my cheeks that took weeks to heal and I now have scarring that I am trying to fade. This seems to work so well for some people but for me it was awful. I have since started using a cleansing balm that emulsifies when wet and am much more satisfied with the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by xoxodalia

Coconut oil has saved my life! I have had normal/combination skin ever since puberty hit & I use to torture my skin with benzoyl peroxide, alcohol-based astringents & used exfoliating cleansers on the daily. Can you say recipe for disaster?? No wonder I struggled with my skin so much lol.
Anywho, I'm older and wiser now lol & have discovered the amazing world of natural products.
I use coconut oil as a makeup remover ONLY. I start by rubbing a small amount of CO in my hands, apply it to my face and gently massage it all over for a good minute or two. Then, I'll grab for a makeup remover wipe and wipe off the gross oil and makeup mixture. I make sure the wipe is completely dirty. Then I'll use a cleanser (Neutrogena's naturals purifying facial cleanser with makeup remover) and thoroughly cleanse my face. I then pat my face dry with a clean towel and apply moisturizer (Olay's sensitive skin).
Not only is my skin nice and clear, it GLOWS! It feels so soft and I'm constantly complimented on my skin when I'm out and about. I've also noticed that some of old acne scars are fading and maybe it's just me but I feel that my pores have shrunk.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2014 1:49:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

**By the way, this listing is for coconut oil as a cleanser, there are separate reviews for coconut oil for hair and body. It gets confusing when people review for more than one use in the wrong listing.**

Don't get me wrong, I love coconut oil, a lot. I love to eat it, I love it in my hair, etc. But I was always scared to try it on my face. I am clog prone and had previously tried other oils for cleansing and usually what would happen is my open/picked at areas would clear and rejuvenate but after about a week I would get bumps again, usually around the jaw line. To be fair, I always have bumps and acne, so I don't even know what to blame for it, but if something is not helping then it I don't continue. So recently, I figured I may be over drying myself and I'll try coconut oil as a cleansing method. Like usual, my cuts cleared quickly and my skin felt like it was improving. But after about a week, I got a major amount of bumps on my forehead, which is not the usual spot after OCM and I actually thought it was heat rash. But it spread to my cheeks and basically, I had blackheads, whiteheads and tiny micro bumps ALL OVER that couldn't even be extracted or treated. It's been over a week since I stopped and I'm still dealing with it. I'm not oily skinned, but the coconut was just too clogging for me (as all seem to be, but I was right to think coconut would be more so). So as much as I love it, I absolutely can NOT use it on my face. I only gave two lippies because it made my skin so soft I hate to give it one. I know it helps a lot of people but for me, it just didn't, even rinsing thoroughly with a warm washcloth and sometimes using a bit of cleanser to make sure it was off.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 9:06:00 AM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't even bother with body lotion anymore. I've been using this and it keeps my skin super soft and smooth. I've used it for eye cream which I dab a little on and I haven't had any pimples. Also used it as a foot cream, moisturise my hair after apply to my body, and used it to polish my wood furniture. The possibilities are endless with this stuff. You will not be disappointed at all with this oil.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2014 7:40:00 PM More reviews by Marknomad

I think coconut oil is the best treatment of acne, i'm suggesting this product to you.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by Michaela264

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I mix extra virgin coconut oil with turmeric powder and yoghurt to make me favourite face mask for my acne scars( left by cystic acne)! It's very moisturizing and minimizes the irritation turmerix may cause!

I think it's a great substitute for olive oil whem I'm making my turmeric mask, because my skin is very sensitive and olive oil sometimes causes my break outs. Sometimes I also mix coconut oil with Vaseline to make a quick homemade lip balm in winter, it makes my lips very soft and moisturized!