February 1, 2015 | 1657 users online

Other - Ulta - Ulta- whole store

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2015 12:16:00 PM More reviews by IheartCHA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have a huge love hate (more hate) relationship with this store. While online is fantastic, in store... not so much. The last time I was there, I felt like I was followed the whole time. I work retail, so I get it -- to an extent. Beauty at our store is a huge theft problem. Other times, I stand up front wondering where the heck their employees are. I really hate that. I have walked out of stores for that reason. Usually, the associates are super friendly at the store I go to. I usually don't have huge problems with customer service.

My major problem is their -severe lack- of in store stock. I hate driving all the way out there for them to not have 90% of what I'm looking for. Their drugstore section is heavily shopped. A "find in store" option on their website would be amazing. ULTA, in store, is usually my last resort for purchasing something I need ASAP. The Wal-Mart across the street from my job is stocked 1000% better, sadly.

I LOVE that most of their products have testers (I seriously appreciate this. Most drugstores do not have these!) but that does not stop most of their customers from opening the products anyways. Most of the time, one of the products I am looking for only have ONE left, and it's always open! This is why I'm a huge online shopper.

My store can be really slow at getting new arrivals too. A new line or product that the community has been talking about for months can take months to land. We are in a pretty prominent city. I just don't get it. They seem to have been getting better about this on my last visit. I also wish they had better drugstore selection, in general.

I love the concept of the store. I hate fighting traffic in other big stores when I just want to look at beauty items. They need to keep their stores stocked better.Their sales are pretty awesome. They ALWAYS have a coupon floating around as well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2015 10:22:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ulta is somewhat of a necessary evil for me, since they're the only store in my area (that I know of) that carries certain products and brands (like NYX). My two biggest pet peeves: 1) many of the employees are frequently apathetic. It depends on who is there on any given day. And they are very serious about watching you, I can attest! And 2) (this is my biggest pet peeve) the testers are often missing -- or several perfectly good items, of one kind (like one particular color of lipstick or eyeshadow), have been tested by customers, rendering them useless for purchase. I realize this latter pet peeve is not necessarily the store's fault, but I would expect them to monitor this situation and ensure that testers are always available, even if that means compensating for theft of testers (yuck) by ordering extra stock. And speaking of ordering stock, rarely do I find what I came to purchase. They are ALWAYS out of stock on things and telling me that their "truck is coming on Thursday." When I return on Friday, I always find that what I want STILL hasn't been received, and it goes on and on this way forever. :-(

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2015 2:42:00 AM More reviews by mimislamb

I love Ulta...and I shop there a lot. My only beef with Ulta is that when I go in there I'm usually harassed by sales associates asking me if I'm "finding everything OK" 4,000 times, which equals "we think you might be stealing". This ticks me off because I don't steal, sometimes it takes me a while to browse and I spend quite a bit of money there every year! Also, I give the cashier my club card every time I check out but I have yet to discover what the rewards of this is...I've had it for a few years now and never gotten anything free or discounted because of it, soooo...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by Withinnightescence

I was shocked to hear about the reviews of this store! The store that I go to is in Northville Michigan. It's a higher end area of Michigan, but everyone who works there is SO nice. They're helpful, they're funny and fun. Every woman who works there is gorgeous too! I like that they have reps from the different companies there to help too.
And their CLEARANCE!! OH! their clearance. Just..take all my money.
I've easily spent $900 in the past year there since the've expanded their clearance and gotten wonderful deals.
It all depends on where you live I suppose.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by Alexandriababydoll

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Here's my beef with ulta- 1.) I hate shopping at ulta because they act like I'm going to steal something even though my stepmom and I collectively spend approximately $1,000 in that store in a year. They're extremely rude and never helpful when trying to find a product... So I
2.) purchased my most recent seasonal bundle of products online over a week and a half ago, and it's still not here. Every day I track the item, it says it'll be here the next day. Ugh. Sticking with target and sephora. So not worth the trouble.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Yvonneay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Man, after reading some of these reviews, I'm just puzzled. But to be completely honest, it really all does depend on location and the people you get. My Ulta, in Colorado Springs, CO, is amazing. People there are never too pushy, nor do they ever ignore you. When I was looking confused and puzzled about something, a girl came up to me and simply said if I needed any help, I said "No thank you" and she walked away. After 5 minutes of trying to figure it out myself, I gave up and went up to the same girl and she smiled at me and jokingly said "See, I knew you would need my help!" and she was super super helpful. Every single girl I have talked to there has been awesome. Another day I wanted to try something and had done some research but I still wasn't sure what would work best for me, so I walked up to one of the girls who just happen to be around the Urban Decay section, and asked her. Though it seemed like her main focus was Urban Decay, she walked me over to the drugstore section and actually recommended a few things, and even told me not to get a certain products I was looking at due to my skin tone being too pale, she recommended getting a different product instead, which just so happened to be cheaper!

Every single item I'm looking for (except new stuff, sometimes those go flying off the shelves!) is always there. They keep the whole place clean and tidy, and all the girls there working are knowledgeable. I never leave with something I dislike, and I am always able to return it, even if I opened it and used it.

I can't say I have ever had issues with the rewards point system. Nor have I ever had issues with the coupons not being taken (I never buy anything but drugstore though, because I just can't afford it, even with coupons and deals, etc.).

TL;DR: I really like my Ulta, I never have issues there, and I am always treated nicely and not like a thief. Store is always clean, friendly staff, and stocked reasonably.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/17/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by FaceIsBeatHunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So this is my second online purchase from Ulta, I must say this company has one of the SLOWEST shipping ever! It takes nearly 2 weeks to get to you, Then on top of everything they have a jacked up shipping method...They use Ups but some how both my orders ended up being delivered through Usps United states postal service? ? Real confusing why not just have Ups to drop it off directly? ? Oh and I noticed Ulta only post Butt kissing reviews! They won't post the tactful, honest reviews just wanted to put that out there...I'm a Sephora girl overall they only time I'll s shop from ulta again is if no other store and I do mean nooooo other store has what I'm looking for

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Flakestar

If I ever shop at ULTA again, please shoot me. I normally spend about $200 to $250 per quarter. That is a total of $800 to $1000 per year. But today is the final straw. I purchased the Mally shadow sticks online. The description indicates 5 different colors. But instead, I received 4 colors with a double of one of the shadows for the 5th shadow. I would not have minded if the double was of a brown shade, but it was ‘camo’, short for camouflage – a green shade. So, this morning, I try to return it to my local ULTA. I bring the paperwork, shipped with the product. But, that isn’t enough. They want a copy of my email order confirmation. Now, how would anyone suspect that there isn’t sufficient information on the paperwork that comes with the shipment? It is at Sephora. Why not ULTA? So, I give them my ‘club rewards card’ to look up the item. But apparently, they cannot look up the item using my club card. The store manager’s response is that if they sold the item in the store, there would be no problem. But since they don’t sell the Mally product line at that location, they cannot take the item back without the order confirmation email. Now whoever has heard of a system like this? They should be able to look up my order online, or to find the item on my account using my ‘rewards card’, or they should supply sufficient info on the packing paperwork. But no! All of these common solutions are not available to ULTA employees.

So, my rave continues. I called up the Las Vegas, ‘Best of the West’ store to ask if one of the manufacturer’s reps was available. Their response was – we don’t know when the manufacturer’s reps will be in the store. How can anyone run a store when you don’t know who is arriving? There should be a schedule of when reps will be present daily. How can you tell a prospective customer that they don’t know when the rep will be present? If I wanted to make an appt with one of these reps, how could I? What a terrible way to run a business, not very professional.

And finally, ULTA has the most ridiculous rules on how to use the $3.50 coupon. The coupon can only be used on drug store items. Hasn’t the ULTA upper mgmt. realized that $3.50 on what they refer to as ‘prestige’ items will result in higher sales and higher profit? How stupid can they be? At least they have improved their ‘beauty rewards’ program. Previously, points were awarded. These points can be used for predetermined products - for the most part, product that you don’t want. And the points expire so that they cannot be used after the expiration date. They cannot be accumulated. The program has been changed to allow one to use the points/rewards for purchases of any items. It’s about time. But I haven’t seen the regulations of the new program and knowing how ULTA operates, I’m sure they will impose some ridiculous regulation that makes the reward impossible to use. But I’m done. I will return my product and no longer purchase anything from ULTA again. Give me Sephora any day. They have great customer service and treat their clients with respect.

I only gave a review of 1 because I could not leave a rating of 0.

9 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 8:17:00 PM More reviews by Whitestats03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I live near one Ulta, Henrietta location... And work next to the other, Webster location. So I've spent plenty of money between the two in the past two yrs trust me. The Webster location is chock full of older employees that may have experience w makeup but always seem very very snobby or don't know anything at all. I appreciate good makeup advice on products I don't usually use as I just started purchasing high end ab a year ago. ( I have a good mix of both high and low end prod). I always feel like I'm bothering them when I come in. The Henrietta loc is so much better to the point that I've told the manager twice. The girls are always helpful. They are younger and jut plan off more cheerful. They also rec a high and a low end option and are happy to do so if I ask. My biggest complaint w the hen and sometimes even the Webster loc are that they are usually never in stock of the NYX prod that are very popular. High end pay off low end price, so why not stock it better??!! The other day I went in and it looked like a tornado literally hit every shelf. Literally!! Sad! The return policy is stellar as long as u return within 60 days. They can find ur receipt too. Overall. I head to the Hen loc most often I just dread that they never have what u need sometimes. :(.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by benette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm going to try to keep this brief. This is for both locations that I have visited.

Customer Service Fails:
-Treating me like a criminal because I tried to use a coupon from my phone, not printed.
-Treating me like a criminal for trying to return an item, with receipt, in a reasonable amount of time. Seriously, I am a grown woman in my 30's, and do not appreciate their attitudes at all.
-Continuing to push products on me when I am clearly working off a list and politely, smilingly, asking to be left alone. On its own this wouldn't bother me, I know it's their job.
-Refusing me my GWP, then stating they don't have any. If you didn't have it, why did you say at first that you wouldn't give it to me?
-Constantly being out of stock on 7/10 items (avg.) I'm looking for.

Win(s):
-Carrying a few brands that I'd otherwise have to get online
-Mixing drugstore w/mid-range in one location.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No