October 21, 2014 | 1755 users online

Foundations - Serge Lutens - Teint Si Fin Compact Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by halve_moon

I've finished my first pan of the powder and now I'm on the second one. I have never scraped off until the last powder foundation is out... but due to its hefty price tag that this powder has, I felt like I need to get every single last powder used.
Hefty price tag aside, this powder really is the best powder foundation I've ever used. Whether I applied it with the sponge on the go or using a powder brush, it has always came out evenly and makes my skin looks like my skin but way better.
The powder foundation lasts about a year for me and I've used it everyday. I do wear it lightly on my skin. When compared with my Jill Stuart Silk Powder Foundation, this comes out as nice as that.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2012 11:24:00 AM More reviews by supercat12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Me: 40s, with generally good, combo skin, a bit of redness on cheeks, large pores on nose.
This has become my favorite powder foundation (beating out the long-reigning champ Chantecaille). The colour the MA matched me with is I 40, which looks kind of dark in the pan, but looks great on my skin (I was using Peach in Chantecaille). This goes on beautifully - especially over the Serge primer, although I've used it on its own as well. Makes my skin look even-toned, poreless, and lovely. As with all mineral-based powders, I find it can get a bit shiny if I over-buff it into my skin. Has good staying powder as well - I sometimes top it off with a bit of the Serge finishing powder.
This *IS* outrageously priced, at $80 for the "refill" and $80 for the compact. The MA told me that I only needed to buy the compact if I was "concerned about having a pretty container" for my makeup, so I skipped it. The plastic packaging for the refill is kind of flimsy, but I haven't had any problems with it, and I have even traveled with it with no issues.
I don't use this every day, but I really like it and expect that it will last for a long-ish while. I don't know that I'll repurchase, but only because I tend not to remain loyal to one particular foundation. For now, though, it's a keeper.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 10:00:00 PM More reviews by foe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Now that I've hit pan on this foundation, I feel that I can give it a measured, objective review: I like it. The shade 060 matches my skin perfectly, it covers well, layers well, goes on easily and stays put even without primer - for all that I have to give it a 5, even if I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I was a few months ago. I've tried applying it in various ways and my favorite is with a sponge applicator - mainly because when I'd use my buff or face brush, I'd see all the excess dust and think "Dang! That's $2.50 of foundation flying away!"

Because, let's be honest, this is a really expensive product, high end brand or not. It's also, I'm coming discover in the warmer months as I'm inadvertently getting darker, extremely matte and somewhat flattening. There is no dewy glow with this foundation - which is all part of SL's aesthetic and I can appreciate that but it's just something to be aware of if you're considering purchasing. It can also give that "ghost face" look, it's so matte - which as my arms and shoulders tan even as my face and neck don't looks kinda odd. Not bad but just not the look I'm really going for in the summer. For that reason, I think that if I do buy this again, it will be more of a fall/winter foundation for me.

Anyhoo, here's some random info for anyone like me who stalked MUA and the internet for reviews of this line and had a hard time finding much of anything. No, you do not need the compact. The foundation refill comes in this black plastic protective case with lid - if you go the Barney's website, you'll see what I mean in one of the product images. While it's not exactly sturdy as cases go, I've carried the foundation around in my purse with no problems. The refill doesn't come with a sponge and the normal sized sponges they give you don't fit inside the little case but I've cut one down and have been fine. I also seem to recall a reviewer saying that it was so pigmented that she though the product would last a while; well, it is highly pigmented and, since my skin is pretty good on its own, a little does go a long way - but I wouldn't buy it and count on it lasting any longer than your current foundation. Oh, and the ingredients list includes titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which I *think* are supposed to look bad in photographs but I'm not sure. I'm not much of a photo taker.*

At any rate, to make a long story short - at the very least, it's a foundation worth trying. But now that I've gotten it out of my system, I have my eyes on Guerlain lingerie do peau and Edward Bess's cream to powder compact. And the quest for the perfect foundation continues!

*In fact, what the heck. Why not make this long review even longer by just listing the ingredients since I have the packaging (a very pretty cardboard box a la his fragrances!) handy: mica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, titanium dioxide (CI77891), talc, zinc oxide (CI77947), petrolatum, hydrogenated polydecene, dimethicone, iron oxides (CI77492), sorbitan sesquiisostearate (wha!!), aluminum hydroxide, ethylparaben, butylparaben, dimethicone/methicone copolymer, iron oxides (CI 77499), silica, tocopherol, fragrance (but I can't smell anything), triisostearin, trimethylolpropane triethylhexanoate (double wha!!).

Okay, hope that helps because I just ruined my eyesight. :)

EDIT 08/05/2011: Like Columbo, just one more thing, lol. TSF is 8g/.28oz so a bit less product than your average powder foundation. I found this info helpful as I was doing price comparisons. :)

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2010 8:02:00 AM More reviews by tisa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this in D10. To me this powder foundation is lightweight in texture and buildable. Evens out my skintone and covers minor imperfections without irritating my sensitive skin. I apply this with a Suqqu powder brush and don't use the sponge that comes with the compact. Yes it's expensive - but this is a perfect match for my skintone and I love the quality of this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by rosie06

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First off, let me say that I purchased this foundation as a refill, which saved me 50% off the ridiculous $160 pricetag. I bought the color "blanc" which is a pale yellow and I use it as a finishing powder over my sheerer foundations, rather than a foundation. Used in this fashion, this is absolutely the best product in my makeup arsenal! It takes the pink out of my skin, keeps it out all day, and fills in every line and pore on my face. Because my skin is on the dry side, I wouldn't use this product as a foundation since it would suck the minute bit of oil I do have right out of my skin. Highly recommended for anyone who has tried every foundation and not found their HG - this powder makes any foundation look perfect!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2008 10:58:00 PM More reviews by CJCJ

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a powder compact that goes on in layers. The SA informed me that the BEST application method is to use a tight powder brush (aka Too Faced Teddy Bear) and apply in layers; your skin just keeps looking better and better. Can be used under the eye as an concealer. Doesn't settle into pores, looks like your own skin, but flawless. So why won't I buy it again? Why not 5 lips? Because:

1) For the price, the sponge should not be a flimsy piece of crap (don't use the sponge, the SA said, it's junk. Thanks)
2) It CHANGES color. At least it did on me. It darkened as the day wore on. Evening was much darker than morning.
3) Blanc is NOT light. It's a yellow shade. A LIGHT yellow, but still yellow.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 9:05:00 PM More reviews by sdavid

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm almost embarrassed when my friends ask what foundation I use. I have to tell them I bought it during a visit to NYC at Barney's. Of course, the next question is, "How much?" I just have to lie. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd spend this much on a make-up product but it's worth every cent. Makes my very oily but clear skin look smooth and flawless...all day!

It doesn't take much for a day-time look but I use a little more at night.I've had it for 2 months now and I've barely caused a dip in the top. It must be really concentrated.

At any rate, if you're thinking about it, just do it. If you don't like it (doubtful) you an return it.

My next purchase will be the eyeliner - SA put it on me and it, too, lasted all day without a tiny smudge. All SL product are outrageously expensive, but worth it....I promise!

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2007 8:09:00 PM More reviews by HeatherA

Tragically for my budget, I absolutely love this foundation. It gives the most beautiful finish with such minimal effort and it's completely portable - and it really is the combo of all of these qualities that made me pull the trigger and actually buy this. I can get an equally beautiful finish with other products, but it takes considerable time and focus. Another powder foundation would be just as fast and portable, but most of them look cakey on me and make me break out. This looks and feels like I've got nothing on, but my skin looks great, and I can can whip it on in a heartbeat. It works as a concealer, too, with the right brush.Also astonishing - it stays on without touch-ups for a really long time. I'm not burning through the compact super fast, even though I use it every day, so I will be buying a refill when I'm out. (Those aren't that much more than my old foundation, so I'll feel less flagrantly extravagant.) I've tried hundreds of foundations over the years and never found one quite like this. Worth it ONLY if it's your holy grail, but after three decades of foundation trial and error, it's worth it to me.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2007 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great foundation. easy to apply. amazing finish...total coverage..long staying power.

EDIT- Clog pores and drying for my skin right now as i am on Retin-A

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2006 6:28:00 PM More reviews by Stylebaby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Yes, I confess, I am the one who bought the $168 Serge Lutens foundation. In my defense, let me say (1) it was my birthday; (2)Barney's had just opened THAT DAY in Boston, and I was shopping for a present for myself, and (3)I had just come from my birthday lunch and I was, well, I was . . . OK, I was a teensy little bit under the influence.

It's a beautiful foundation, beautifully packaged. It goes on like a dream and really does give a porcelain finish. The friends who took me out for my birthday dinner noticed how pretty I looked without my even having to, ahem, point it out to them. Why yes, there was candlelight, why do you ask? And champagne.

I enjoyed buying it. The SA was very gracious and very competent. Even though the beauty promotion was over, they had some leftover bags and they gave me a lot of samples and a few full size freebies as well - very generous and kind.

I may even return and buy the bronzer at some point if I'm feeling particularly self-indulgent.

I'm not being allowed to post this unless I say whether I would buy it again or not. Hmph. That depends on the state of the market, my state of mind and whether a makeup line at this price point will survive long enough to still be around when I need a refill. I must say, I do hope it does.

17 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No