October 30, 2014 | 1641 users online

Hair Treatments - Clairol - Natural Instincts Shine Happy clear shine treatment

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by alt629

I have virgin ash blonde hair. I saturated my hair with the treatment but still had some left over, so DH agreed to let me use up the rest in his hair (his is short light brown). I was worried about the reviews saying hair was noticeably lightened. This was not my experience nor was it my husband's (although I had to promise him that he could shave his hair if it was lightened dramatically...). This product did NOT noticeably lighten my hair or my husband's. But it really didn't produce a lot of shine either. My husband and I think there is some minor improvement in shiny-ness, but definitely not enough to justify repurchase or spend 20 doing the treatment for such a negligible result. I think if you want shine, you're probably better off sticking with silk drops or some product like that. It does make hair softer, but probably because you're basically co-washing your hair in the last step. I will also mention that my husband complained that the solution was burning him while he had it on. I noticed really minor sensation on my own scalp. Juice not worth the squeeze IMO.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by missuniverse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't know if this made my hair lighter as i used this in the summer when my light/medium brown hair turned dark blonde/light light brown with auburn tones so i don't know if it changed my hair color but i have used this product twice and it defiantly adds some shine and the conditioner is great but sometimes i don't notice the difference after the second week. It still makes my hair soft and shiny which i really appreciate. :) I will say though as a girl having really thick hair you may need two boxes. I did until i got my hair thinned and then one box worked.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2013 9:35:00 AM More reviews by ptricia435

I didn't have high expectations after reading the reviews but I was pleased with the results. This product improved shine slightly and also improved the texture of my hair. My hair is coarse and prone to frizz and my hair was softer and more manageable for several weeks after using the treatment. I didn't notice any lightening of my hair color either, but my hair color was already at the fading stage when I applied this. Will definitely use this product again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2013 5:27:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I first used this two or three years ago. I remember at the time there were multiple brands/formulations, all claiming to be a clear, no deposit color gloss. I chose Natural Instincts because when I used to color my hair burgundy and fire engine red in high school, it was my go-to brand. Consistent color with lasting results and believable fade out.

Fast forward a decade give or take without coloring my hair at all. I saw this and wanted to give my natural, light brown/dark blonde color a boost. If your hair is darker than the lightest brown, it WILL lift your color. I personally found this to be a pleasant side effect. The application and formulation is EXACTLY like semi perm. coloring. Gloves, developer and color (in this case, clear). I did read the box carefully before applying and noted the possibility it may lighten my hair.

I was conservative and left on not one minute longer than recommended and rinsed. I love, love, love the conditioner! After rinsing, my hair was feeling pretty normal; after conditioning, it felt like silk! After drying and styling, I could barely notice any difference at all in my hair color but loved the shine. I am sure the application and conditioner are equally important in the result. I did not have any root line or visible grow out AT ALL. If anything there was a sliiight difference in my roots and ends, but only if my hair is piled on top of my hair.

Brassiness is NOT a good look on anyone so I understand some of the bad reviews. With regular (every eight weeks) use, the lift will become more obvious each time. For that reason, I only use once a year or so. For me personally it did just what I wanted it to and I will use again from time to time to amp up my shine.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2012 6:18:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

This product does make the hair appear shiny, I'll give it that. But it DID change my hair color. The box notes that it may lighten darker hair so I though I was in the clear as far as hair color changes. I had virgin ash blond hair. I did 2 treatments, 4 weeks apart. Although I didn't notice a huge color change right away, since it's been a few months since using it I now have visible roots. It changed my ash blonde hair a shade lighter. I was hoping that it would just coat the hair and make it shiny.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/31/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by MyBestDay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After reading all of the reviews on here I was absolutely terrified to use this product on my naturally black hair. I really didn't want to change the color at all, but I also didn't want to let the product sit there... What I ended up doing was only using the liquid shine magnifying treatment and NOT mixing it with the activating creme (the part with the hydrogen peroxide). It was a bit runny but I put it in, wrapped a plastic bag around the top of my head and left it for 10 min before washing it out. Worked like a charm. No color change and tons of shine/softness.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2012 6:20:00 PM More reviews by ashleystar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

ICK! Not only did this noticeably lighten my hair (and remove almost ALL of the pretty red that I've had in my hair since September; GRRRR!), but it also dried my hair out (even after conditioning; especially my ends!). AVOID THIS PRODUCT!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2011 12:05:00 AM More reviews by darkeyedfran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS LIGHTENED MY HAIR NOTICEABLY! I was so upset because this is not suppoed to be a dye! Now my natural hair color that I LOVE is more of an average brown and it brought out these red undertones that I didn't know that I had. Thanks Shine happy for making me mad.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2011 11:41:00 PM More reviews by luckystarre

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product without reading MUA reviews and based on the fact that I have always had nice success with Natural Instincts hair color. My hair has been dull looking lately, no matter how often I deep condition, and I needed something to amp up the shine. I wasn't expecting awesome Kate Middleton shine, but I was hoping for a little boost in sheen. As the solution was on my hair, I started reading the MUA reviews here that read that this product didn't do anything for shine, but lightened hair. I got realllly nervous, but I decided to wait the 10 mins the directions say and hope for the best.

My hair DOES have more shine, not a ton, but noticeably more. The product DID lighten my hair a bit...not a lot at all and honestly, if I hadn't read the reviews here, I'm not sure I would have really taken much notice otherwise. It's a bit lighter, but in a I-was-out-in-the-sun-all-day type of lighter, not like I colored my hair.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product, but won't be buying again. It was okay for shine, but I think I'll try some other products instead of repurchasing this. I'll stick to Natural Instincts hair color instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2011 6:51:00 PM More reviews by SpaGoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading all your comments, I am going to only use the shine magnifying treatment and the once a week color treat. I purchased this product thinking it was similar to a semi-permament color and did not realize the gentle activating creme has hydrogen peroxide in it. Hydrogen peroxide is the worst chemical you could put on your hair if it's thin, fragile, curly or prone to split ends and breakage. Also, if you're happy with your color and don't want it lightened. The box was deceiving as I thought I was adding just a little gloss & shine! Once I've completed the treatment, I will give an update on the results. Wish me good locks!!!!