July 28, 2014 | 1336 users online

Eyeliner - Shu Uemura - Drawing Pencil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I bought this eyeliner in black based on the postive reviews here and was not disappointed. It definitely has staying power, although it has a waxy texture in order to adhere to the skin. As a result, it doesn't blend well. This eyeliner is best for drawing lines, hence the name. If you're used to smudging and blending your eyeliner into your eyeshadow like I am, this will not budge much once you've applied it. Compared to my current eyeliner, UD 24/7 Zero, they are about equal in color but the UD has more slip and smudges more.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by lucybrown

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Does not budge, and I have very oily lids. Rich colour lasts the whole day, so no checking in the mirror for raccoon eyes. Does what eye liners are supposed to do.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2011 11:03:00 AM More reviews by miumew

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Overall: An excellent eyeliner which strikes a balance between being long wearing and blendable. I always use NARS Smudge Proof Primer to keep my eye makeup in place all day but generally experience some fading towards the end of the day. My liner stays in place with good strong colour until I'm ready to remove it. I can sharpen it to create a crisp line, or apply it and blend with a smudge brush or blender to create something softer. It also blends well to create a base for other shadows. So, no complaints at all. I have it in M Brown 02 which is a rich, dark chocolate brown.

Price: 15.50. As I always buy high-end cosmetics, I'm used to paying a premium but overall I find that all Shu products are very well priced considering their quality.

Packaging Quality - excellent, simplistic.

Would I buy this again?: Yes, absolutely.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2011 4:50:00 AM More reviews by momohachi

I am definitely satisfied with this product! I bought ME Brown and this is by far my best eyeliner. Having the oiliest of lids, I tend to smudge a lot (tried using MAC Powerpoint, Bobbie Brown gel liner, Dior - they all smudged in about an hour or two) but this is the only product that stayed with me. Very easy to apply to boot. Will definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2011 2:38:00 AM More reviews by daxisaurus

Even though this is expensive, this is by far my favorite eyeliner of all time. I bought ME Brown 02 and it is my go-to, everyday, natural-looking eyeliner. Even on my very oily lids (where even waterproof formulas fail), this seems to stay almost all day without migrating below my bottom lashes. The pencil is slightly smudgy, because it's soft it's hard to get a very precise line, but I prefer slightly smudgy for myself anyways. My only complaint is that it is very hard to sharpen since it's so soft.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2010 10:43:00 AM More reviews by hazefree2002

Smudges very badly.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2010 7:00:00 PM More reviews by dizzypanda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

bought the me black today and tested it on the upper waterline on one eye so that i could compare the smudge factor.

took some time to tightlight the upper eyelid (might be cause it was brand new) but once on, did not smudge once and i've been wearing it for around 5 hours so far. = D finally found a product to replace my anessa eye liner (as it is discontinued and was only sold in japan >_<)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by CharismaSL

I have this in ME Black (or something like that - that is greyish-charcoal with shimmer) and although I love the colour it is a horrible eyeliner. It smudges like crazy which I cannot stand. Not using it up - in the garbage it goes. I do not like raccoon eyes within a few MINUTES of wear. Not repurchasng.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 2:15:00 AM More reviews by bloodyroses

I figured it's much more useful to review 7 different pencil liners at the same time. For reference, I'm Asian, my eyes are not hooded and are very sensitive. I wear contacts and my seasonal allergies go berserk when spring comes, so they get really watery and itchy. I never wear liner alone--always with eyeshadow primer and eyeshadow. The bottoms of my lids are not oily. The objective was to test out how these liners wear on the waterline

LISE WATIER WATERPROOF EYELINER in NOIR INTENSE

This liner definitely STAYS put. Just watch out if you're crying--then it can get a little smudgey. It's very smooth--no skipping or anything. It's also really pigmented, so you only need to draw the line once. It wears really well on the upper waterline, the upper lashline and the lower lashline, but when you put it on the lower waterline, it doesn't stay on. It fades from the lower waterline and also feels sticky--I've figured out that this is part of this particular liner's stay-put quality. The wear on the other parts of the eye are all-day. Lower waterline wear is just a little uncomfortable and lasts only about half an hour (which is good--the sticky feeling won't bother you the whole day, then). 17CAD, found at London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart and Sears Canada.

LANCOME LE CRAYON KHOL in BLACK EBONY

Super sotty black. Like, THE blackest black. Super easy to apply because of the high pigmentation. But aside from that, it's no fun to wear. In about half an hour, I no longer have a prettily lined waterline--instead it has migrated three times the thickness of the original line and it DOESN'T come off. Well, not unless I go at it with a q-tip soaked in makeup remover, but really, who carries makeup remover in their purse? 27CAD at The Bay, Sears Canada, Sephora, Shoppers Drug Mart and London Drugs.

MAC EYE KOHL in SMOLDER

For an eye kohl pencil, the staying power is really not that bad. It's about 2 hours of perfection. As the day goes on, it fades away. It does smudge, as well, but minimal. An "eh" pencil. One could do better. But if your eyes aren't very watery or anything, it'd probably be great for you. 17.50CAD at MAC at The Bay, MAC, MAC Pro.

SHU UEMURA DRAWING PENCIL in M BLACK 01

Hard to put on the waterline. It's probably because it's a waterproof pencil trying to draw on a wet waterline. It's very smooth and very black, though. Staying power is NIL. Absolutely nil. It was so bad, I returned it in a flash. After about an hour, it fades away COMPLETELY from the waterline and migrates waaaaaaaaay down below the lower lashline. 25CAD at Holt Refrew.

MAKE UP FOR EVER AQUA EYES in 0L

After the makeup board was recommending me this liner, I decided to try it out. I'm disappointed. It literally is the same story as the Shu drawing pencil. Very black with panda eyes in an hour, flat. Sigh. 19CAD at The Bay, Sephora, Sears Canada and Shoppers Drug Mart.

URBAN DECAY 24/7 GLIDE ON EYE PENCIL in ZERO

Again, another liner that just pissed me off. Everyone I talked to promised that it'd be THE liner and I was particularly excited because when Sephora opened just last summer, I made it part of my first purchase there. And you know what? Exact same story as the Shu drawing pencil and the MUFE liner. Pooey. 21CAD at Sephora.

MAC POWERPOINT in ENGRAVED

This liner has the same consistency as the Lise Watier liner, but this one actually stays much longer on the waterline, without that weird stickiness. Very smooth. You might need to run the liner over twice over the same place to make it darker, though. The fading is very gradual and very neat--it doesn't smudge and leave a mess below the lashline. I believe it only started to fade after 4 hours. So far, this liner wins the contest. 17.50CAD at MAC at The Bay, MAC, MAC Pro.

Phew. That was long. Hope this helps someone!

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 9:23:00 AM More reviews by frucht_tasche

The best longlasting eyeliner ever! Before using this, I used BB and Mac gel liners, which are good but not as good (sometimes smudged, not as longlasting). This pencil applies very easily, the textual is very soft and creamy, yet longlasting. It never smudges even in hot and humid weather. My only gripe is that I use it up quite fast, but it's not that bad. I will definitely repurchase.