July 22, 2014 | 2356 users online

Masks - Sea Salt Mask

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2014 9:11:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

This is crazy! How did I never hear about this before? So thrilled with these results...

As I've gotten older and found better products, my skin has cleared considerably but my hormonal cysts from that TOM still plague me occasionally. Unfortunately, I have a problem with picking at these which leads to an even bigger mess. Enter help from the experts at MUA! I read about using sea salt to dry up these issues and remembered how seawater would clear up my teenage acne (and even my baby sister's stubborn diaper rash, but that's a whole other story). For the price, I figured I had nothing to lose!

I put some water in a teacup and added a bunch of the natural sea salt from my cupboard, then popped in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stirred til dissolved, then used a funnel to pour into a travel-sized 4 oz bottle.

Twice a day, I use a cotton round to apply this solution to my popped-cyst mess. Let sit for 5 minutes (stings but doesn't BURN) and then rinse. This dried and flattened my cyst within a DAY and is helping it to heal so well and quickly! I couldn't be happier with the results!!

Still hoping to have better self control and KEEP MY HANDS OFF, but at least this has helped me out. Would like to try this on un-popped zits to see if it can't help dry them up.

As always, thanks to you wise members here at MUA for helping me out. Love this site!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 9:03:00 PM More reviews by ziastarlight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

After a recent dip in the salty Atlantic, I discovered that some spots I had been battling were greatly reduced. What was amazing was how my skin was not dry or irritated--but surprisingly smooth. As I stared out into the ocean, the golden afternoon sun warming my back, the revelation came to me suddenly--sea salt, for everyday use.

One morning recently I woke up with some angry bumps fighting for their existence on my face. I mixed about half a teaspoon into my usual fuller's earth+turmeric zit zapping masque, and patted it on. I left it on for about 30 minutes, not noticing any itchiness or anything. When I washed it off, to my supreme joy--my skin was obscenely smooth. And not greasy, or dry. Perfect. It was perfect.

I dissolved another half teaspoon into my rosewater toner, and sprayed it on. Yet again, my skin is smooth and not greasy. I feel that the tiny bumps that spring up on my forehead are greatly diminished.

I would give this fifty lippies if I could. Literally a fraction of a penny, and an incredible ingredient.

Remember to use sea salt, not regular table salt. Table salt is just sodium chloride, sea salt has many other minerals in it that do the good stuff. Sea salt is very cheap and can be found anywhere. Morton's has a sea salt, but you can also buy it in bags at Asian or Indian grocery stores quite cheaply.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately sea salt always causes itchy, sore breakouts all over my face whether I use it straight or as an ingredient in something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:09:00 PM More reviews by lovelydana

So, a few days ago after reading great things about sea salt for acne, I decided to try it out. What I do is fill a small spray bottle about 1/4 the way full with natural sea salt (I got mine for like $2 at Target!), and then fill to the top with warm water. Then, I shake it up until all of the salt has dissolved. Morning and night, I spray a generous amount all over my face after cleansing. I leave it on for about 3 minutes, and then blot the excess off with some toilet tissue. I don't rinse it off! In the morning, I'll apply my moisturizer after it dries all the way.

Right now, it's day 4 (or 5?), and my skin has been doing nothing but clearing up! My forehead only has a few tiny bumps, and I have a few spots on my cheeks/mouth area that are still clearing up. I definitely noticed a purge starting after the second or third day, but it was nothing too bad. I've also noticed that I don't have to apply as much moisturizer anymore! For the first few days, I feel like the salt was dehydrating my skin, but now it seems to have a slight moisturizing effect! This morning I didn't even have to moisturize! I'll definitely keep using and update you guys!

UPDATE (AFTER 2 WEEKS):
Still loving it! My skin has been looking better and better as the days go on. I do still get random breakouts, but nothing compared to what I used to get. I've noticed that it is more effective if I don't follow up with a moisturizer. Morning and night, I'll just wash my face, apply my sea salt toner, and I'm good for the day/night. I've also started applying the mixture with a cotton pad rather than spraying it on. I like the light exfoliation from the cotton pad. I've also noticed that my skin feels a lot softer and smoother. I'm hoping my complexion keeps improving as I continue with this routine! I'll update again in a week or so!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by saldiamond

So far, i've tried this only twice, but i'm so impressed.

i always get big juicy whiteheads (ew i know lol) and 1 or 2 cysts around that time of the month, and usually i just have to let time do its job and the pimples will calm down in a week or so. this time, two whiteheads burst while i was washing my face, and i don't know why but i came up with the idea to put diluted sea salt on them to disinfect them. i then covered them with a bandaid and went to bed.

usually the next morning they would still be raised pimples without the pus, but this time they were totally flat! one of them i couldn't even tell where it was o:

totally amazing. i'm going to try it a few more times and update my review, hence the 3 stars.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

Oh yeah this works. I've been dealing with a serious, out-of-the-blue, unrelenting acne breakout for the last 2-3 weeks. I honestly forgot how frustrating a serious breakout can be, I had been enjoying good-to-excellent skin for a long stretch of time up until recently. Anyway, long story short, I read about the Sea Salt Mask here on the Product Reviews and out of sheer desperation I gave it a try.
I dissolved a large amount of sea salt (just stuff from my kitchen) into a bowl of hot water, dipped my Shiseido cottons into the mixture and applied all over. And it stung. It stung so badly I almost washed it off immediately, but I waited it out and just let it dry. Rinsed with cleanser after about thirty minutes and moisturized as usual.
This is drying. Absolutely. But what acne treatment isn't drying? That's just the name of the game. The point is one day later my blemishes are all shriveled up, drying out, and peeling off. My skin overall looks smoother and more even, it's almost given me a peeling-effect but without all the post-peeling trauma. I am so glad I tried this. Don't be scared- give it a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2014 3:43:00 PM More reviews by scooterj

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I only use a water/seasalt dilution as a toner that I do rinse after 5 - 30 minutes later.... and moisturize as needed. Sea salt can be healthy for you.... particularly topically and SEA salt. just look into it biochemically. I noticed the clearing of my complexion every time I traveled seaside, California, isle of Skye, Vancouver....

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2014 2:18:00 PM More reviews by llizron

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Do not use Salt on your face!!! Salt is bad news...you will end up with dehydrated skin and horrible texture!!! beware!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

WHAT THE EVERLOVING MEATBALL.

This has almost COMPLETELY cleared up my face!!!!!

Here are the steps I take to using salt in my face routine:

1. Take a small bowl, fill with hot water,and pour in salt. Don't be shy with it people, pour in a butt load of that salt, to where you think it's excessive. Go big or go home.

2. Mix it up and let it sit for a minute, so as to make sure all the salt is dissolved.

3. Take a cotton ball and dip it into the salt water, use it all over that beautiful face of yours, or just as a spot treatment.

4. When using it all over the face, don't rinse immediately, seriously, hold your horses. continue rubbing into your face for a while for maximum benefits. When using it as a spot treatment, leave the cotton ball on the blemish for 3 minutes. Take out a magazine, browse some social media, conquer your enemies, whatever you want to do in that three minutes, do it. You can do anything you lovely reader, you. Believe in yourself.

5. After you remove the cotton ball, and finish following your dreams, there is no need to rinse any salt water left on the blemish. Just leave it on there, apply your daily moisturizer, and continue living your life to the fullest.

I have seen results from this in as little as a 12 hours. When using it as a spot treatment, you will notice that after you remove the cotton ball, the blemish will appear significantly smaller. But don't get too excited my friend, it isn't THAT immediate, and the blemish will get larger again, but don't worry when that happens, because the salt is already working to remove bacteria inside the blemish! So rest assured that you will have great results later!

This is my go to blemish buster, and I hope it works for you too :D

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 3:24:00 PM More reviews by mooseyroach

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't use sea salt on it's own because it can be really drying. I mix a teaspoon of sea salt, a teaspoon of honey and a couple of drops of tea tree oil and mix into a paste. It's a really good "healing" mask and is good for clearing up spots. Because sea salt is quite abrasive I put it on really gently, I leave it on for a good twenty minutes and then wash it off with water, I find that washing it off exfoliates my skin well because the salt is rubbing against my skin. Again I do this gently, I washed it off like I would a normal cleanser and I ended up with scratches all over my face! For people with dry skin this mask is good because sea salt can be quite drying but the honey counteracts that

Oh, I also sometimes add sea salt into my bath if I'm having a long soak :)