August 21, 2014 | 1869 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Hard as Wraps - Acrylic Gel

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by QuothetheRaven

I can't really say whether or not this product had any strengthening power on my nails because it peeled off every time I applied it within an hour or so of application. In doing so it would take slivers of my nails with it. It did the same thing to my mother's nails. Will not be finishing the bottle, let alone repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 5:57:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I use this as a base and top coat all the time. It dries fast and does the job. My nails feel much stronger with it than without. I don't find many top or base coats that do that job. It makes my polish last longer than others I have tried as well.

Formula is great, no streaky application or being too thick. Consistency is just right. Definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 9:32:00 PM More reviews by chimera59

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Strangely mixed reviews on this one. I got the one in the blue bottle which was around $4 at Target. I have found that this makes my nails very strong. I have weak nails that peel and break easily, and don't grow much past my fingertips. When I wear it alone, people compliment me on my nails. I have noticed this chips easily. However, this makes your nails STRONG. Pay attention when you try to take it off using regular remover-it is very difficult as this bonds to your nails, which it what it's supposed to do. I wonder if this is the cause of some of the peeling others have mentioned. I haven't had any more peeling issues than normal ( I always have a couple of nails with peelies because I whack them or catch them on something). I like this product and think it delivers on the promise. I've worn this on and off for a few weeks, with polish and alone, and my nails are definitely stronger and I don't have any broken ones and haven't had to nub, which for me is rare. My nails are also longer than normal because they are stronger.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2013 12:31:00 PM More reviews by edenholly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

This makes my nails super hard, like cannot bend them at all hard! They still manage to get some splits/breaks but I'm very rough with my hands and have some vitamin deficiencies/health issues. I'm also lazy with doing my nails, I believe if I applied it more regularly (every few days) then my nails would be fine. They're still longer than they've been in a long time and the strength that this gel gives my nails is *amazing*! I usually use two coats now as my nails are in desperate need of help. I haven't had any issues with lumpiness or slow-drying, it dries faster than any regular nail polish for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2013 2:57:00 PM More reviews by ThisGirlxD14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is BEYOND AMAZING!! My nails are very bendable and flexible and flimsy, especially when I do things involved with water. They're basically like paper. But using this under my orly bonder makes the perfect mani!! My nails are so thick and strong they feel fake. They barely budge when I have it under my polish! It's amazing. Not to mention how versatile it is. You can use it by itself as a pure treatment, as a BaseCoat to help get that acrylic-y feel to your mani, or , considering the fact that this IS acrylic gel, can even use this to try to achieve a shellac manicure, without the high price or curing. This stuff is amazing and I sorts don't get the negative reviews, but whatever. Different people have different effects. I personally love this stuff and im getting a second bottle today just to be positive.
EDIT 🚨: I wouldn't say to completely avoid this stuff, but if you're going to use this, I hope you have a STRONG BaseCoat. I say this because I used this as a BaseCoat on my complete bare and natural nails, which wasn't wise. Because when I took my manicure off, I noticed that about 3 of my nails started peeling. It wasn't that bad. So I just brushed more on on my next mani and acted normal about it. I take my mani off 3 days later and there are more than 3 nails peeling and it's worse. My index and middle fingers are a complete peeling MESS. I was absolutely horrified. This was the only thing that I was putting on my nails so this HAD to be it. It wasn't from lack of moisture because I use olive and tea tree oil in a nail polish bottle EVERY couple of hours. I will still continue to use thise because I want to get my money's worth, but I'm using my vitamin e with 2 layers now and using this stuff. If you buy this dont ever ever EVER put this anywhere NEAR your natural nail. Ever. The only reason I'm even stil using it also is because of its hardening tendencies and the shine. Those are the only positive things I can say about this product. I shouldn't have written a review so quick but I fell love with the product quickly and wanted to rave about it. I am thoroughly dissapointed to find that it depleted the health of my nails. They were smooth and much more healthier before I started using this stuff completely bare. I wanted this to have no flaws or mistakes. And it especially sucks because I bought an extra bottle of this. So now I am stuck with it for a good amount of time. So overall this stuff isn't COMPLETELY HORRIBLE, but it WILL peel your nails if you use it with nothing underneath.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2013 11:19:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

I purchased this is the blue bottle.
Worst stuff I have ever used, after 8 hours with this on my nails I'm still tacky and my polish looks like crap. I got this at shoppers drugmart on sale for $6.99. What a waste of money and time cause now I have to redo my nails. Also my nails in no way feel hard as wraps. Every time I try something new from Sally Hansen I'm utterly disappointed. Especially when it comes to the top coats or strengtheners.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by brooklynbee

This really helped with my peeling/chipping nails - it's a little gummy but it's clear so it's not too hard to apply and not mess it up too badly. It did dry fairly quickly. I wore it for a couple of days on it own, and then I layered a colored polish over it. I had a much easier time than usual with the colored polish, so I must say this works just as well as a base coat as it does on its own. All in all my nails look a LOT better with this then without it!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2012 10:20:00 PM More reviews by KateSchuette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Still as a lotus
I hope for dry nails someday
Life passes me by
I didn't shake it
Bubble little bubble bubs
I give it a 2

18 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 11:36:00 AM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This product single handidly took my nails from strong and beautiful to a peeling weak mess. I purchased this product around Christmas time when I ran out of SH hard as nails thinking I would get the same results. I mainly used it a few days after my manicure to seal it in and prevent chipping and wear. Slowly over the course of the next 4-5 months, it literally destroyed my nails by causing them to peel and making them very brittle. Stupid me for not realizing that this was the culprit earlier but I would never ever recommend this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/3/2012 7:10:00 AM More reviews by jedda

I have the light blue bottle. The gel is thick, and clear. It is not self-leveling, and it can be hard to spread evenly. I have added a few drops of Seche Restore polish thinner, and that has made it easier to work with. I use one thick coat on clean dry nails as a base coat, and let it dry completely before putting polish on my nails. It usually takes about 30 minutes or so before it turns opaque, and then I know that it is hard enough to continue. I always finish everything off with a thick coat of SV or Poshe, and the whole thing is completely hard and dent-free within an hour.

With this 'gel', my manicures last about 3 or 4 days before chipping. I do feel that my nails are protected by the thickness of the gel layer. It isn't good as a top coat, because the drying time is incredibly long when it is applied over polish. It also isn't very shiny.

It does prevent staining when used under red polishes. I probably would not use it on its own. I might or might not repurchase. It is very inexpensive (I paid under $4 at Target), but it isn't a miracle item.