Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 30 for Sensitive Skin

3.8

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 2.5, Octocrylene 0.5, Zinc Oxide 7.0. Inactive Ingredients: Water/Eau, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Panthenol, Niacinamide, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Steareth-21, Cyclopentasiloxane, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Stearyl Alcohol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polyethylene, Behenyl Alcohol, C13-14 Isoparaffin, DMDM Hydantoin, Cetyl Alcohol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, PEG/PPG-20/20 Dimethicone, Laureth-7, Steareth-2, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Disodium EDTA, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

Love how non-greasy this is! Most sunscreens make my already oily t-zone, even more "glowing" throughout the day, but not this one. This has chemical SS ingredient paired with zinc oxide, so it's so much better for my sensitive skin that tends to break out from sunscreens. Also, this is fine to use around my eyes, and does not cause any burning/stinging/watering. I prefer an SPF 30 for everyday incidental sun exposure. I also like the small pump bottle.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So far, I love this moisturizer. I have normal, slightly dry skin and this leaves me moisturized with no greasy finish. I've just gone off accutane, so i have a lot of hyper pigmentation and i needed a basic moisturizer that would not irritate my sensitive skin and that can go around my eyes. This does exactly that. It applies very smoothly (I use about 3-4 pumps to get the full protection I need) and it doesn't emphasize my enlarged pores. I also like that its fragrance free, when you apply it theres that sunscreen smell but it quickly dissipates unlike certain moisturizers. I've been using this for 2 weeks so far and will update if I have a change of heart.

I have used this product since my early 20s (38 here), and I believe my skin is the better for it (not much sun damage, very few wrinkles). I have Fitzpartrick Type I skin, which basically means very susceptible to sun damage (and skin cancer). I can use this all around my eyes, which are sensitive, with zero irritation, so it is a great eye day cream by itself even if you are using another SS on the rest of your face. By the way, this does now offer broad spectrum sun protection since Olay added a small amount of Zno to satisfy FDA regulations on this front.

*Application/Finish:This applies smoothly, with no product balling. It gives a decent amount of hydration, without making the skin too greasy for makeup application. I have no problem wearing foundation over this. I am a tretinoin user, and it keeps my dry skin soft and smooth looking as well as preventing sun spots.The Zno content can give this product a white/pasty look or flashback in photographs. I don't personally have the problem because I am naturally pasty! That is, I'm pale enough that it pretty much blends in perfectly. It might be an issue on darker, warmer skin tones though.

*Ingredients/protection: I appreciate that this is fragrance free (a must for me), as well as the addition of antioxidants like Niacinamide and green tea extract. The the spf ingredients are stable, and I think 7% Zno is fine for incidental sun exposure. Mind you, I don't rely on this as a prime facial sunscreen during Summer months or other serious sun exposure. For example I used the Olay on my face on vacation in the Caribbean, and it pretty much failed the Asian PP standard (persistent pigmentation), meaning I got a lot of color to my face in a very short time, though not a burn. It seems the spf was enough to prevent burning (UVB protection), but that there wasn't enough UVA protection to prevent sun pigmentation, which whether we like it or not, is damaging to the skin. However, I am not normally out and about in the sun or vacationing in places near the equator, so it's great for my daily SS in the Winter or when I am otherwise protected, which is most days.

*Packaging: I really like the pump bottle. It is sleek and hygienic, making it very easy to travel with. however, it does cause significant product waste. There is 7-10 days worth of product left in the bottle by the time the pump stops picking up product. I end up removing the top daily for a week or so at the end of each bottle, which is annoying.

*Tips: 4 pumps amounts to 1/4th tsp, which is the requisite amount to get the label protection of spf 30. I have a very small face, so I usually only use 3 on my face. To get the smoothest finish I apply two pumps, wait 10 mins or so and then apply the rest. I wait at least another 10 mins and go about my other morning stuff before applying makeup.

*Price: In drugstores this often runs near $17.00/bottle, which I think is absurd. I find it for about $10/bottle on Amazon or drugstore.com (NA).

Will continue to repurchase as long as it is available.

In my recent search for more affordable AND more effective skincare, I circled back to this product. I'm pretty sure I tried this about 12 years ago, when I wanted something a little more moisturizing and with a higher SPF than the Complete Sensitive SPF15 that I had used successfully for awhile. I think at that time, I found this too moisturizing and moved on to other (more expensive) options. "Too moisturizing" isn't generally a complaint I have at this stage of my life anymore. When the all-physical Neutrogena Healthy Defense 50 was just too heavy and started showing signs of being pore-congesting, I thought I'd give this another try. I haven't used anything but all-physical sunscreens since my earlier experience with Olay but, since my finicky skin got along okay with Octinoxate then, I thought this was worth a try. First layer is Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum (fragrance-free), then about a pump-and-a-half of this for my face and neck. Takes a little bit of rubbing in but the white cast is minimal. Tarte Amazonian Tinted Moisturizer blends well on top. The result is really nice, glowy, slightly dewy, YOUNGER looking skin. If I'm feeling a little dry, I can easily add a layer of moisturizer after the serum. I must say, I'm really loving Olay these days. Thanks, Makeup Alley & Paula's Choice, for the great recommendations!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Got this at Target for $12.39 to replace my beloved Cerave AM SPF30 which unfortunately does not offer broad UV protection.

I do not recommend this sunscreen at all if you have dry skin. I have dry skin but use plenty of serums and heavy moisturizers underneath sunscreen, so I thought I could get away with it - NOPE. My face was so tight after about an hour's wear.
It takes about 20 minutes for this sunscreen to set and leaves a nice glow, not greasy looking so I think this would be more suited for oily-normal skinned people.

With that being said, this is a good sunscreen for daily wear. Great for when you don't leave the house (UVA rays still attack you through your windows), going to the office, or shopping. It is not water-resistant so when people leave negative reviews because it didn't hold up for a day at the beach, gardening, or attending an outdoor sporting event- it kind of bothers me.

This sunscreen also contains a small amount of Niaminicide. If you are sensitive to that ingredient, you may have a reaction.
I use 3 pumps for my face (1/4 teaspoon), 1 pump for my neck, and then 1 pump on my cleavage wrinkles.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm really impressed with this moisturizer. I've been using expensive moisturizers for years but decided to give this one a try. I have acne prone skin and it has not caused any breakouts. It provides just enough moisture for my oily skin. It doesn't feel greasy or cakey and is fantastic under my liquid foundation. I don't think it would provide enough moisture for someone with dry skin skin though.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Impressive product for the price and overall I would recommend; however, it was not enough moisture for me. It didn't irritate my sensitive skin and I really liked the consistency, but just not enough moisture. This says more about my skin than the product - I struggle with spf products for this reason.

I tried it, gave it to my mother, and went back to my tried and true Olay Total Effects SPF 15 which I find provides my skin sufficient moisture. (Don't worry, I apply a proper sunscreen if I'm going to be outside!)

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I was on a hunt for a moisturizer with sunscreen that contained mineral actives to shield my skin from the sun's summer rays and went through many products until I found this one. This lotion has a creamy base that isn't to rich for my combination skin. It combines traditional sunscreen chemicals with 7% zinc oxide for broad spectrum protection. This moisturizer works well under makeup and leaves only a slight white cast. This lotion contains antioxidants, green tea and vitamins to nourish your skin as well. It doesn't break out my skin which is also a plus. Overall this is a very impressive drugstore moisturizer except for the fact that is not water resistant. I've noticed that if I sweat this lotion begins to sweat off and drip off my face. This is not a major issue since I work in an air condition environment and only make small excursions to my car and home. If this was water resistant it would get five stars.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was looking for something that would hydrate my skin but not too much (I have normal combo skin) but also give me sufficient sun protection (at least spf 25). This did the trick and I love that it has a pump. It didn't do anything extra but it did exactly what it said- hydrates and protects from the sun.

I really wanted to like this. But this was not nearly moisturizing enough for my skin. I used this for only a few days, but my skin was so dry and scaly. I was so surprised at how little moisture this offered for my skin. I like the fact that it was SPF 30, but it's not worth dehydrating my skin for.