July 26, 2014 | 972 users online

Hair Color - Schwarzkopf - LIVE Hair Dyes

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:07:00 AM More reviews by Nohinsara

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought 43 Red Passion. This colour is fine for virgin hair, but if your hair is in any way treated already, especially with bleach, stay well away. the virgin hair at my root came out ok, just a red tinge of brown, since this colour cannot lift the colour of my natural hair, which is a medium brown. However the midshafts and ends are not good. Patchy and very uneven. This box is not a great choice for colour levelling, so if that's what you are trying to do, best go to Sally's and get something professional.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/16/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by chelzeh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is good! It dyes your hair without bleaching its amazing

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2012 6:54:00 AM More reviews by apricotcloud

Wow, I am impressed with this dye.

My hair is naturally medium brown but I have been bleaching it for years so already when I coloured it, it was a light blonde.

Basically, I had roots regrowth and the underside of my hair needed brightening (to blonde). I picked 'Max Blonde' as it was the lightest of all the blonde shades. I was slightly worried it would come out 'platinum'/that horrible white colour but thankfully it didn't!

I left it on about 25 minutes and it came out the most realistic, natural blonde, I'm so pleased!

I usually mix up my own powder/bleach using Jerome Russell but this seems a lot better conditioning as Jerome Russell can sometimes seem a bit drying. Plus this was easier to get all the back/underside bits because it's more liquiddy in texture than the creamy/dry Jerome Russell.

Definitely will repurchase, for £4 you can't go wrong. This would cost me £100+ with the length of my hair in a salon!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2012 6:49:00 AM More reviews by SanyaX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Omg this stuff actually lightens your hair without bleeching it ! I've dyed my hair loads of time to lighten my hair as its naturally a dark brown colour. So I decided to ombré my hair and bought the platinum blonde colour and it worked !!!!!! I left it on for about 20mins and the results came out perfect considering I've used other hair dyes. Would highly recommend if u wana ombré dark hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 6:16:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've used Schwarzkopf Live hair dyes for years; mainly I stick to the XXL Live range as the purple shades are my favourite, but I've also used the Live Luminance, Live Salon Style and the new Color Mask range. I sometimes try another brand now and then, but I always return to Schwarzkopf Live as the colour swathes on the boxes are the most reliable out of popular DIY har dye brands I've used, such as Schwarskopf, L'Oreal, Garnier, John Frieda and Clarol.

In my ongoing hair colour journey only XXL Live Real Red has disappointed me, as though the colour turned out like the box's model, it faded very quickly. Yes, I know that red dyes are the fastest to fade, but Real Red still fades quicker then is usual for red; within a week my hair had dulled to a murky copper tone. The Live Luminance [Ultra Violet] shade I tried was underwhelming; not bad, but not great either - more pink/red, then violet.

"Meh" results aside, I have had much more hits then misses with Live; XXL Live's Max Blonde, Absolute Platinum, Red Passion, Mystic Violet, Hypnotic Red, Glam Rock Black, Cyber Purple, Live Salon Style in Dark Violet and Color Mask in Dark Blonde are the shades I have fond memories off. They're all permanent shades, that haven't damaged my hair and all have left my hair shiny. The non-red shades all have minimal fade, in fact I often don't even need to bother with a colour protecting shampoo or conditioner, as the colour fade is so unnoticeable!

There is not much else to say; Schwarzkopf dyes are affordable when they're full priced, and there are often BOGOF or other money saving offers on them in Boots, Superdrug or Asda.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 6:33:00 AM More reviews by danniav

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used XXL Live for years. I have tried Red Passion, Cosmic Blue, Red Black, Cyber Purple, Intense Red, Jet Black, Mystic Violet and Hypnotic Red. I have also used Absolute Platinum Max Blonde and Ice Blonde (When Lightening My Hair). Due to me changing my hair colour quite often I've noticed my hair can become dry after lightening mainly. To keep my hair healthy I use Loreal Elvive Colour Protect shampoo and conditioner. It keeps your hair in good condition after dying. I've noticed if you want a bright result you need to lighten your hair first. The real pain is getting the black out after using XXL Live to go another colour. You end up ginger a few shades later but I only lighten twice before putting another colour over it. Hope this helps :)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2012 3:58:00 PM More reviews by ToniFierce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using the colour Red Passion for a year now and I love it! Its a lovely shade of red, not too bright but still noticeable. Lasts for a long time. I have tried other brands in the past and have not been as satisfied as when I've used this. Would recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2012 11:37:00 AM More reviews by LivFormston1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have natural ash blonde hair that was turning mousier as I was getting older. Not having any of it, I dyed my hair chocolate brown. Since then I've been through a rainbow of colours from black, to ginger, to plum, but this is the only hair dye which has actually suited me, and receives soooo many compliments :) I used the Passion Red colour, and have been using it for the last six months, and I can vouche for it 100%. The ammonia smell is quite strong, but seeing as I wear contact lenses, it didn't affect me much. Just be sure to open a window.
The gloves they give you are probably fashioned for mutants, because they are so large, so pick up some fitted latex gloves instead. The colour is slightly drippy, but as soon as it's on your head I've had no problem with it running down my neck/face. The conditioner they give you is INSANELY good, leaving your hair smelling lovely, shiny as hell, smooth and silky. The colour isn't as bright as on the box, but is richer and gorgeous. And I find myself only needing to re-dye it to cover my roots, because the colour hardly fades at all! Get so many compliments because of my fair skin/blue eyes/red hair combination. I've repurchased before, and I'm going to carry on doing so. Thanks, schwarzkopf! :D

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2011 8:50:00 AM More reviews by julia89

Schwarzkopf live xxl max blonde

Overall I kind of like it!

2 weeks ago I was a chocolate brunette now I'm a brassy light blonde (going to tone it obviously) and it was fairly easy & inexpensive to get here!

Admittedly It took 2 applications to get to this light brassy stage.

(The first application turned orange.
The second a mix of peach and blonde)

but i must take into account the fact that my hair was very dark and very over processed! Plus I have bleached my sisters hair enough times to know you CANNOT avoid the brass do I can't blame the product for that.

Pros

It's fairly cheap & ALWAYS seems to be on offer, I got two for £8.

It doesn't ruin your hair, like I said, I've used this on 2 separate occasions in fairly rapid succession & my hair fine! It's a little dry but that's normal behaviour for my hair in the winter months so how much is the bleach and how much is the weather is hard to gauge. Either way it's nothing a deep conditioning or two won't fix!

Having said that my hair was in good condition anyway, so maybe that's why it was more resilient to the bleaching, what this product would do damaged or more delicate hair I can't say!

Cons
The consistency is gritty & thick making application hard! I thought I wouldn't have enough even though I had two and may hair is only an inch or so past my collar bones. I did but it was a struggle!

The smell, omg, I know it's chemicals so it's stupid to expect a pleasant smell but this is toxic. Ensure you're well ventilated the fumes are strong not too mention dangerous!

The gloves, pick up a separate pair because unless you have hands like a GIANT MAN they will not fit you. The are perforated and huge and make application all the more difficult.

Overall if you want to lighten your hair to that pale brassy stage you need to get to in order to tone it and what to do it as quickly as possible with minimum damaged than I would recommend this!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by uyai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

My hair is naturally black but very flat and dull with a slight brown undertone to it. I purchased the shade COSMIC BLUE which is basically a blue-black colour. I'll start off by saying that it is the least damaging dye I've come across, not to mention the colour is super intense and rich looking. The dye itself did not smell too harsh; I could smell a slight sweetness to it actually (I'm guessing the added pomegranate fruit extract they add to the formula).

The conditioner included was lovely...smelt gorgeous and left my hair ridiculously soft and shiny. I've never seen my hair so shiny and feel so smooth. As I mention later the colour it turned out was not what I expected, but I still really liked it! A nice deep velvety raven black. The day after I dyed it I bumped into a friend and she asked if I'd dyed my hair, when I told her yes she said it looked amazing and made my usual flat black colour much more "rich" looking. It's also pretty cheap as it's under £6 at Sainsbury's, and the colour itself lasts a good time without fading.

Onto the bad points; quite possibly one of the messiest dyes ever. Somehow it managed to get on my floors, windows, walls, tiles, towels...it also stained my legs, arms, chest, shoulders and hands really badly. It was just very runny and drippy, something which I don't like as I'm used to creme formulas such as L'Oreal Preference that don't make a mess. It left huge stains on my forehead (my fault for not using vaseline on my hairline, but tbh none of the other dyes I've used in the past have ever stained my skin even when they drip down off my hair onto my forehead/body...they just rinse off in the shower. But this one was another story) - I scrubbed at them with one of those japanese Salux clothes for 10 minutes and still had big blue-black stains across my forehead that lasted about 2-3 days.

Secondly, the colour was nowhere near as described/pictured on the box. There was no blue tone to my hair whatsoever, not even a slight tint in direct sunlight. I was initially very disappointed in that. And lastly it takes so long to wash out. I was in the shower rinsing my hair out for about 25 minutes and the water was still running purple. I still had dye running out after my second and third washes.

Despite the negatives I am pretty happy with the results and I can see myself repurchasing next time I have to dye my hair.