January 29, 2015 | 1961 users online

Treatments (Face) - Alpha Hydrox - Retinol Night ResQ

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2015 9:41:00 AM More reviews by ccolleen

I purchased this about 9-10 months ago after seeing what long-term retinol use could do on /r/skincareaddiction, where another user also recommended this product. I figured it couldn't hurt to try as its inexpensive and I was beginning to notice a few lines on my forehead in addition to acne all along my cheeks, large pores on my cheekbones, and dry skin anywhere that wasn't my T-zone. I needed some HELP!

I didn't really notice any changes until maybe 7 months into using this product every other night after my cleanser and before my moisturizer, when I noticed my acne was mostly cleared and my pores were less crater-like. I kept up with this and now I have zero spots and the old hyperpigmentation from previous breakouts is also fading. My skin has never looked this great. Some nights I go out without any foundation or cover-up, just a little eyeshadow and lippy! I never thought I would be able to do that!

I don't know what did it either, but I don't remember a purging stage. I definitely had some flare-ups but those could be attributed to other things too, like my affinity for skin-picking or a head cold (I break out when I'm sick).

I'm definitely a life-long fan, and I loooveeee looking at my skin in the morning now. I did subtract one lippy because one noticeable forehead line hasn't gone away (so its not a miracle product!) but I do notice a few other light feathery ones disappear when I use this religiously (meaning every night rather than every other)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2015 11:24:00 PM More reviews by yjanney

For the price, this is a good product. I couldn't find this in a store around me but it was easily available online (got it on drugstore.com). There's no scent, which I like. This has a light, creamy texture but never makes me greasy and doesn't cause acne. I've used several retinol products in the past, so I've never experienced irritation or dryness with this stuff. I only use it about 2 or 3 times a week, though.
I haven't noticed much of a change in fine lines or wrinkles, so I took off one lippy for that. However, this helps keep my face clearer, evens out skin tone, and makes my skin smoother. I am still searching for an HG retinol product so I'll probably try other products, but I would buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2014 4:25:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

I bought this over a year ago and still haven't finished the original tube. I am one who never got past the flaky skin from prescription retinol products so I thought an over-the-counter version would be a more appropriate alternative. This Alpha Hydrox Retionol Night ResQ cream doesn't cause flaking or redness but it does dry out my skin every time I use it, even as little as 3-4 times per a week (in spite of 2x daily use of moisturizers). Ironically, the drying effect made wrinkles more pronounced. As a result, I stopped using it the past six months. Two years after I really began in earnest to go the anti-aging route with my skincare routine, I find I need something to boost my usual "Deep Facial Lines" wrinkle cream, a Freeman product sold under the Vita-K Professional name, which contains a high concentration of peptides but not nearly as much retinol. I'm going to give this Alpha Hydrox product a try again, with the hope that if I stick with it the drying stage will be temporary. I will update the review if I see any improvement over my original experience. If I don't get past the drying, however, I intend to try Nuetrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream, which also contains a higher-than-average amount of retinol for an OTC product.

8/31/14 Update: I continue to work my way through this tube on a nightly basis — although I suspect it may not be as potent as it used to be. So far, I'm not seeing the drying effect I described before. (I also use my regular moisturizer and anti-aging peptide formula alongside this.) I have two age spots that seem to be fading but other than that I do not see any positive changes. To the contrary, I am going through a major purging episode, probably THE worst breakout I have had in years. I hope it's temporary. If I see any benefits, I'll update this review.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 1:53:00 PM More reviews by neptunesglow

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Nothing like it for skin firming and the price is amazingly reasonable. Buy it at the Neoteric site for the best deals. Neoteric is the company name; Alpha Hydroxy is the product line name. I stocked up on a buy two get one free deal they run every so often.
I dab some under my eyes too. Used a very tiny amount to test and wow, nothing has ever, ever, ever firmed up that area so fast. I do give the skin there a rest about every 3rd night and apply a regular eye cream. I use it on the rest of my face too. It's my regular night cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2014 4:29:00 AM More reviews by JetJockey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin decided to start aging early. No matter how much water I drank, no matter how healthily I ate, no matter how well I protected my skin from the sun. I started noticing the "11's" between my brows when I was only 21. By the time I was 24, my under-eye skin was crepey with not-so-fine lines, I had laugh lines, and the lines on my forehead were visible from several feet away. I have never been one to yearn for unrealistically-youthful skin as I get older, but to have all of that happen to my skin when I was only in my early-mid 20's was quite bothersome.
I tried products recommended by my dermatologist, but none of them worked nearly as well as this ResQ at smoothing out my skin texture. I have read that retinol is the best ingredient to look for in anti-aging products. I started with using it only under my eyes (every 2-3 nights), as that was the area that was the worst. In about a week, I saw great results. It helped with the other problem areas on my face as well. It is not quite a miracle cure for me, but it works much better than anything else I have tried, and I continue to use it every other night, applied on clean/dry skin, followed by my moisturizer a few minutes later.

In regards to it's use for acne: I do not get acne very often at all, but it has seemed to help increase the recovery time whenever I do get a pimple here and there. I've had some disappear in only 2 days. It also helps with any leftover scarring.

One downside is that my skin seems to rapidly deteriorate whenever I stop using it to experiment with some other anti-aging product. But none of them have worked as well as this, and I will definitely continue to use it, until (or if) I find something better.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by kittykatty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product was a complete nightmare. I do not have sensitive skin but this broke me out. I waited for 5 months for the "purging period" to stop. horrible horrible product. I am using Paula's Choice BHA resist weightless body treatment to help me get rid of the acne ( although it says body it is gentle enough for my face). That combined with Aztec Healing clay + Braggs apple cider vinegar mask is slowly bringing my skin back to normal.
You have been warned!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 2:36:00 AM More reviews by puta1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a great product! It has worked wonders on my combo, acne-prone skin. I have definitely noticed a reduction in pore size and my acne is clearing up. Also, my skin is a lot more glowy. I have been using the product for about a week. I am so surprised it works so well, and so quickly to boot.

I apply it on top of moisturizer at night. In the morning, I wash my face and apply moisturizer and sunscreen. Being diligent about this helps, as the product is strong.

The packaging is nice, a metal-ish tube that doesn't allow a ton of oxygen to get to the product.

The price is amazing for something that works so well, I got mine for ~$12 on sale from drugstore.com. This will definitely be a staple in my skincare routine if it continues to work!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by kathyfff

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used Philosophy Help Me at night for years. On a suggestion by a friend, I tried the ResQ. I purchased 2 tubes for the price of one Philosophy. This wins hands down. It is not as thick, so one tube goes along way. I can see and feel the difference in one week. The only problem I had was I could not find it any stores, I had to order online. I purchased it from the Dermstore and it took 3 weeks for delivery. I will buy again, just from somewhere else.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2014 2:18:00 AM More reviews by Iweartoomucheyeliner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Not a miracle but definately noticed a difference in ance flareups. I was hoping it would be stronger. Overall great product for the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Tuskygirl

This stuff is amazing!! Rather skeptical with the entire product range at first but after using this in conjunction with the 12% soufflé during the day, my skin looks better than when was in my teens! Affordable and if works, need I say more. Given its price you don't really gave anything to lose. Just wish it was readily available in the UK other than on ebay and amazon.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No