April 21, 2014 | 1033 users online

Liquid - Merle Norman - Luxiva Lasting Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2014 9:31:00 PM More reviews by marcie0161

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After nearly a full year of trying out various foundations, Merle Norman Lasting Foundation has grabbed my attention! After Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation had a down-grade in quality and available shades, I literally went into a foundation search rage. I am in my early 50's and have normal to dry skin. I have tried every med-full coverage foundation, looking for same properties as the ELDW. Three days ago, I remembered a friend who had been a Merle Norman user for years. I went to their store. First I was told about the different foundations and then given a sample of the Long Lasting Foundation in Pure Beige.
The color match was absolutely the same as Fresco in ELDW's old formula. So for the past 2 days I have worn this new foundation to work, as a nurse, very happy with the end of day look. It is so similar to ELDW old formula that honestly, I couldn't tell the difference.
I have used the Merle Norman wrinkle reducer moisturizer underneath and this foundation went on so smoothly. My advice would be if you used to be an ELDW and are disappointed with the changes, this foundation may surprise you in price, quality, coverage and longevity. I know I am feeling a big sigh of relief.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2014 11:08:00 PM More reviews by isabellayessi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can say from my mid-20's this product did NOT work for my skin . I have dry skin and it was hard taking the makeup off and it made now my skin oily and I am going back to my MONAVE makeup that I used before even if I have to wait a little long time to get in the mail . But, I will never try other product again if it makes you break out .

Than, I had worse customer service experience and the lady there wasn't helpful and didn't look like she cared that I needed help most of the time so, I went ahead and took my business to other location which is better because I wasn't treated out the door and they took time find my skin tone. I am a Hispanic women and I had to buy 2 types to match my skin ..which made me spend a lot more then expected and I will never go thru that hell again to be treated like I don't have the money when I sure do . I did notice a lot of older ladies there and now I understand if you are old like heck...as I will be one day..but I would never go to them ever ever again . even if I get into my 40's..I will be bare faced and all . no offense to older women is just that is the vibe I got when I was at the store and the sales lady was old too and they had boring eye shadows and nothing updated ...they need to update to younger folks.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 7:11:00 PM More reviews by onemacmom4u

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I asked the MN lady for a full coverage foundation that would last at least 4 hours without retouching. I have an oily T-zone, and when I get nervous I'll get shiny quick! She went right to this one. My shade is Vanilla. This stuff lasts 6 hours w/o having to touch up. It looks a bit dry upon application. Hardly need powder (tho I use their loose anyway). Will definitely buy this again. Full coverage, lasting foundation indeed. I do recommend the Merle Norman primer, as it works better than my other primers with this base.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

It's very very hard to find Foundations for my very picky skin. I have Celiacs and MUST have Gluten free foundation. Not a lot of companies are upfront about what has Gluten and what doesn't and absolutely hate mineral makeup as it ages me and settles into fine lines.

I bought this last weekend and have been wearing it every single day and no irritation, no breakouts and believe me my skin reacts to Gluten and heavy fragrances. It doens't take more than hour of wearing something for me to get a rash or breakout in bumps. It gives me a semi matte of somewhat luminous look. I normally go for as natural as possible but with my very strict guidelines for makeup, I sometimes have no choice and a lot of so called natural and organic brands often use essential oils which irritate me. This makeup is beautiful, it holds up to a 8 hour day easily. I think I ended up wearing this for 12hours one day and all I needed was a little powder on my T-zone to freshen it about 10 hours in. The color is almost a perfect match to my NC-20 ish skin. I'm a Neutral with slight peach/Slight yellow undertones and I went with Vanilla. I go several compliments wearing this and how nice it made my skin look and I don't have nice skin!!

this is fragrance free, Gluten Free (I called and talked to a Merle Norman Representative to confirm this, the Tocopheryl is Synthetic) they are very open about their ingredients and all you have to do is go to a store and the associates are very familiar with celiac/Gluten intolerance and other skin issues. I was very very happy with my makeup haul and my experience at the store. I don't dare ask a ULTA employee to help me or anyone at Sephora because They have steered me towards "Natural" brands that ended up damaging my skin. I'm much more knowledgeable than they are about ingredients.

I believe this makeup will be in my makeup bag for a long time.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2013 2:30:00 PM More reviews by amandawebb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the first Merle Norman product I have used. I was at the mall to buy my Estee Lauder Double Wear, and thought I would stop in Merle Norman because I have always been curious about them. I had a great experience there. I worked with the studio owner who spent a lot of time with me. She color matched me to Vanilla, and it is perfect for me. I was surprised at how thin the consistency is. I apply two layers where I need more coverage. I apply with clean fingers because I am too lazy to wash a foundation brush after every application. I like the all-day wear, but it feels a little "tacky" late in the afternoon. I do need to apply powder after lunch. I love the tube packaging, I can get out just a little at a time and rub it in and get more. I don't feel like I'm wasting a lot of product like I do with a glass bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by susanoz

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

After some experimentation, Merle Norman Lasting Foundation (formerly, Luxiva) really is a great LONGWEARING FOUNDATION that looks like skin and doesn't feel like you're wearing makeup.

WHAT I WAS SEARCHNG FOR (lamenting Revlon CS oily/combo 24 Hr and ELDW horrible reformulations--I've been on a replacement trek for well over a yr, trying EVERYTHING): Longwearing, no transfer, neutral beige tones that didn't make my pale 60 yr old skin look like a ghost, pink or orange, that "doesn't feel like I'm wearing makeup" feel, medium to full coverage (that can be lightened up by using a damp sponge), matte to soft matte finish (sorry, all "dewy" finishes I've tried either have minimal coverage that "slide" or disappear after a while or look and feel like a grease ball mess settling into lines/wrinkles/pores) and-although a tall order--look like skin, hopefully at an affordable price.

MY 1st, 2nd & 3rd APPLICATIONS ON BARE SKIN: A horrible wrinkled mess that made me look 10 yrs older (as one reviewer noted) w/ a dry separation tight mask-like look and feel (in the most bad way); 1st using fingers, 2nd using fndn brush, 3rd using damp sponge wedge. Rationale: Too much product used, needing prep.

4th APPLICATION YIELDING FANTASTIC RESULTS: I was skeptical w/ low expectations, before returning, so I wasn't going to go to great lengths to MAKE this work. I primed using cheap Monistate chafing gel (I had other high-end primers in the drawer, but why waste them right?). I waited about 10 minutes before applying the foundation SPARINGLY to small sections as I went about covering the face w/ a fndn brush, as most longwearing fndns require working quickly before setting. Using too much product yields a "too tight" feel that ended up previously looking like "shink wrap" face. WALL-AH! Absolutely LOVELY fullfilling all of my wish-list requests! USING PRIMER WAS THE KEY. I, for one, detest powder. This stuff doesn't need it. But, as long as I was experimenting, I applied a light dusting w/ a kabuki brush of corn starch (yup, you heard me--its the same concept/ingredient as using mineral veil type products). It was an even MORE BEAUTIFUL a finish, blurring my deeper nasal labial wrinkles as much as is possible at my age. My SKIN looked so pretty and like skin... not just my makeup looking pretty. The lightweight feel was even better--longwearing fndns tend to have a bit of a "tighter" feel on the skin in general and just an ever so tiny bit of that is actually a plus in appearance for older skin in camaflaging fine lines and wrinkles, without having to resort to an additional prep product that does the same thing in spreading them and setting them spaced out to appear smoother. There was NO TRANSFER AT ALL--none touching my face w/ my hands, to phone or clothes. I wore the makeup for 10 hours and it looked as lovely as it did when I first applied it. I did need a makeup remover and I followed w/ my face wash and moisturizer.

FOLLOW-UP FACTS: Subsequent applications yielded similarly great results using fingers, as well as a damp sponge wedge. I prefer damp sponge wedges primarily, however, I found with MN Lasting Fndn too much product is wasted in the absorption, as one must work quickly w/ this product before it sets. The coverage is not as opague as CS or ELDW--I'd say medium--so for blemishes/cuts/scratches, concealer is needed--DO NOT add/build more of the fndn or you will achieve the horrible results of my applications 1-3 above. Applying my moisturizer before primer and weekly exfoliation achieved even better results.

I am a pale caucasian and found SEVERAL neutral colors that worked quite well and did not oxidize. My final choice was Alabaster Beige, the deepest neutral pale beige in the line--I detest looking like a white porcelain ghost-faced doll and prefer a bit more color depth, as long as it is up to the point of being nondetectable. Merle Norman, I realize had a stigma of being a granny line, so it was the last longwearing fndn that I opted to try in my replacement quest. I am so glad I tried them as a last resort and secured a great find. Although I am 60 yrs old I have always had beautiful skin all of my life with little effort and with far less fine lines or wrinkles than many gals in theIr late 30's and 40's. The MN sales rep/owner of the studio was most cordial, accommodating and tried 7 colors on me. She did not balk at my choice for the longwearing formula of Lasting Fndn which is targeted for oily skin, even though I have normal/combo skin w/ a few dry patches around my nose--she knew it was a preferred choice for its long wear components and did not try to push/persuade me otherwise... a pleasant surprise. The cost was $28.95 plus CA tax--which I consider affordable for a high end brand and would have paid nuch more to acquire my HG. I don't mind the 1 oz. tube; it's sanitary and convenient for storage and travel. MN chemists and ingredients are top notch, I'm discovering, and are made in the USA.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by kraftibyotch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wore no makeup at all for about thirteen years, and the past year or so I've gotten back into it. The foundation I'd worn since high school was Merle Norman's Aqua Base, which, to my chagrin, has been discontinued. I got the Lasting Foundation instead in the color Ivory. As compared to Estee Lauder's Double Wear Light and the new formulation of Double Wear, it doesn't sink into my wrinkles and gives a lovely, non-cakey finish. I love that it lasts all day. This is my go-to foundation.

One caveat: this stuff dries *fast*. So, I apply it to small sections of my face and blend well before moving on.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 4:54:00 PM More reviews by JB1973

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was a long time wearer of Estee Lauder and then Mac foundations, but when I found this one I was in love. It has great coverage and stays put all day. Great if you have an uneven skin tone. Great colors to choose from that never turn brassy on fair skin.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 10:18:00 AM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this foundation. My holy grail has been the original formula of Estee Lauder Double Wear for quite some time now, and I honestly never expected to find a replacement after it was reformulated. Needless to say, I am so relieved that I have found one in the Lasting Foundation. I have combination skin that is very acne-prone, and I have a lot to cover (in my opinion, at least). I can't stand the dewy look because that only translates to "greasy" on my skin, so I need to have a matte finish. In addition, the foundation that I use must be longwearing and last all day. The Lasting Foundation is full coverage without appearing mask-like, has a beautiful matte finish, and wears like iron. I think Merle Norman really hit it out of the ballpark with this one.

For reference, I have N12 skin and the best shade match for me is Cream, which is the lightest neutral they offer (I can also get away with wearing Ivory, but Cream is better).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2013 4:56:00 PM More reviews by cmayes71

This is the one foundation that I keep coming back to. This foundation feels moisturizing but is non greasy. It wears like ELDW but is not as drying on me. It is lighter feeling. I am super pale and use vanilla. I wear ecru in ELDW. It is a very good match. I use the ultra powder (light) over this if I need more coverage. Merle Norman really deserves more attention than it gets. Merle Norman carries some of the best cosmetics. Their skincare is amazing! They have changed their packaging to reflect a more modern image.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No