August 30, 2014 | 1746 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Natural Instincts Hair Color

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually use Age Beautiful from Sally's but I was on a trip and bought this in Black for the convenience. The grey was completely covered in 15 minutes. No complaint about grey coverage but I lost so much hair that I will never touch this hair color again. My hair is thick and granted, it falls a bit after coloring but this product was a disaster.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2014 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Angelique79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've bought the shade in Dark Brown multiple times to refresh my color in between appointments when I haven't had time to re-book for the salon. It works nicely, matches my color and the conditioner it comes with is really good quality. It's easy to apply and because its ammonia free if my clumsy self drips any, it wipes right up without staining. Nice!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2014 8:03:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this in Linen (med ash blonde) to tone down the red of henna (which was over very overprocessed hair bleaching etc); I used henna for hair repair but decided I just wanted to grow out my natural color. Which is a mid/darkish brown. Shoot light w this one, ESP if you have overprocessed hair! All demis deposit way more color than stated on box/swatch when your hair is damaged - it soaks up the color like a sponge. Linen - although in the mid blonde range - matched the dark auburn shade of my henna, just changed its tone to cool/ash. It really worked! The conditioner it comes with is lovely but coney. I threw that 'color refresh' packet away and instead bought John Frieda colour refresher in cool/ash browns, which really is ashy. I also snatched up the remaining boxes of linen later that day. Yes, it's that good. Remember: medium ash blonde equaled medium/darkish ash BROWN on my damaged hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/6/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Tearbag1969

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to love this stuff. But they changed it and it destroyed my hair. I have so many split ends now! Ugh. And it does not cover gray well at all. I recommend staying away from this product

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by ldwells

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for years and it does a good enough job that no one really believes I color my hair or I am completely-100%- gray!!

It does cover gray but you must leave it in for much longer than the stated ten minutes. One day while getting my hair cut, my hairdresser told me to leave it in for 40 minutes and I trusted her. It worked to cover gray hair, and it has not damaged my hair. Semi permanent color needs time to really penetrate the hair shaft... so if you are trying to cover gray, leave it in for 40 minutes and see for yourself.

I use light suede at the roots, like clockwork every month. My daughter helps me to get all the roots by sectioning the hair. Then I use either pecan or another choice close to that shade on the rest of my hair every other month so my hair doesn't look so dark. The reason I do this is if you use a color with warm reds or gold's on gray, it will turn the hair pink or orange. This strategy really looks very natural and gives some variety in the hair color. Dark hair is aging.

Light neutral brown or Suede is a light brown that comes out medium to dark brown. As other reviewers stated, go lighter.

I throw away the refresher packet based on other reviews on MUA.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Rebeeka125

Great product. I used nutmeg for years and love how it looked.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2014 10:06:00 PM More reviews by alina08

For a semi-permanent hair color, the color longevity and payoff is pretty awesome. Of course, I do not wash my hair very frequently, but the color seems to take hold quickly and last with great shine. I use the deep auburn color, which I was not expecting to come out so nice, but in fact it is true to the picture. This has a modest price for a good product. I am very satisfied.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2014 6:51:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I didn't know this was a semi-permanent hair color kit, but it seemed to last okay for me. I was fine with the color I got as well, and it seemed to do an okay job with covering grays. The main thing I didn't like is how it irritated my scalp. I have colored my hair for years with clairol nice n easy and clairol root touch up. I have never had a problem using those, but with Natural Instincts, my scalp itched for days afterwards. Silly me, I thought something called Natural Instincts would use more "natural" ingredients and be gentler to my hair and scalp, lol. I have used Clairol Root Touch-Up twice since using this without problems. I will definitely not be repurchasing this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by polishnut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used Clairol's Natural Instincts Hair Color for quite a while. It USED TO BE the perfect product. However, the company decided to change the formula and now it does not cover the gray as well nor last as long as it did before the formula change. I can only get about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks out of a color before it has faded and the grays are showing through. I assume this is why they have now included the ColorFresh Revitalizer which is to be used at two weeks to perk up the color. However, this revitalizer is nothing more that a small packet of a jelly-like substance that will add some color to your hair but it wasn't the same color as the medium brown that was the color I used. The revitalizer was very red/orange toned which gave my brown hair an auburn shade and the gray an orange color. (Therefore, I do not use the revitalizer packet ever and just recolor at three weeks with this product.) The actual hair color application is easy but a little runny. The conditioner is good and makes my hair very soft and manageable. What you see on the color swatch on the back of the box is what color your hair will be when finished. (Mine was the exact medium brown pictured on the box.) However, because the color product does not last long at all, it is no longer my go-to semi-permanent hair color and I would only buy it if I can't find something else.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by dakotalovexx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I just bought and used 23R, med auburn.

First let me say that I dye my hair every 2-3 months usually, but after switching my (permanent) color recently to a different one, I'm not satisfied and it's faded a lot after only 3 weeks. So, instead of re-dying permanent and damaging my hair too much, I opted for the demi-permanent.

I wanted to go red... and this gave me red. My natural is medium brown, and right now it's almost (darkish) fire engine red. Though I didn't want it to be this red, I know it will tone down in a few washes and it's exactly what the color on the box shows... so I knew what I was getting myself into. (Someone else said their hair was bright red, "unlike the box" but the box shows bright red.)

It was super easy and quick to apply since it was creme... I'm a fan of quick. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the damage. It's demi-permanent so definitely not as damaging as permanent, but as with any chemical process, it's going to damage it a tiny bit. My hair feels okay. I'm a big fan of deep conditioning and taking good care of my hair so maybe that's why.

All in all, I like it. And even if I didn't, it'll fade soon since it's not permanent.