January 25, 2015 | 2121 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Amorous

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2015 1:32:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this some time ago as a gift and since I wasn't wearing plummy shades at the time, I sort of just forgot about it. But yesterday, I was cleaning out the oldies in my stash and stumbled upon this. Coincidentally, I had also seen the color on the Youtuber Bailey Van Der Veen a couple days ago and thought it looked gorgeous, so I figured I'd give it a shot rather than pawn it off on a friend. Boy am I glad I did.
What a shapeshifting color! You wouldn't expect that from a satin finish, but it really catches light differently in various settings. In warm tungsten light, it pulls to a brown-mauve. In natural light, it's a very pretty, muted plum. It's not as light as a true mauve, nor does it lean as pink, but it's not as dark as some of the other plum shades I've seen recently. It skates the fine line between the two, and for that, I think it's perfect.
I'm a bold lip kind of gal, but sometimes, I want to wear something that is a bit more subdued, especially at the office (though it's not foreign for me to wear blackened purples to work because why not). This is perfect for that.
The texture of this satin finish lipstick is quite creamy upon application, but not so creamy that it migrates around my lips. I find the staying power to be adequate after I've done my apply-blot-apply-blot-apply method (as I do with all lipstick), and I've not experienced any feathering, even without a liner. This settles down to a satin-matte finish over time, which makes it even more flattering. Since it's a step up from the matte MAC lipsticks, I find this applies considerably more evenly right out the gate - I don't need to go through any extra effort to get opaque coverage.
I find this lipstick to be neither drying nor hydrating. So far, I've not experienced any flaking, though if your lips are already dry, it may behoove you to apply a light balm first.
The packaging is standard to all MAC lipsticks - simple, black, chic, and always sturdy. It's $16 on their site, which is still low for a premium brand considering other higher-end brands charge far more.
Love this shade!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by MaxStarz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love it. I don't have to even wear a liner when I wear this lipstick and its a very toned down shade of mauve that can be wearable at work. One of my favourites...

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by Calixnel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVEEEE this colour, it's such a beautiful shade and I believe can flatter any skin tone . I believe if you're not yet ready to buy Rebel this is definitely the first step to it !

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2014 12:46:00 AM More reviews by aperilpar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Omg, I instantly fell in love with this color the moment I put it on my lips and looked in the mirror at the MAC store! I had no intentions of buying this lipstick when I went to the store, nor have I ever even heard of the shade. I was just looking for an everyday kind of mauve color. Idk why I've never heard beauty guru's on YouTube talk about this, but I'm so glad I found it! This is the perfect shade for those who like to wear lipstick on an everyday basis, but are too afraid to wear bold colors. I can't exactly describe what color this lipstick is.. it is somewhere between mauve/taupe/pink/plum. Very school/work appropriate, but could also be worn on a night out!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2014 9:09:00 AM More reviews by texangirl08

I love this lipstick! Im fair to medium skin and glanced at this one and mac captive, i couldnt decide between the two so i purchased both!! Fair to medium gals, u can definately wear this!! Must try!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 8:45:00 AM More reviews by DoraZ

This is such a lovely color, I receive compliments every time I wear it. It's a beautiful reddish plum color that reads almost like a wine red on me. I'm a MAC NW20 and although Amorous goes on darker on my lips that it would seem in the tube, I don't mind, I still love it! I was surprised to see the other reviews here mentioning the "mud" undertones because I don't see that on me at all. The wear of this lipstick is excellent as well, it goes perfectly with MAC's pencil lipliner in Half-Red and with the two paired up it can even last through a meal if I'm careful. My only consideration when wearing this lipstick is that it can be a bit drying, but I solve that by applying a bit of lip balm underneath. Since MAC's Satin lipsticks are just one step up from their matte colors, this tends to highlight any flakes or flaws in my lips too, so I just make sure to keep my lips hydrated and exfoliated. Overall this is a definite must-have in my lipstick collection, I'll be purchasing it again when I run low. LOVE!!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by priyaj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Amorous is an odd color for me. I am NC45-50 for reference. I initially bought it because I saw a girl with a similar skin tone wear this in a review video and it looked awesome on her. The first time I put it on, I was disappointed and didn't like it - it looked darker than I thought it would. Afterwards, it grew on me but there was always something I didn't like about it. Then I realized that this color basically looks pinkish-plum with an undertone of MUD. There's a muddy look to it when I wear it alone. I can make it look good by applying a pink gloss or glaze over it.

I went to MAC and tried on other similar colors and I found CAPTIVE. Captive is basically this color but with no mud undertone. It's definitely more pinkish with a plum undertone. I love it - it's a great everyday color for me and it's a much better option for gals of my skin color.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 5:25:00 PM More reviews by SStar777

I like this lipstick but not my fav mac lipstick like russian red or flat out fabulous. It is a nice shade for work. It is not very bright, very subtle shade for places where u cannot wear bright shade. Love it's quality and application. It is long lasting.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by glockgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this shade...kinda plummy/purple....it's my casual everyday go to color....i put it on top of mac angel....Very lovely

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2013 2:31:00 PM More reviews by QueenBee1217