April 19, 2014 | 1836 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Chrome Yellow eye shadow

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Kelzilla

I absolutely love CY and have done for a long time. People think I'm mad wearing this around on it's own but I have green eyes with chrome yellow spots in them so everyone else can eat it :-)

It's not what I'd call pretty, but it's so useful over blues and greens of all descriptions; wash it over sassy grass or any of the other mattes and BOOM you have that depth of colour you were looking for. Perfectly for a parrot-type eye when you want to grade from blue to green and that sort of thing. Or worn alone with a big black wing and bright red lippy- oh yes. Awesomeness.

I find it perfectly easy to work with, especially as far as mattes go; finely milled, not chalky, liquid-friendly and minimal fallout, blendable, no nasty habits at all. I abuse mine regularly by dripping water onto it, scratching it up, dropping it etc and it's never let me down. If it's been discont'd I'd probably kill myself and or run out and buy every last one available. Or buy a goldenrod- that looks hot too.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by Kmarji

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think what I love the most about chrome yellow is that it is a matte shadow, I'm really into matte anything right now. Anyway, when I first bought this I didn't really liked it, I used it once and then forgot about it until about a month ago. The first time I used it I remember it not even showing up on me (nc25) but I now that I have way better brushes I now know the problem wasn't the shadow, it was the cheapy terrible brushes.

Pros:
Lasts forever
Pigmented
Good price
Blends very easily

Cons:
It can be a tiny bit chalky

Overall, I do like it and will continue to use it. I'll be really sad if MAC stops making it :(

rated 1 of 5 on 5/2/2012 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Rocket37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

... So, I was looking for a really wild yellow. I was on the MAC website & there to get MAC fix+. There was a sale going on so I figured hey, where else to buy a great yellow eye shadow. But, what a let down...

First of all I'm as pale as someone can possibly be, and even after applying a base for the shadow so it would stick it's not nearly as bold as advertised. It's just so un-pigmented...

Makeup artists instructed me to wet my shadow brush with MAC fix+ to make it last longer & stick better.... DO NOT do that.. it will RUIN it..
when I put my eye shadow brush on the shadow it literally like buffed the shadow into this plastic finish, so now i'm going to have to scratch the top of my shadow to even be able to pick up the shadow with my brush. ( and it's not the brush, I use this with my other MAC shadows NP ) Maybe it's because, it's a matte color?

I really don't get why they call it "Chrome Yellow" Because, there is no shine in it what-so-ever. It's flat and so un-pigmented that it gives a smokey illusion. Really doesn't work on pale skin tones.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2012 1:24:00 AM More reviews by paneradfisk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Price:
The prices for MAC products in Sweden are 75% higher than in the US, which means I have even higher expectations.

Product:
I think it has great colour payoff but looks a little chalky and dry. The colour turns darker when you try to blend it and it's a bit hard to blend evenly.

Advice:
Get the eyeshadow Lemon by MakeUpStore or Buttercupcake by Sugarpill instead of Chrome Yellow, both have more product for less money, and none of them look chalky or dry, and have great colour payoff.

2/5

rated 3 of 5 on 11/22/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by adlrmns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this yellow, because there was a look that I was going for, that was in need of a bright yellow. The ladies at MAC told me that this was an ideal yellow. Well obviously some people will smoke anything up your ass for a sale, because it is not the ideal yellow. You have to spend quite a bit of time building this color up for any sort of pay off. Now I am of a slightly tanned complexion (NC/NW 30-35), but I am not dark enough for this to not show up on. I use it mainly as a blending color, when I have a few colors that I need to make a seamless transition between. It doesn't add very much color, so my blending looks fluid.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2011 4:33:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My best friend gave this to me as a bridesmaids' gift, and I am in love! I have long wanted a bright matte yellow eyeshadow, and have tried many cheap brands that had no color payoff. This is the yellow of my dreams! It's just a beautiful color with great pigment. I cannot wait to use this with my newly dyed black hair!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/31/2011 6:22:00 AM More reviews by brbrbr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Im a big fan of bright, theatrical colours, and I bought this shade a while ago as one of the first in my evergrowing rainbow of MAC eye colours. I get the feeling that true matte yellows must be a difficult pigment to create and this one doesnt really perform. It needs to be built up quite a bit to get a decent hue. Still, I give credit to it for actually existing!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2011 7:59:00 AM More reviews by keanash

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Once upon a time, MAC's Chrome Yellow was one of the only true yellow shadows on the market. I bought this shadow for that reason -- I wanted a bright, true yellow, with no hint of gold. This shadow will certainly give you that.

However, it is extremely difficult to work with. The texture is just awful; it's dry, chalky, and hard to blend. Usually MAC shadows are smooth and easy to slide on, but this one is certainly not. The colour is prone to fade with wear, as well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by XxPRINCESSAxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Other

When I purchased this a couple years ago, it was extremely difficult to find a true yellow eye shadow, they were either gold or beige. However, this eye shadow is very dry and chalky - not nice for blending. I'm rating it a 3 because at least it provided a true, bright yellow color. Would not repurchase as there appear to be a lot more yellow eye shadows available now that may have a nicer texture than this.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this also fades quite a bit, which is not what you'd expect for the price/brand

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by HazelnutSwirl16

Gorgeous bright yellow! A nice colour to blend with blues/greens/golds/purples, a nice summery look!

P.S love the display picture