MAC Gel Lipstick

3.8

First shot at a Mac Frost and a gold lipstick. Probably an impulse buy.

Honestly, this lippie is something you would either like or dislike. It depends. It's a subtle golden nude, that somehow looks like champagne.

Application is key. I think the "less is more" rule works with Gel. It's way prettier when subtle. Swiped once or twice, it will give your lips a pretty little sheen or shimmer. Applied just right, it made me a little washed out, but it's not too bad (like the nightmare Snob did to me). You can work around the color payoff with your fingers. Applied heavily to make it look opaque, makes your look, well - dead.

I also like it that this works nicely with layering. It's the kind of lippie that would do better with a partner - like another lipstick or a lipgloss. I haven't tried experimenting with other combos yet - but I discovered that applying a swipe of Viva Glam V lipstick over this neutralizes Gel a bit, without losing its gold vibe.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Shimmering light nude beige. Looks good alone and mixed with other shades, it will lighten them and add a pretty sheen. Vanilla scent and great packaging!

I love this for layering. I put Gel over my other lipsticks to take it downs shade or two and add a little shimmer! Beautiful!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I love Gel and will repurchase again and again. Very pretty, shimmery, frosty, pale, champagne shade. I usually wear this with MAC Instant Gold lipgloss and if I'm wanting to wear lipliner, I use MAC Oak.

I bought this because one of my favorite youtubers (Pink So Foxy) loves this lipstick + because Britney used this in oops I did it again, sometimes and i'm a slave for you. I LOVE THIS lipstick so much, it's a staple for me now. I don't use a lipliner and wear this lipstick by itself. It's a brownish copper gold colour on my lips. Very subtle because I have very pigmented lips.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

GOT THIS AS MY BACK-TO-MAC PRODUCT. I LOVE IT! IT LAYERS GREAT AND LOOKS GOOD BY ITSELF WITH A LITTLE LIP LINER. IT IS A LITTLE 80'S IF YOU USE IT TOTALLY ALONE BUT NOT IN A BAD WAY. I HAVE TAN SKIN, BEING BIRACIAL (D35 IN SEPHORA SHADES). THIS IS A GREAT TRANS-FORMATIVE LIPSTICK TO ADD TO YOUR COLLECTION. IF YOUR ON THE FENCE... JUST GO BUY IT!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this product a few years ago by mail order after I read that Britney Spears had used it in her videos "sometimes" and "oops.." but I really wish I hadn't! The colour is a horrible frosty gold and looks extremely pale on my lips. The texture also made my lips very dry. I don't recommend it!

I always agonize over which MAC lipsticks to buy (don't we all, girls?), and really had a hard time with this one. I saw what it looked like in an online review and it was so beautiful in the tube and on the girl reviewing it that I just had to have it. I knew deep down this wasn't a color for me. It just kind of whites out my lips and accentuates every little line, and my lips aren't really wrinkly or chapped. It a very pale pearly gold, and if you are tired of gold lipsticks being to warm or too yellow, this is a nice alternative. However, that makes all the difference in how I was able to use it. The subtle pale color and frost make it divine over other lip colors. It transforms pinks into coral, reds into deep bronzes or browns, purples into plums. My favorite MACs to mix it with are Chatterbox and Viva Glam I. Sure, you could just go out and buy bronze or coral lipstick, but it won't have as much dimension and interest as it does when I layer Gel over something else. For that reason, it's a keeper.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I got excited about this color swatch on MAC's website. However, once I tried it on the color was far too light on my fair skin (I'm an NW20). Ultra shimmery and golden, just is not flattering on my light skintone. Works well once I blend with a second darker color.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

gel is a truly lovely and shimmery color! although it wasn't what i was looking for, i was pretty impressed by the results. i was looking for a nude-like, yet shimmery lip color, and i came by gel, so i thought it might be good. it's pretty light, i can tell you, and is more like a lip gloss! it didn't look too well on me though because it's a tad lighter then my skintone (total disappointment!) but overall, it's really nice and i use it as a lip gloss. (:

Recommended for Medium Skin