September 21, 2014 | 1785 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2014 12:28:00 PM More reviews by formika8476

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

*HG* Brilliant multitasker.

FACE: I'm Korean, my skin is hypersensitive, oily, clog-prone, and often dehydrated. I rub a couple of drops of this between damp hands before patting onto a damp face, starting with the eye and lip area, then let it sink in for a couple of minutes before moisturizing. My skin gets quite dehydrated in the winter, when it tends to get flaky, but heavier emollients clog up my pores and just feel greasy. This keeps my skin smooth and congestion-free but gives my moisturizer (Cerave) a little bit of a boost when I need it. On my face, I alternate this with Burt's Bees Repair Serum (really an oil), which is jojoba oil based. I should mention I did develop some tiny colorless bumps on my forehead during the first few weeks, but they went away with continued use.

BODY: I smooth this onto wet skin straight out of the shower before gently toweling dry and applying body lotion (again, Cerave). This combo is magic. Silky smooth, glowing skin.

HAIR: I have very fine, thin hair that hangs to the small of my back. Straight but with a very slight wave, enough to make it susceptible to frizz and crazy flyaway issues. Oily at the roots, dry at the ends even though I air-dry and my hair hasn't been dyed or chemically treated at all in years. I recently started massaging jojoba oil into dry hair from ends to roots before showering (shampoo and condition as usual), and I can't believe I haven't tried this before. My hair feels so much stronger -- so soft and dare I say bouncy. I've been considering chopping it off because it had been feeling so weightless and brittle, but I guess it just needed a jojoba oil pre-shampoo treatment because my hair just drank this up. No oiliness or heaviness (in fact, my scalp feels more comfortable, which makes sense since cleansing oil works so well on my oily face) -- the strands feel plumper and weightier (in a good way) and overall more body.

Highly recommended. I should note that I tried a different brand of jojoba b/c it was cheaper (Jobacare, which I bought at Whole Foods), but I knew immediately it was not the same (runnier consistency, paler in color, and completely odorless). Didn't have the same moisturizing effect and some of the chicken skin I occasionally used to get came back. This isn't a brand endorsement of Desert Essence per se; just make sure it's unrefined jojoba, which is a bright gold color, slightly viscous, and has a subtle, nutty scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2014 6:15:00 PM More reviews by LiL_Laurie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have acne prone skin and can use this and not worry about breakouts.

I love slathering it on at night if i notice my skin is going through a dry spell or needs more moisture due to the weather. It is so moisturizing and healing. I cover my whole face and it can go near my eyes without irritation (i actually think it is great for around the eyes, helps with fine lines). I only use it at night since it is of course oily, it doesn't absorb right away but eventually does without leaving much of a film. My skin feels amazing and soft in the mornings after use.
You can also add a drop or 2 to your regular moisturizer and it compliments it nicely.

Bottle is great, price is great, would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by 4073

I have eczema aka dry and sensitive skin. I used this as a makeup remover and face cleanser before turning to coconut oil for price reasons (works the same for me, no breakouts). I love jojoba oil and although I don't go thru 1 bottle per month like I did before I discovered coconut oil, I always make sure I have this on hand. Apply to body any time and face only at night. Also, this is multipurpose in that 2 years ago this was the only product I traveled with for a summer. Not only is it a make up remover, moisturizer, and facial cleanser, it's a great alternative to hair serum (APPLY WITH A LIGHT LIGHT HAND)! You will see the difference. I buy this at whole foods and for me, it is a bit pricy when you buy it often.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2014 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was disappointed with the DE Jojoba oil. Either the oil is of the refined type or has some additives or jojoba oil in general is probably not suitable for my skin :( It caused the 3 Bs - breakouts, blackheads and also some small boils on the face! Aura Cacia Jojoba oil also caused same skin problems for me.

I googled and found this link. Apparently all jojoba oils are not equal calibre and it makes sense to test which oil works best depending on your skin type (oily, sensitive, etc). Jojoba oil also has a loooong shelf life. That should be the clue...

For my skin type (sensitive), I swear by sesame and almond oils. They are sooo nourishing and moisturizing! Ghee and coconut also work well.

Refer to Pratima Raichur's book. It has great information on skincare and using natural oils to moisturize, nourish and cleanse. Jojoba oil is not even listed there...probably Jojoba is a relatively new oil at least for use in skincare.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 1:01:00 PM More reviews by jacks250

I can't believe I took me so long to get into the natural product world, but I am officially a convert lol. This oil is an amazing moisturizer. Makes my skin feel sooo soft and look fresh and glowy (think JLo!). Literally everything makes me break out but surprisingly this doesn't! You only need a small drop. I'll never use chemical ridden moisturizers again! It's inexpensive too! Just a heads up for my fellow MUA'ers, I got this at vitarock.com (btw my new OBSESSION and go-to for healthy products) for only around 8$! Can't believe I used to waste so much money on expensive moisturizers that just end up damaging and aging our skin!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2014 4:33:00 AM More reviews by hippodeem

i heard good stories and reviews on this but i have used many better oils out there. jojoba by itself just isn't that great.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Mikey87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this oil!!! It soaks into my skin and makes my skin feel beautiful. I do my usual dermalogica face routine and use a couple of drops on my face before I go to bed. In the morning my face is completely radiant and my skin feels silky soft. I also use this oil in the bath which is lovely. I've been using this product for about 9 weeks and my friends and family have all bought it too. My skin looks and feels very healthy - I'm very impressed :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 3:14:00 PM More reviews by lifeinfuschia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Jojoba oil is not for me, but this was a good oil. I think most can tolerate jojoba, I'm just one of the few that can't. Use is a makeup remover or moisturizer, it works well if you are not sensitive to it. It made me glow like a baby before it caused some skin issues for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by girlboyfriction

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The only bad thing I have to say is: THE PACKAGING IS AWFUL!! When you try to pour it, it would be a miracle if you don't spill it or have it drip down the side. I solved this by buying a glass dropper from vitamin shoppe. It screws perfectly into the top, so you can actually take this bottle traveling AND NO SPILLING!

Otherwise, AMAZING moisturizer! I was a bit afraid to use oil on my face (having oily skin already) but I use about 4-5 drops for my whole face it actually keeps it looking NOT shiny if that makes sense.. Like you know when you use a moisturizer and sometimes your skin becomes tightlooking/shiny .. make my face feel super soft as well :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2014 11:22:00 PM More reviews by reverie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The jojoba oil is functional enough, but the packaging is absolute crap! The oil leaked all over my belongings even though I had made sure the cap was screwed on tight and even put tape over it. Do not bring this anywhere!