December 18, 2014 | 899 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 12/15/2014 10:59:00 AM More reviews by astr323

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

I do like this powder, it's pretty finely milled and does an okay job of setting makeup. makes ur skin feel hella smooth and soft. to be honest I'm not really sure what the point of powder is beyond mattifying foundation/concealer so I can't really tell you how good this product is vs competitors' products simply because it doesn't do much. keeps makeup matte for an okay amount of time, you should expect to have to reapply after two or three hours. also - not a ton of product! I know it's only $5 but I feel like this stuff doesn't even last a month. I'm probably just gonna end up popping the container open when I run out and refilling it with cornstarch.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/14/2014 6:59:00 PM More reviews by puffybubblezz

I was really curious about the good reviews on this product, as I'm kind of a powder junkie. I have this in the original and the yellow. I wanted this product for oil control, but it's pretty bad at it. I'm oily within 3 hours. Rimmel Stay Matte does a better job, for less money and with less mess.

However, the powder is extremely silky. It has a good slip and makes the skin very smooth. It's a bit too pale and doesn't serve my purposes so I only give it 2 stars. Someone with dry or normal skin will probably like this better. But I think there are better powders out there, like Mac Prep & Prime or Coastal Scents silica powder.

I will credit it for having a yellow tone. I always want yellow powders since my neck is so yellow but I've since discovered Meow Cosmetics and now I'll never go back to this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Elektraza86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have super dry skin, but sometimes my foundation slides around and emphasizes dry areas. I never dare use powder for fear of totally over exposing this issue and looking like the ultimate, hot messed cake face.

In fact, what I experienced using this powder over my foundation or even on bare skin alone was something very different from other experiences. This is a clear, unscented, non lightening, non shimmering, perfectly matte and perfectly soft powder. It actually sets the foundation and it doesn't move. The soft little puff it comes with is really great too. You know for a brand like elf, they really do have nice packaging. You get a lot and it's 6 dollars. This would easily compare to any high end setting powder. I even used a light brushing on my under eye concealer. Works like a charm. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by babycat1973

I've been using this for a while and I still can't make my mind up! When I first put it on, I hate it, as my face looks so pale (I apply with the puff that it comes with and then dust off any excess with a fan brush). By the time that I've driven to work though, my skin looks good and very even and even my pores seem to have disappeared. The best bit is that it lasts all day. I have quite greasy skin and while wearing this my face doesn't turn into an oil slick, even when I'm in the car all day with the heater on. My fiancé loves it and says it looks great, if only it wasn't for that initial look like I've seen a ghost...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2014 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Deviationize

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This stuff is simply AMAZING!

I purchased it on a whim when I was browsing through Target. I was running out of my Rimmel Stay Matte and wanted something new to try and keep me matte/set my makeup for the day. For around $8 I figured I'd give this powder a try.

At first, I just kind of dusted a very tiny amount on my face and saw no dramatic difference. I did notice, however, that I wasn't as oily throughout the day, so I continued using it. After a while I started packing more powder on my t-zone and under-eye area. I cannot describe how velvety soft my skin feels when this is on my face! I notice an absolutely dramatic difference when I put more product to set the concealer under my eyes, and it stays stunningly soft all day long. When I concentrate it more around my t-zone, I don't have to touch up even once throughout the day.

I've also started using it as a highlight, believe it or not. I simply pack a lot of powder where I normally would highlight (high on my cheekbones, under the eyes), then I let it sit like that while I do my eye makeup. I dust the powder away with a brush and it leaves the most gorgeous highlight on my skin!

The powder itself is incredibly soft and light. The way it feels between your fingers is, I kid you not, how it makes your skin feel. For someone like me, who has terribly uneven skin, it's really a game changer. I do recommend using a brush and not the powder sponge it comes with, because I find the sponge packs too much product on places where you may not want as much.

The only downfall to this product is the packaging. It's not terrible, mind you, but it can get messy. I know that mess is hard to avoid with loose powders, which is why for what it is it's not horridly bad. In fact, for $8 it's more than what I would expect. And of course, E.L.F. is cruelty free, which is always a plus.

All in all, I cannot rave about this product enough. I'll actually be repurchasing it because I've been using it so much! Absolutely love!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by princessmeowmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I don't usually like powder makeup but this is amazing! Just make sure to take care of how much is picked up on your brush. With the right amount, my highlighting looks subtle but natural! It lasts for a long time as well and controls my oily skin.
There's a lot of this powder in the package too! I've had mine for 3 years and I've used it almost whenever I put on makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by brittbrat118820

Initially I was not a fan of this product, but after giving it some time I have found it to be great for a setting powder. You only need the tiniest amount for your whole face. Don't over apply or you will get the white powdery look. After I apply I like to take a clean brush and dust the excess off any areas that need it (usually my nose). It sets your foundation and gives you a soft look. I don't find it changes the color of my foundation or washes me out. I really feel this product helps my foundation last longer too. I don't get too oily mid-day like I do when I wear other powders. I apply this with the real techniques complexion brush, not the powder puff that comes with it. My only complaint is it can be messy so be carful not to get too much product. Also the packaging isn't travel friendly so its not a product you can use to touch up if you need it. I bought this for $6 at target and it lasts me a few months.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by amyliS

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow! All I can say that I was very pleasantly surprised! In this price category it is a real find, I can tell you. You could think it is very expensive brand if you tried it blind among some other samples.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Steelermummeh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Did you ever have one of those face-palm moments? When you want to give yourself a Gibbs-slap? Yeah, me too. I wish I'd known about this before I bought the MUFE HD powder. In my defense I didn't know E.L.F existed at the time. If I knew then what I...grrr!

Okay, now I feel better. A bit.

I know that E.L.F is a bit (a lot) hit-and-miss, but this HD powder got such wonderful reviews that I had to try it myself.

If you were to take the MUFE product out of the container and did the same with the E.L.F version, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Truly, you wouldn't. As with the MUFE powder, it pretty much is a case where it does exactly as promised. I'm probably the millionth person to say this, too: A little goes a LONG way! We're going for a polished look, not a "Ohai I just woke up in the morgue" look.

There really isn't a whole lot more I can say which hasn't been said better by someone else though I do have a hint of advice:

Before you walk out of the door, get your friend, your spouse, heck even your kids, to take a photo WITH THE FLASH beforehand to make sure you're not doing "a Kidman".

(Yes I made that term up but it stems from the truth - Nicole's white splotchies have become the classic example of "when white powder goes wrong")

Otherwise, believe me - I'm bitter enough for all of us because I didn't find E.L.F's version before MUFE, so just enjoy your product. It's SO worth it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

My go to setting powder. So far it is the only one that really helps my makeup last. Not all day but nothing has done that. It can leave a slight white cast if you are heavy handed but you can dust it off with a soft powder brush. Also once it sets into to the skin it goes away as well.
Love it. hate the packaging though OMG it is so messy