July 24, 2014 | 1077 users online

Eye Shadow - Christian Dior - 5-Colour Eyeshadow - Night Butterfly 173 Fall 2009

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2010 1:55:00 PM More reviews by lildr3amcatch3r

If you like purple eyeshadow as much as me, you need to buy this dior quint! The eyeshadows are super pigmented and blends nicely. The colors are gorgeous! 5 colors to create endless looks.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2010 7:26:00 AM More reviews by TheCat7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great eye shadow palette!
It comes in a compact with a good mirror and a velvet pouch, and two applicators, each with two applicator tips (so total of two wide, two narrow tips).
You get five colors, grey, purple, lilac, wine and black. The black one has silvery sparkles in it which makes it look fantastic (I often use it as an eyeliner) but the other colors are velvety, smooth and glowy, but not pigmented, rather... satiny. Look very pretty.
These colors stay put on your eyelid and you can build them from very light shades into very intensive ones.
This is a very versatile palette, you can use it both on special occasions and every day.
Overall, a great palette!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

Let me add another 5 lippies to the pile. This really is an amazing palette. Each shade is gorgeous (especially for a purple lover like me) and the texture is divine - velvety and luxurious, a dream to work with. I haven't worn the black yet, but I've touched it, and let's just say it was very black and very sparkly, not chalky at all. I love that there is a range of shades suitable for subtle day looks as well as dramatic nights. Lovely!
I should mention that the bottom left shade is more grey than silver (the first pic above shows it as a white-silver, and it's very misleading, so I've added my own pic above). I have to say I actually would've preferred a lighter silver, but they grey is very versatile.
Finally, it must be noted that this quint is now permanent! It was originally supposed to be LE, but I guess Dior has decided to make our wishes come true and make it perm :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2010 3:02:00 PM More reviews by peachtree811

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm absolutely in love with this quint. The shadows blend like a dream, are gorgeously pigmented, and stay put until you remove them. I also like that they are not excessively pigmented. I don't have to worry about toning the colors down at all. They're grown up, if that makes sense. You have to choice of how intense you want the shadows to be.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love Night Butterfly.
It looks deceptively cool toned in the palette but I don't find it to be so, even on my very yellow toned olive skin. The shades are definitely very different from each other - the lightest is a sheer pale lavender, then there's a medium blue based purple, silvery grey with a faintly brown cast, a deep plummy burgundy and a very *black* black with tiny silver glitter particles. I get some fall out from the black but not enough to frustrate me.
The colours are smooth and blend beautifully (as usual for Dior!) and you can do anything from a simple and elegant lavender and grey eye for the office, right up to a jewel toned pop of purple or a deep, dark and sultry smoky eye for evening or parties - so it is definitely versatile!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2009 8:59:00 PM More reviews by RavenBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am so glad I took the plunge and splurged on this. Nobody does eyeshadow like Christian Dior, but this particular collection is nothing short of magnificent. When you see it in person, its positively breathtaking. These shades bring brown eyes to life and make you feel like a princess. Violets have always accentuated the beauty of brown eyes, but these colors are beyond gorgeous (and would probably be beautiful with any eye color). I remember when I used to wear Estee Lauder's Eggplant (now discontinued) and people would always stop me and ask me what I was wearing. Violets always bring out my eyes, but I had all but given up on them when they discontinued my favorite EL shade of violet (Armani has one that comes close, but it just wasn't the same for me).

I had heard that Dior made the finest eye shadows in the world, but thought it was all hype until I bought one years back (now I own three of them and they last and last and last). They are certainly expensive, but worth every single penny. The shadows go on like pure silk with no brushes needed (they are that blendable). The applicators they provide you with are all you will ever need. I just lightly brush my fingers over the area's I want to blend and everything blends beautifully and easily and stays put for hours and hours!

These violets are breathtaking and can be used in so many different ways. The choices are limitless. This includes all the violets you could ever need or hope for (and this comes with a major bonus as well). I had been looking for that perfect black eyeshadow for years. I wanted a super rich black that would stay put and not smear. I hated MAC's Carbon. Kat Von D's is more of a dark gray than anything else and Armani's offering smeared like crazy. I've tried several others as well and they were either too chalky or not rich enough.The black shadow in the middle of this collection is about as black or rich as it gets. I use it in the crease at the end of my eyes to give them depth and make everything just pop. I also use it over my eye liner underneath my eyes to set my liner and create a gorgeous smokey look (and it stays put)! Love love love love this!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2009 12:40:00 AM More reviews by aceh76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am in love with this! This is by far my favorite Dior Quint! Where do I start??? First of all, if you love purple eyeshadows, please take a look at this. The colors are beautiful. I have found so many different combinations from a very subtle daytime look to a smokey look. I use the black color as both a liner and for a smokey eye with the grayish color over it and the lilac sheer color as a highlight. I also love the dark burgandy shade in the crease with either the grayish color or the medium purple color on the lid. For a daytime look I have used the purple color or the greyish color as a wash on the lid into the crease with the lilac color as a highlight and lined my eyes with the black. I have used every color and love them all equally. When I want to wear purple eyeshadow, I reach for this exclusively now. It is gorgeous!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2009 7:27:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this quint during the summer and waited until fall weather to wear it. I have used it four or five times now, and I must admit that it is my favorite palette of Dior and of other brands as well. I must also admit that there is something about the Dior eyeshadows which suits my skin coloring (cool-toned, i.e. pink, medium) and eye color (light blue with lavender flecks).

I can use the darkest color for liner and the lightest for the overall eye; then it is up to me to decide which of the other colors to play with. The green is gorgeous for me, and the purple/plum colors are perfect. I have often had a problem with these plum colors being too red or too muddy in other brands. I haven't used the dark gray as a shadow yet but will do so soon because it is the only color I've just used as liner. There is some fallout but more along the lower lash line which I then blend into the liner. The consistency is pure Dior which I like, less shimmery than other palettes I have; in fact, the black is the only color with a touch of glimmer. All colors are very dramatic; blend with a brush or q-tip to get the best effect. I guess you could do a sheer wash but these colors are so beautiful -- really the nicest palette I've owned in decades. One reason I like Dior is that the color stays and doesn't crease or mutate. You get what you pay for and this quint is pure luxury and worth it.

Green-eyed and hazel-eyed gals would probably enjoy this limited edition too. I would buy it again but since it is a LE, there will be some version of it in the future. This palette seems wearable year-round; I just wanted to wait until fall to try it as a change of makeup.

11/1 Edited to add that tonight I used the black shadow in the corner crease for a smokey eye look and it is WOW.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2009 6:46:00 PM More reviews by dopalives

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

While the colors look gorgeous in the palette, they really appeared muddy on me. I returned this item. The texture is smooth and I had no problems applying, but there was no WOW factor for me. On to the next quint.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2009 8:49:00 PM More reviews by laprincessa323

I've never owned any make up from the DIOR line. I saw this pallete in Sephora and fell in love with the colors. I had been searching for purples, and this was exactly what i wanted! It is a bit pricey $56, but def worth it! The colors are vibrant and make my green eyes pop. I hadn't even noticed the packaging until i brought it home and opened the box. The compact itself is eye catching without even opening it up! I LOVE IT!