July 28, 2014 | 1905 users online

Eye Shadow - Bobbi Brown - Mica Sparkle Eye Shadow

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 1:58:00 PM More reviews by loci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Beautiful in the pan as a pewter grey, and on the eye its the same color, but in glitter form. I bought this when its released and put it away since I was in my matte/subtle shimmer mode, but now after my vacation in Taiwan, I'm in love with glitters (probable because the sun comes out more often as of Toronto). I took this out again and pat in on with my finger. The amount that will go on is buildable, and will not be too much even if you put on several times/layers, it will not yield the cheap feeling as some glitters do.

The color of the glitter is a darkened silver to be more precise, so it pretty much go with every eye shadow. The size is huge and I don't think I would ever need to repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 6:50:00 PM More reviews by sailorj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This applies as very sheer, grown-up, silver sparkle, if there is such a thing. It's pretty, and much more wearable than the name 'sparkle' would imply. I wish it looked like it did in the pan though. A dark grey metallic with a touch of beige. Does anyone agree that it's such a pretty color in the pan but kind of a let down on your eye? Oh well, live in learn. I dot it on top of shadow at night sometimes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2009 3:37:00 PM More reviews by sweetcg49

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Mica is a grey taupy shade, but as others have said, it is mostly glitter. But that's ok, as that is what I expected. It does best when it is applied over other shades, adding a nice sheer sparkle. I like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2009 11:36:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

Bobbi recently released four Limited Edition "Sparkle" eyeshadows. I was wow'd by the shimmer of these and picked up all four colors .. Mica, Silver Moon, Ballet & Sunlight. Pigmentation wise, they don't pack a lot of punch. If you can master application, they're absolutely mezmerizing! Mica is the darkest of the four. It's a mid toned taupey silver. These don't really work well with a traditional eyeshadow brush however. Using them wet doesn't really work well either. The best thing I've found to apply these is to use those sponge type applicators that come with most mainstream drugstore shadows. I've also used my pinky finger to just dab it lightly on my lid. They're not very pigmented, but the sparkle these things have when applied is amazing! My eyes glisten when I use this on the lid!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2009 10:06:00 PM More reviews by goldensyrup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was very surprised by this shadow as it is very unique and the texture and formulation is unlike any eyeshadow I've ever tried. I would describe this more as a sheer transfer of sparkly metallic eyeshadow. It kind of sits atop your skin like a sheer veil and casts an almost ethereal glow. The colour itself is a silvery taupe, absolutely stunning and looks all the more amazing when paired with matte black liner.
If you're looking for a dense powdery eyeshadow then this isn't it, this is definitely different but worth a try if you're a cosmetics connoisseur. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2009 12:43:00 AM More reviews by smartgirl06

I too saw this product on panacea81's youtube website, and she said it was VERY sheer and wished it was more like her other eyeshadows...BUT it looked awesome! It is a sheer eyeshadow and there is a lot of sparkle, but it also has a nice light quality about it and spreads onto the skin nicely so you can see that you are wearing eye shadow but not too heavy.
I can see how people don't like the "too" glitter-y-ness of it and it is pricey. I wish they would cut about $10 off their prices, but then it would cut into their profits and extra summer homes...

but i digress...you can buy this eye shadow as a kit/set on QVC for $44 that is called "Bobbi Brown Sparkle Eye Shadow & Liner Shadow with Brush," which I'm sure you could use some of the "liner" on the lid under the sparkle eye shadow of your choice. You can also use another color under the sparkle eye shadow as well to intensify the look you are going for.

all in all I think it is very pretty, looks sheer and lightly pretty on, but could also use some base color underneath for more appearance.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2009 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Faithersk

This shadow is so weird. You know how glittery shadows have a base color and then the glitter mixed in (a la Urban Decay)? Well this BB shadow has no base color. It is all glitter. On top of that, it also doesn't blend very well, has tons of fall out, and is $$$. What a waste of money for me b/c as it turns out my BE shadow in Nude Beach is almost the same color....a silvery lavender-y neural shimmer (BE is prettier though b/c it is shimmer and not glitter chunks). I tried this b/c I saw Panacea1 on youtube try it and she said "this is very neutral...very, VERY neutral". Sounded right up my ally...wrong!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2009 8:50:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm officially a sucker for BB eye shadows. At first I thought, "Is Bobbi nuts? Who's going to pay $24 for a LE shadow that's the same size as her other shadows with less color payoff?" I saw the new sparkle shadows in Nordstrom and became that person. These shadows are really pretty but not must-haves IMO.

Based on my NW20 pale skin, blonde hair and blue eyes, the MUA and I agreed that Mica is the best of the four shades for me. It reminds me of Rockstar in the pan and goes on as a very sheer shimmery wash--there's no color to this really. It does leave a beautiful wash and can be worn over other shades (I'm wearing it over Stone right now) without being OTT.

Since I'm over 30 I've started watching out for glittery or shimmery shadows that might accentuate the fine lines that I've started showing and this shadow does not settle into fine lines--it's great that way. There's minimal fallout too, which is great (Rockstar, by comparison, leaves a ton of fallout).

This isn't one I'd buy instead of similar ones (Rock, Rockstar, etc), but I like having it in addition to those. Not a must-buy at $24, but it's pretty and nice enough to tempt me to check out the other Sparkle Eye Shadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2009 9:01:00 AM More reviews by LauraG

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I couldn't resist buying a 4 shades since I am such a Bobbi Brown shadow fan and I am not disappointed. Ballet is a pink, Silver Moon a silver, Sunlight gold and Mica is a grey. Just like the name says it is a sparkle, but not an over the top one.
Fall out is minimal and it give you just the right touch of sparkle that is even suitable for day wear. It is best to layer this over your regular shadow since the color payoff is very sheer, but you can layer it for intensity.
It comes in Bobbi's new shadow pans with an extra clear lid to prevent fallout on your other shadows if you care to use this with her pallet system.
I am over 50 and the sparkle is just right for me, my eyes don't look like colored aluminum foil. These will last me forever but if I had to I would buy again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2009 9:40:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Mica is one of four new Sparkle Eye Shadows introduced in BB's spring '09 collection. When I first saw pictures of the Sparkle Eye Shadows online I was instantly reminded of the '05 Diamond Dust collection which was also sparkly and quite sheer. I uploaded a photo of both that I took of those two side by side into the review title. I actually still like to use my Rockstar Diamond Dust shadow from back then, so I was curious to see how it compares to Mica, which on the website appeared to be a nice medium grey with sparkle. More photos of Mica Sparkle, Galaxy Cream, Rockstar Metallic and Rockstar for comparison, also swatches of those four shades on my hand. All pictures are also in my profile.

Swatches:

Comparison of the four BB shadows:

Color description: Mica in the pan is a neutral shade of taupe with some grey, plum and beige-brown mixed in which gives it warmth. I would expect that many skin tones can wear this shade. The color payoff is sheer but it is somewhat buildable, with loads of pearly glimmer. Fallout on my cheeks upon application was not too bad actually, less than with the Diamond Dust. On my skin I can not detect any of the plum that I can see in the pan. Note: The online swatch (at neimanmarcus.com etc.) is rather misleading, Mica is far less grey and more of a silvery-beige than shown there. As you can see in the side by side swatches Mica appears much lighter on my (cool toned NW15) skin than it appears in the pan. I think the color is very beautiful, complex and quite unique. The silvery sparkles are quite visible, even with the sheerest swipe - before there is any color, there is glitter. Compared to the Diamond Dusts, this Sparkle shadow has more glimmer, color payoff is comparable. But with everything BB the glitter is not gritty but ultrafine and as understated as sparkles can possibly be :)

Packaging: The Sparkle shades come in the black square BB compacts which can be used as such or popped out of the compact and into BB's custom palettes. I appreciate the thoughtfulness that for the Sparkle e/s an extra translucent lid was added (just like in BB's pan glosses) to minimize the glitter fallout into other pans in a palette.

Price: $24 for 3.8 g (BB's matte shadows are $20, but for less product: 2.5 g).

Overall: Just to look at it, Mica is undoubtedly stunningly beautiful. Real visual eye candy and likely a must have item for a makeup collector. I will have to see how wearable the glitter is on me, especially for daytime. The BB SA at the counter wore it and it looked nice on her medium toned skin, but the glitter was quite visible. So for now I will give it 4 lippies, Mica definitely deserves them for being so pretty in the pan. I will experiment with it to see what other e/s shades it can best be paired with.

EDIT: Jan 29, 09: Knocked off one lippie due to lack of wearability. Even when applying several layers of Mica, I get just glitter for the most part and very very little color payoff. On my pale skin, there is literally no grey like you see it in pan but just sheer sparkle - and lots of it. Final verdict: Mica is super pretty to look at in the pan, but not wearable enough for me. Some finely milled grey shimmer added to the sparkle could have made this a winner.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No