January 30, 2015 | 1187 users online

Lipstick - Lipstick Queen - Medieval

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2015 9:51:00 PM More reviews by tracey_fox

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really like Medieval. A lot. But after my divorce, I was unable to afford spending over twenty dollars on what is basically a tinted balm...even if it is a really perfect color and consistency. It is not a lipstick, and can be swept onto the lips without a mirror. If I'm able to afford it again, I may purchase it as a splurge when I run out of my last tube, but I have found that a good sweep of lip balm and a very light touch of NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear in Sheer Red is just about a perfect match. Not as convenient, but at 1/22 the price, I'll take it. If the price is not a concern, though, Medieval is great!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2015 5:56:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

"Medieval is the red that flatters all complexions. Impossible to detect as anything other than a sensual melancholic hue." Poppy King - Lipstick Queen Founder.

During medieval times, when lipstick was considered a sin, women used the natural acidity of lemons to bring forth a natural blood-red stain on their lips, which is the look that the creator of this lip tint is aiming for. I only joined the Lipstick Queen bandwagon a short while ago, but Medieval has already become my go-to lip product. This is one of those products where the shade will look different on everyone; with my fair skin and pink lips the result is a sheer pinky red, with a slight hint of plum. It gives a rich, glossy colour without being a bold shade, and it goes nicely with all of my preferred eye looks.

My lips have been kept hydrated and flake free during cold weather and central heating, as the formula is buttery and light. Having a moisturizing formula means that this product isn't very long lasting, but the concept and colour makes up for this downside for me. The price is a bit embarrassing, but I do like it enough - and wear it more then enough - to say that I'm extremely likely to buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2014 11:14:00 PM More reviews by mangobun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The texture is very much like a tinted lip balm and is comfortable to wear, but the color and texture are not particularly special, especially for the price. It's a sheer neutral red that doesn't layer to get any more opaque. I think it is easily replaced with Revlon lip butter in Red Velvet, which can be sheered out or layered, or by any red-tinted lip balm.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2014 3:26:00 PM More reviews by peaceblossom86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this lipstick! Such a perfect, subdued red. I apply lightly and can wear it at the office. Apply an extra coat or two and I'm ok for happy hour in a dark bar.

Not drying at all. If anything it seems to leave my lips feeling better.

Wears great. I get several hours of full color and then it slowly starts to fade, but it fades very nicely/evenly. Doesn't disappear in the middle or settle into cracks.

I'm not a huge fan of the smell... It smells like clinique lipstick (which both my mom and grandma used so to me, is just a classic lipstick smell). I prefer lip treatments with a slightly sweet/fruity/vanillay smell. It doesn't smell bad (or strongly!). No taste either.

Its a bit on the pricey side $22 or so for a regular sized tube. Have to say the tube did last me a bit longer than I thought it would, which helped cushion/justify the cost. Will definitely repurchase, but wish it were a tiny bit cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by spykitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

a fantastic, easily applicable berry-ish red-stain-slash-lip-balm. it's a step up from my beloved cherry chapstick in color, but a stepdown from a full red lip. good, soft red that builds easily and has just enough staying power.

doesn't sink into lines in the lips or anything gross. when it does wear off, it barely leaves a trace (but it does so in an even way that makes it look like you're just gorgeous and flushed.)

i actually wear this stuff to mass, of all the places, and recognize the hunk of irony behind wearing this concept lipstick to mass (hah!) i feel weird wearing a "real" lipstick to my church, so this kind of does the trick and makes me look made up without looking "made up". not really my lips at all, but better!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2014 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Scarlet39

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I ordered this on a whim from Ulta. I had checked out this line previously at Barney's but wasn't really "wowed" by any of the products. What a mistake! This is my new favorite lipstick! The color is a gorgeous soft rose/red on me, it has decent staying power, and is comfortable to wear (no dryness). The only minor quibble I have is that I really don't like the tube. Looks a little on the cheap side to me. But, for a beautiful color payoff like this, I can live with it!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2014 1:32:00 PM More reviews by familydoc99

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The perfect product, extremely versatile and just a beautiful sturdy packaging. Wearing just a swipe of it can brighten the face (or brightens ones mood too :) and it can be easily build up to a true red for special occasions. For daily use, even a very small amount conditions the lips, and whats so unique is that the color sinks into the lips giving a very natural flush that lasts a long time almost like a stain, without the characteristics that some may have with traditional lipsticks ie tackiness, cakeyness, being afraid it's going to come off that can make you feel conscious of it. Absolutely worth every cent! Hope to keep this as a staple for a long time.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by VersaillesVixen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I really do like Medieval, but I said I wouldn't buy it again on here simply because of the price. It's not that it's WILDLY overpriced, but this tube would probably last me the rest of my natural life anyway, and while the color is very nice, it's not anything incredible. This formula is more like a balm; someone else compared it to Fresh's Sugar in Rose-- spot on, these two are nearly identical. I prefer Fresh Sugar's formula and scent, but I like the color and packaging of Lipstick Queen's Medieval better (I experienced the jostling-around-in-the-tube issue some other people complain of with Sugar's balms, which is the last thing I want in a balm that is so pricey!). My only real issue is that Medieval doesn't wear well. It doesn't have great staying power, but it also changes in color quite a bit from start to finish on me. Depending on how much I layer, it can start out anywhere from a soft pink to a solid red, but no matter where I start from, it eventually wears to a slightly fluorescent-ish pink that isn't too flattering to my pallor. Since I tend to apply my makeup then go, and rarely re-apply later, this is something I will save for quick evenings out instead of a day-long look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by SuziH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I finally purchased this from Ulta last weekend, after having tested it on my hand several times in the past couple of months. I'm not quite sure why I finally decided to purchase Medieval, but I am ever so happy that I did! Not only is this an excellent "everyday red," it is also quite long-lasting, moisturizing, and comfortable to wear. I've always been a sucker for lip products (and have purchased nearly every form from low-end to high-end over the decades), but I must say this is truly my favorite. The hue is a subtle and natural red flush, not something that screams out that I'm wearing lipstick. I love the tube itself, although I kind of wish it didn't have "Lipstick Queen" emblazoned upon it. Like others have said, the packaging artwork is quite intriguing, too.

When I glide this lovely lip stain across my lips, the effect it gives calls to mind one of my favorite paintings from 1893, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci," by John William Waterhouse. If you've never seen the painting, you should Google it. The pre-Raphaelite artist painted an intimate scene in which we find an ethereally beautiful young lady who is passionately gazing into the eyes of a knight, her flushed lips are slightly parted to receive a kiss from her chosen suitor. This particular artist often painted scenes which had been based upon famous poems, and most of his paintings feature what I consider to be a standard of beauty, where the glow of the subject shines, not as a result of the cosmetics she wore to enhance her features. Wear this gorgeous lipstick, and that same effect shall certainly be yours!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by number1larissa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a good PIGMENTED TINTED LIP BALM. I put that in caps because some reviewers are saying this is a great red lipstick, but lipstick it is not. Now, I love red lipsticks, but I love the vintage-looking, 1940s-esque matte reds. So that's what I think of when I hear/read "red lipstick". This is more like a Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Cherry or Passion, which are both red shades (Cherry is a little brighter, more of a popsicle-red, whereas Passion is a little deeper and closer to Medieval). However, this doesn't have the yummy taste/smell of those, so if you're looking for a sheer-ish red balm at a high price, I'd choose one of those over this - Medieval is definitely going for an unfragranced vibe, but something is off and mine is kind of chemical-esque (although it does wear off after 15-30 minutes). Perhaps mine is a little bit old which could possibly account for that, but since I'm very sensitive to smells, it's a little off-putting (a friend gave it to me because she didn't love it, that's why I'm not sure how old my particular tube is).

I gave 3 stars, but I really feel it's more like 3.5. I love the deep color and metallic feel of the packaging and I find that the lid stays pretty secure, which is nice (although I have to say I like Fresh's packaging better; I like that you have to screw the lid on and off, and I like that it the shape of the product is flat like a balm and not slanted like a lipstick/Medieval). Staying power of Medieval is so-so, about an hour or two which is on par for a balm. However, I don't think it's as good as other options for the price, and wouldn't buy myself a second tube.

If you're looking for a cheap drugstore tinted lip balm, I recommend Maybelline's Dr. Rescue Baby Lips; the most pigmented in the line is Soothing Sorbet and is kind of a pinky-red and reminds me of Medieval in the texture and staying power. That line of Baby Lips has eucalyptus in it so it'll kind of smell/taste like that, but I don't mind. The original Baby Lips are also well-pigmented and there's a red in there (Cherry Me), I just didn't care for the heavily artificial cherry smell/taste. Revlon's Candy Apple lip butter is also good, except it leans a little more orange-red whereas Medieval is more blue-red.

After reading my review again, it seems like I don't care for Medieval at all, which isn't the case; I just don't feel like it's anything special and that there are better similar products out there at various price points. But if you have it and love it and it's HG for you, that's awesome! It's just not my favorite in its category, although I'm glad I was able to try it and make that decision for myself :)