Lipstick Queen Medieval

4.3

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This lipstick is very moisturizing and is packed with pigment. It's a fun color to wear day-to-day.

on 3/27/2015 2:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I agree with other reviewers that this is really a glorified tinted lipbalm, but I am ok with that. I love how moisturizing it is and that I can put it on without looking. My favorite time to use Medieval is after you have worn a red lipstain for a few hours and you need some moisture on your lips. It fills in any gaps in color nicely. I think the pricepoint is pretty high considering and would really have to think twice about repurchasing.

on 1/12/2015 9:51:00 PM

I really like Medieval. A lot. But after my divorce, I was unable to afford spending over twenty dollars on what is basically a tinted balm...even if it is a really perfect color and consistency. It is not a lipstick, and can be swept onto the lips without a mirror. If I'm able to afford it again, I may purchase it as a splurge when I run out of my last tube, but I have found that a good sweep of lip balm and a very light touch of NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear in Sheer Red is just about a perfect match. Not as convenient, but at 1/22 the price, I'll take it. If the price is not a concern, though, Medieval is great!

on 1/10/2015 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

"Medieval is the red that flatters all complexions. Impossible to detect as anything other than a sensual melancholic hue." Poppy King - Lipstick Queen Founder.

During medieval times, when lipstick was considered a sin, women used the natural acidity of lemons to bring forth a natural blood-red stain on their lips, which is the look that the creator of this lip tint is aiming for. I only joined the Lipstick Queen bandwagon a short while ago, but Medieval has already become my go-to lip product. This is one of those products where the shade will look different on everyone; with my fair skin and pink lips the result is a sheer pinky red, with a slight hint of plum. It gives a rich, glossy colour without being a bold shade, and it goes nicely with all of my preferred eye looks.

My lips have been kept hydrated and flake free during cold weather and central heating, as the formula is buttery and light. Having a moisturizing formula means that this product isn't very long lasting, but the concept and colour makes up for this downside for me. The price is a bit embarrassing, but I do like it enough - and wear it more then enough - to say that I'm extremely likely to buy it again.

on 12/4/2014 11:14:00 PM

The texture is very much like a tinted lip balm and is comfortable to wear, but the color and texture are not particularly special, especially for the price. It's a sheer neutral red that doesn't layer to get any more opaque. I think it is easily replaced with Revlon lip butter in Red Velvet, which can be sheered out or layered, or by any red-tinted lip balm.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love this lipstick! Such a perfect, subdued red. I apply lightly and can wear it at the office. Apply an extra coat or two and I'm ok for happy hour in a dark bar.

Not drying at all. If anything it seems to leave my lips feeling better.

Wears great. I get several hours of full color and then it slowly starts to fade, but it fades very nicely/evenly. Doesn't disappear in the middle or settle into cracks.

I'm not a huge fan of the smell... It smells like clinique lipstick (which both my mom and grandma used so to me, is just a classic lipstick smell). I prefer lip treatments with a slightly sweet/fruity/vanillay smell. It doesn't smell bad (or strongly!). No taste either.

Its a bit on the pricey side $22 or so for a regular sized tube. Have to say the tube did last me a bit longer than I thought it would, which helped cushion/justify the cost. Will definitely repurchase, but wish it were a tiny bit cheaper.

on 11/15/2014 1:02:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

a fantastic, easily applicable berry-ish red-stain-slash-lip-balm. it's a step up from my beloved cherry chapstick in color, but a stepdown from a full red lip. good, soft red that builds easily and has just enough staying power.

doesn't sink into lines in the lips or anything gross. when it does wear off, it barely leaves a trace (but it does so in an even way that makes it look like you're just gorgeous and flushed.)

i actually wear this stuff to mass, of all the places, and recognize the hunk of irony behind wearing this concept lipstick to mass (hah!) i feel weird wearing a "real" lipstick to my church, so this kind of does the trick and makes me look made up without looking "made up". not really my lips at all, but better!

on 11/2/2014 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I ordered this on a whim from Ulta. I had checked out this line previously at Barney's but wasn't really "wowed" by any of the products. What a mistake! This is my new favorite lipstick! The color is a gorgeous soft rose/red on me, it has decent staying power, and is comfortable to wear (no dryness). The only minor quibble I have is that I really don't like the tube. Looks a little on the cheap side to me. But, for a beautiful color payoff like this, I can live with it!

on 8/8/2014 1:32:00 PM

The perfect product, extremely versatile and just a beautiful sturdy packaging. Wearing just a swipe of it can brighten the face (or brightens ones mood too :) and it can be easily build up to a true red for special occasions. For daily use, even a very small amount conditions the lips, and whats so unique is that the color sinks into the lips giving a very natural flush that lasts a long time almost like a stain, without the characteristics that some may have with traditional lipsticks ie tackiness, cakeyness, being afraid it's going to come off that can make you feel conscious of it. Absolutely worth every cent! Hope to keep this as a staple for a long time.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I really do like Medieval, but I said I wouldn't buy it again on here simply because of the price. It's not that it's WILDLY overpriced, but this tube would probably last me the rest of my natural life anyway, and while the color is very nice, it's not anything incredible. This formula is more like a balm; someone else compared it to Fresh's Sugar in Rose-- spot on, these two are nearly identical. I prefer Fresh Sugar's formula and scent, but I like the color and packaging of Lipstick Queen's Medieval better (I experienced the jostling-around-in-the-tube issue some other people complain of with Sugar's balms, which is the last thing I want in a balm that is so pricey!). My only real issue is that Medieval doesn't wear well. It doesn't have great staying power, but it also changes in color quite a bit from start to finish on me. Depending on how much I layer, it can start out anywhere from a soft pink to a solid red, but no matter where I start from, it eventually wears to a slightly fluorescent-ish pink that isn't too flattering to my pallor. Since I tend to apply my makeup then go, and rarely re-apply later, this is something I will save for quick evenings out instead of a day-long look.

Popular Lipsticks