Clinique 3 Step System

2.8

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

made me break out in hives after only one use. it's one of the worse products I've ever used on my skin. didn't work for me, but maybe it'll work for you guys?

on 6/15/2015 8:58:00 PM

I got a sample sizes to try. The packaging and color was good for traveling.

Step 1: Liquid facial soap mild - I found a bit too mild for my skin. I like deep cleansing with some grit. The scent was nice and fresh though.

Step 2: Clarifying lotion - It was a cleansing towelette. My skin is slightly sensitive and it had a tingle after use. The scent was fine.

Step 3: Dramatically different moisturizing lotion - I have tried the gel version and prefer it to the lotion. My skin soaks up the lotion very fast. The gel had a cooling effect and took longer to soak in.

Overall, the 3 step process was okay.

on 6/9/2015 4:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have never had acne before but after using the 3 step system, my right cheek is infested with pimples. I really like their packaging but I was SO disappointed in the products especially the toner because it smelt strongly of alcohol. I would not recommend this to anyone.

on 6/5/2015 10:28:00 AM

Couldn't give this a zero or too low a rating because the moisturizer is good. However, the soap is awful

on 6/3/2015 11:04:00 AM

I bought this and 5 other products in a gift set. Let me start by saying I hardly ever get spots. It's only when Aunt Flo visits I get them. Anyway I purchased this, used it and I had the worst skin I had ever had. I could not figure it out, I was breaking out like crazy. I visited a beautician who looked closer at my skin and said because my skin was being made dry it was producing more oil. So I stopped using it, used decolar I think it's called? And my skin cleared up.. Goddamn you Clinique!!

on 5/20/2015 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

So I guess its time for me to review Clinique's 3 Step system - I have been using it, leaving it behind, and returning to it for something like 25 years now! I am lured away by the sexier, more exciting, more expensive, more natural, and yet I have always come back to this. Currently I am having my daughter try it since we haven't found anything natural that has worked for her acne.
I think the trick with the three steps is you CANNOT let the online skin consultation, or the SA at the Clinique counter, sell you their usual, cookie-cutter 3 Step System. I have been told I can't even count how many times, that my super dry skin needs the Liquid Cleanser, the #2 Clarifying Lotion/Toner, and the dear old yellow DDML. I didn't even realize there were other options! Finally when my skin was at its driest, a brilliant SA sold me the EXTRA MILD cleanser - whole new world! Now I use the extra mild lotion cleanser, the MILD clarifying lotion, and DDML in the warmer months, with the Moisture Surge Intense as my moisturizer in the winter.

You really have to know your skin, and not let an SA talk you into anything else. I often order online rather than face an SA trying to talk me out of something that I know will work. If you're oily, use the dramatically different gel, if you're super dry, you might need a heavier moisturizer. I strongly recommend that everyone use the mild clarifying lotion/toner and stay far away from the others. The mild one is a milky, almost gel-like pale green one, never found in their kits and only available in the smallest size. It is the only one without alcohol. The extra-mild cleanser is a milky, non-foaming lotion cleanser. It will clean your skin and get rid of all your makeup if you use it with a cloth. What I do is wet a washcloth with fairly hot water, rub 1-2 pumps of the lotion cleanser all over my DRY face, lay the cloth over my face for a minute to kind of stream off and loosen dirt and makeup, and then gently wipe. Works well for me with this and any other lotion or oil cleansers.For my daughter we are trying the Acne Solutions foaming cleanser, with the mild clarifying lotion, and the dramatically different gel. She tried the whole Acne Solutions line in the past and using them all together dried and irritated her skin, so we are mixing and matching again.

I honestly think that if you find the correct 3 Steps, this can be a good basic skin care system. I'm not crazy about everything Clinique, but overall, they are a solid, affordable (for department store brands) choice that offers many good products.

on 4/21/2015 1:52:00 PM

I think that this set is quite honestly useless and although I am acne prone and oily, it made my skin dry out without doing anything to help my acne! It makes me sad to think I spent around $180 (NZ prices generally cost about double USD) on this full set and all it did was sting my skin and make it dry!

on 4/18/2015 3:17:00 PM

Please don't buy!!!! Used just the sample set and broke out in hives/acne which has left scarring and is still continuing... after a year! Ugh, worst thing I've EVER used!

on 4/15/2015 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I used the Clinique 3 step system for combination/oily (3) skin religiously everyday for 1-2 months, morning and evening, and there was no other products added. There was minimal use of electronic devices assisting the skincare regimen, such as the Clarisonic Mia brush etc. My skin concerns are some blemishes, acne scars and oily T-zone.

Content:
Liquid Facial Soap, 50 ml
Clarifying Lotion, 100 ml
Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, 30 ml

Duration of product:
The amount of product given was more than enough for my skin to be able to show some result. Although, I stop before everything ran out because of other reasons so for the duration I give it a 5/5.

Price:
Bought the kit for 285 SEK, which is about 30 USD. I thought it was pretty cheap for the amount of product, so it gets 4/5 for the price.

Packaging:
I quite liked the packaging, it was easy to get the product out and looked cute. Not much to complain about so a 4/5!

Effectiveness of product:
I don't want to bash on products since things like this are individual, but this was probably the worst products I've ever used. The cleanser was really drying on my face and the toner was irritating on my skin (felt like it contained 100 % alcohol), making my skin red. The moisturizer, which I found out later on that it was supposed to be like a "pre-moisturizer" (to be used before moisturizer), didn't moisturize my face at all. I got pretty dry and it didn't keep my oily T-zone at bay. But since I might've worked better with a "real" moisturizer after using it, I rate an extra point rounding up to 2/5.

Overall rating:
Since the product didn't work for me at all, kind of made my skin even worse, I give a 2/5!

on 4/6/2015 9:04:00 AM

I started to use this kit type 2 about 2,5 weeks ago. I just had some dry patches around my nose and a few blackheads in my t-zone and hormonal pimples on my forehead.
Since I started to use these products every morning and evening I got massive breakouts. my skin became so dry and it gave me some really irritated pimples underneath the skin (forehead, cheeks, nose). Even though I never got pimples on my cheeks and nose.
I know they say keep going on and I did.. but seeing these results after 3 weeks I deff quit using it. My skin became so irritated and looks like a vulcano. Very dissapointed in this 3 steps system :(

Popular Face Skincare Products