February 27, 2015 | 1317 users online

Skincare - Face - Clinique - 3 Step System

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2015 3:07:00 PM More reviews by brittswns

So, i will admit that i have not been using this product for that long and this review may be a bit premature, however, i plan to update as i progress on my journey. So, the first thing i can say is that i have always been a fan of Clinique, but because i dont often have the money to splurge on it i can rarely get one of their products. I did run into some money last week however and spent it all on the three step system. This is what i can say so far.
Cleanser: I really look forward to using this product twice a day. i use the mild soap for skin type 2 and it feels really nice. after i wash my face with it my skin is noticably refreshed. the only thing is that on some occasions it lathers better and i think it has to do with the tempature of the water which i have yet to figure out. other than that i like it. it isnt a fancy face wash designed for anything other than getting the dirt off of your face so dont expect anything amazing within the first few days, its a process.
Toner: I like this stuff because of the tingly feeling, however i did realize it is because of the menthol wich outs me off a little. however i do still enjoy this step very much and it feels super clean afterwards. it does dry me out a little bit, but i can handle that.
Lotion/gel: so i got the gel for type 3/4 a long time ago because it was summer and i was super oily, but now im dry. i still ue it however and i do like it, my only problem is that it isnt thick enough for my dry patches around my noes and upper lip. that is easily fixed however with this sample of another lotion i got that i just put ontop of it. I like the texture of this lotion however and it feels really good afterwards.
overall my skin is slowly improving and my friends are commenting that it looks more even. i still have some pimples coming up but i assume its because its purging the bad stuff... i hope haha. i like this skin system and use it as directed. i hope it works because i spent a lot of money on it and it would suck if it didnt.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2015 1:53:00 AM More reviews by RosyBloom

I purchased the "3 Step System" hoping to achieve balanced skin and keep breakouts at bay. The system comes with a cleanser (I chose the pump version instead of the bar because I think it is way more sanitary), toner and moisturizer.

Within a week my skin felt unbalanced, dry and irritated - the exact opposite from what I wanted. From here I dug a little deeper into researching the ingredients of the products and these are the problems I found:

Cleanser:

-I actually didn't mind the cleaner but still had that tight feeling to my face after I used it, which was not relieved by the toner or moisturizer

Moisturizer:
-Contains mineral oil, which clogs pores
-Contains colourants, which could potentially irritate the skin

Toner:
-Contains a drying mix of alcohol and salicylic acid
-When the lid is opened all you can smell is rubbing alcohol

Conclusion: This didn't work for me because I have sensitive and acne prone skin. The worst thing one can do is dry out the skin, which causes all sorts of problems including wrinkles and the over production of oil resulting in more breakouts. For those of you considering purchasing this product with acne prone skin I advise you to reconsider - Instead of drying out breakouts it is actually better to apply moisture, which allows the skin to heal and creates a happy, balanced environment. After this I switched to a more natural range of products and my skin healed up in no time!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2015 12:53:00 PM More reviews by OFFICALREVIEWER

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

BEWARE SENSITIVE SKIN!!! My mom (strong holding skin) swears by the system. Sensitive skin/dry skin CAN NOT HANDLE THE 2nd step (skin cleaner)!! It is very very very drying on those that have hypoallergenic skin or cracking skin. It burns badly. Strong skinned, look into this to determine if it will work. Others, please don't waste your money!!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2015 3:47:00 PM More reviews by SmokeySings

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I tried this as a teen back in the 1980's and I tried it again in my early forties a couple years ago and it is still crap (imo) and made my skin a total wreck!!

First off, I would say do not buy into their 'theory' that the product will 'lift' the junk from several layers beneath your skin, which they try to say is why it makes your skin break out badly when you first try this. They say to give it x-amount of time. That is their 'selling' theory.

I beg to differ...
First off, it is pretty impossible for a surface product to reach 'several layers' beneath your skin. I am no scientist, but then again, I do not don a white coat in a department store and pretend to be one. But their 'theory' and selling point to me is hogwash, sorry...

I suppose after x-amount of time it could be possible for some skin to 'adjust' to the product and the breakouts might stop. Maybe.

But for me, it played total havoc on my skin.
When I tried it again recently in my 40's, the toner caused some severe large breakouts, BAD, painful breakouts, in particular re-occurring on my nose. Nice . I took it back to the Clinique counter and they again gave me the spiel of how I am supposed to give it x-amount of time (I gave it a good two weeks, and in all honestly I think it broke the skin down on my nose, as it took me several months, almost a year, to get my nose looking 'right' again. Yeah.) and they tried to exchange it for the 'milder' toner (they first sold me the #2 toner). Here is the thing. Their toners have alcohol as the first ingredient. Alcohol can make skin, especially sensitive skin, very 'angry'.....Alcohol, to me, on sensitive skin, does not belong on the face, especially not as the first ingredient.

I would say do not trust the white coats. They are just average girls working in a department store, trained to push this stuff. And hypo-allergenic and all that other hype is often just that.....hype.

The cleanser I felt did not really 'clean' my skin.
And the moistuizer..what..?? My skin if anything only needs a very light moistizer, and this did not even provide that for me. If anything I suspect this moistirizer merely clogged my pores. I even gave it a chance on my somewhat dry hands, and it did nothing at all to moisturize. The only reason I gave it 'another chance' in my 40's is because I believe sometimes what does or does not work will work later. Boy was I wrong, and my skin sadly paid the price for it!!

I would suggest if you have really troublesome skin, it is best to see a dermatoligist. These products might make your situation worse.

I did not have terribly troublesome skin, sensitive skin, yes, but not 'troublesome' skin..not now and not as a teen. An occasional break out, maybe, but not 'bad' skin. This gave me 'bad skin'!!

Also worth noting, I was given quite the hassle when trying to return this, so be sure you really want to try this product. I can't remember what I did with it as a teen, I think it sat in my closet forever, unused for a very long time after it made my skin such a mess, until I tossed it in the garbage. But for me, trying to return this was difficult....to say the least. So proceed with caution if you want to buy this or try it out. I even had my receipt, crisp and perfectly flat and not wrinkled or anything, and was returning it well within 30 days. So their returns are not hassle-free.....at least not IME.
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2015 4:25:00 PM More reviews by adampaulmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

These products really have changed my skin. I'm a skin type number 4 (oily). I was told not to think of the dramatically different as a moisturiser, but as a 'drink of water' to rebalance the skin to make the skin function at its best to prepare your skin to make everything else work better afterwards, which is why I do my 3 step, then the smart serum (another holy grail) and then apply my creme de la mer moisturiser. With a combination of these products, my fine lines around my eyes and laughter lines have diminished, my skin is more even, nowhere near as shiny and more comfortable. I've tried the creme de la mer on its own and it was good, but not as good as with the 3 step beforehand. Plus with that being so expensive, I want it to work as best as it can! Use these products in the order stated above and I think you'll see as much of a miraculous difference in your skin as I have.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2015 10:13:00 PM More reviews by prettybrowneyez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm pushing 30 and I thought it time to switch up my skincare after using Neutrogena since for years (since high school). It wasn't doing anything for me anymore more, so I took a trip to Macy's and stopped the Clinique counter. I did the skin diagnosis at the kiosk. It was determined that I was level 2. Ok. So I spent $70 which is fine as long as the stuff works. It made my skin feel clean which was what loved about this system and stuck with it for 2 months. Well, I wasn't very amused for it started to break me out. For the record, I've never had breakouts despite my skin being a little more on the oily side. So I was shocked as you can imagine to see this happen to my skin. I thought maybe I should try level 3 instead which I did and it works a little better. Break outs are not much. I will continue to use until it's completely gone but I will be slowly replace each product one by one with Murad. I got samples of his products at ULTA and my skin loves his stuff more :). Clinique was ok, but I'm not wowed enough to repurchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2015 12:30:00 PM More reviews by leonara

I went to a Clinique kiosk looking for high quality products that gave a thorough healthy cleaning. Since I heard so much about Clinique and how good it was from different sources I decided to try it. The woman that helped me was really nice and professional. She cleaned my face and used different products while explaining their purpose and beneficial use. It was a total make over. I was impressed and everything felt light on my face which I liked. In the end I bought the 3-step an the Pore Refining Solutions Instant Perfecting Makeup.
It was the worst decision ever!
A week after using the 3-step, my face started to break out. At first I thought it was a way of cleansing and taking out all the impurities in my face. Well, not at all. A month later my face was horrible with really bad acne. I had a clean face with the occasional monthly pimple. That was it. And then to see my face like this...I just couldn't stand it. I went to my dermatologist and now I'm in the process of healing and regaining my before clinique face.

Then I found out several girls had the same problem. I'm not saying the 3=step doesn't work just because it didn't work for me or others as well. But you should really think about it before buying, because it isn't for every skin at all, even though they have options for different type of skins. And regaining your natural skin again is not that easy after the damage is done. I hope this review helps.

P.S. The Pore Refining Solutions I got recomended and bought was like 2 shades darker than my skin. I think it was an honest mistake from the employee, but it was my bad not going back for a refund or change.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2015 3:40:00 PM More reviews by allaboutthatmakeup

I got all 3 products for Christmas and did a full review on them on my blog. http://allaboutthatmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/cliniques-3-step-skincare-review.html?m=1

I also mention a good way to try them out for cheaper before investing in the full size! X

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2015 7:54:00 PM More reviews by ezgore

I like these products. I have a combination skin, so I'm using the green cleanser, purple toner, and the yellow gel moisturizer.

I have read both positive and negative reviews about these, but I've been using these products for some time now, and they work for me. Well, not all of them but I'll get to that in a minute. The facial cleanser is what I really like. It just works for me. I feel purified. It is like an industrial cleaner that doesn't destroy my sensitive skin, which is perfect for my taste. Well, tonic really helps with that as well. It REEKS of alcohol which I love, and feels like it burns my skin and I don't know why but I like it. It feels like it's working. I feel like I should try other products just to learn more of other brands, but in the future, I might go back to them. But moisturizer is shit. After all those heavy duty cleansing stuff, you need a better moisturizer. When you apply it on, your skin is like a baby's butt, but very quickly, like in a few minutes, it leaves my cheeks dried up, and since I'm out of the moisturizer, I will not be buying that again.

For that kind of price, I'm pretty sure you can get better or similar products. Just avoid that moisturizer, if you have a classic combination skin, like mine.

Packaging is a bitch, I would say. Especially for the moisturizer, I had this 100 ml special edition stuff and it had a pump. When I couldn't pump the rest out, I cut it open and there were 2 weeks of products in there, AND I CUT MY FINGER IN THE PROCESS. The rest of the cleanser has a pump as well but it is easier to deal with, although I cannot cut that bottle open. It's some type of hard plastic that will not allow me to cut. Toner doesn't have a pump so we cool.

Like I said, I'll try some other products and maybe come back to the cleanser and toner, but not for the moisturizer, no sir.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2014 8:00:00 PM More reviews by IreneAdler97

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

They only way I can work with this set is if I choose extra mild cleanser, mild clarifying lotion (not the no. 1 ) and a moisturizer other than that yellow stuff. Dramatic different lotion gives me millia. I had a boss who had used nothing but Clinique. Her skin looked good for her age.