July 22, 2014 | 2378 users online

Treatments (Face) - Rationale Retinaldehyde Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2012 7:00:00 PM More reviews by XpugsX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's really pricey at $165 per bottle. It lasts about 4 months. Can I find anything else that does the same job? No! Prior to using this, I had the occasional spot, I battled redness and hormonal skin changes. At least my skin is predictable now. The bumpiness I had around my forehead is completely gone and the texture of my skin is smooth and clear. It's hard to afford this, but I would not be without it. I just make sure to use a really good sunscreen during the day because you need it if you are using this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/16/2011 8:51:00 AM More reviews by barbiH

ORIGINAL INGREDIENTS: Water (S), Butylene Glycol (S), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (M), Phenoxyethanol (and) Methylparaben (and) Butylparaben (and) Propylparaben (and) Ethylparaben (P), Sodium Hyaluronate (M), Natto Gum (AO), Butylated Hydroxytolulene (AO), Retinaldehyde (A), PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil (M), Sodium Bisulfite (AO). It contains .1% retinaldehyde. At first look, it looks like a nice "low-fat" retinaldehyde serum, loaded w/ butylene glycol and buckets of preservatives. The price downunder is prohibitive IMO - $160 for 1/2 oz! Ok, so here's the deal-breaker.....here are the CURRENT INGREDIENTS: water, isononyl isonononate, cetearyl alcohol, dicaprylyl carbonate, caprylic/capric triglycerides, 1.3 butylene glycol, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, laureth-5, retinyl palmitate, retinol, sodium polyacrylate, tocopherol acetate, dipotassium glycyrrhizinate, sodium hyaluronate, phenoxyethanol, ethyhexylglycerin, diazolidinyl urea, rosemary extract, white tea extract, retinaldehyde, beta-carotene. COMMENTS: retinyl palmitate, retinol AND retinaldehyde? Rosemary extract, really? Thumbs down.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 10:04:00 PM More reviews by snailmail

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was worried about trying this product. I thought that sensitive skin and Retinaldehyde were mortal enemies, but my doctor assured me that they are in fact, best friends. She was right, although applying Retinaldehyde over the Skin Refining Serum was pretty scary because it did sting for about 5 minutes and I thought I was going to wake up the next morning looking like a mess! I was completely wrong and I am glad that I persevered. I thought that once you had broken capillaries, you were stuck with them. I now know that there are products that work as long as they have enough active ingredient in them. I have also lost the little lumpy, bumpy bits along my hair line that used to frustrate me. My skin is also becoming more and more desensitised, but I am not sure which Rationale product is actually responsible for that because I am using 3 of them.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2007 1:26:00 PM More reviews by debbism

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Another great serum from this company however, I just didn't need it.

Pros: Made my skin feel like silk. These products already have improved my skin 10 fold but this was like a silk treatment for skin.

Cons: Was too much for my skin and I got some blemishes from it. It also hindered the effectiveness of the Refining Serum so I came to the conclusion that too many products, in my case, was bad - less is more. Color was yellow and temporarily left a yellow cast on my skin that I didn't fancy all that much PLUS you need to use a lot as it soaks in way way fast - might be a pro to some though!

Bottom line, Good product but not for my skin type.