Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 6/11/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Warning....DO NOT take this stuff if you are already acne prone. I decided to try Biotin at 500mcg because I wanted to grow my hair out and read that it would help it grow faster. While that may be true, what they don't tell you is that if you are already acne prone it will clog every single pore with gunk from the inside out. Seriously - I ended up with cystic acne with hard white cores in them that needed to be extracted by my derm. One of them even made a tiny icepick scar. I had sebaceous filaments sticking out of my chin to the point where they were above the surface of the skin and excess sebum literally oozing out of my pores.

I am only giving this two stars because it did make my hair grow. However, who cares if you have long hair if your skin is a mess....never again.

I honestly don't know if taking double the amount most people take (5,000g) of biotin is safe but I do it and I've had amazing results. My skin cleared and my hair has grown more that usual in just the past month. I haven't noticed a big difference in my nails but I'll continue to take biotin and see what happens. Everyday I wake up and look forward to breakfast so that I can take my biotin. It is seriously the most amazing thing for my hair and skin.

on 6/10/2015 8:13:00 PM

This review is for the Alive gummies which have biotin in them.I've taking these for about 2 months and they are awesome for hair growth I actually had to start taking one every other day because my hair was growing so quickly. I do see a difference in my nails too but not as much as my hair.If your hair grows slow,try these!

on 3/7/2015 9:42:00 AM

I was skeptical about taking biotin it just seemed too good to be true. I was also worried because I have acne prone skin and everyone was saying it broke them out. I wanted to take biotin for hair growth because I got a hair cut that was very short and I didn't like it. I love biotin! I have been taking it about 1 month now and have noticed a huge difference in many things. With my hair I have noticed about 1 inch of new growth since my hair cut. I do have to say my hair does grow extremely fast on its own and that could also be why. I have also noticed that my "fly aways" or frizz in my hair is growing into a normal long hair! I am super happy about that! The biggest difference I have noticed is in my skin believe it or not. Everyone is saying that they broke out from this....my skin cleared up! I have been battling adult acne for years and have used a few products that helped but this litterally just made it go away. I am shocked I expected a crazy breakout from other reviews. I am also taking the biotin with fish oil and I drink 3 liters of water a day. I have noticed a massive difference in my nails also my nails are growing like a weed and are strong and aren't peeling like they used to! I am very impressed with this product. to review I'm taking: biotin 5000 mcg- vegan capsule from a health food store. fish oil 500 mg 3 liters (at least) of water a day but I'm 5 foot 10 inches if you're short you could do like 2 liters.

on 3/6/2015 4:20:00 AM

Really really helped with my hair growth and nail strength. Always take with a meal

on 2/14/2015 10:19:00 PM

I have been using biotin for the past 6 months to help grow my hair and prevent hair fall. it did not break me out at all and can report quick hair growth and less hair fall. I stopped taking it for about a month and noticed an increase in hair fall, so am religiously taking 10,000mcg per day. this product works for me.

on 2/11/2015 7:12:00 PM

Broke me out in 3 days! Gave me a huge cystic spot and a few other little gems. I bought the gummies for my hair because it's very long but it sheds a lot so I thought biotin would help with that. Sadly I will never know because you couldn't pay me to take it again! I took 2500mcgs with food and tons of water and within 3 days and I didn't change my skin care regime I got 2 painful spots that are going away now. But the huge one still here! I'm drinking water like mad to flush this out of me. It's a good vitamin and I probably needed a lower dose. Now though I don't want to find out. The zit I have right now is so not worth loosing a couple of hairs. Just do your research before you take this that would be my advice from my experience with it.

on 2/11/2015 6:19:00 PM

Be careful ........ Taking this supplement made me get Hyperkalemia. (high potassium) Hyperkalemia can cause heart attacks. I'd advise doing your research and getting your blood checked after using it for sometime. I only used it for a month or two so I did not see a change in my hair or skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been taking 5,000 mcg biotin for a little under a month now as I've been trying to grow my hair to mid back length for a while now, and for the longest time my hair has been at armpit length.I started taking this vitamin in hopes of fast-growing hair. I take one pill in the morning before breakfast. I must say that since I've started taking it, my hair has gotten a lot thicker than it normally is! My hair actually feels a lot heavier on my head now. I noticed that I already have a small halo of baby hairs coming out of my parting since I've started taking it! I think my hair has already grown about 3/4 of an inch since I started taking it about 20 days ago, my hair normally grows about half an inch per month.

I tried using this once when I was 13-14 and it gave me acne, but now that I'm 18 and I'm trying it, I haven't noticed any problems yet. That is something to look out for though if you are acne prone. Also it makes all the hair on your body grow faster, I have to shave more often since I have started using it. The plus side is I don't get ingrown hairs as easily! Also my eyelashes have grown in and they look great! They used to look so sparse.

My nails used to constantly break and would never get long! Recently they've been getting so strong and are finally growing out!

I'll update in about a month or so and tell you guys how things progress! So far I'm very happy, my hair has always had issues growing out for some reason and this may finally give me the long hair I've always wanted! I'm crossing my fingers here!

EDIT 2/1/15: I just noticed that my hair finally reaches my bra strap when straight! I feel like I can officially consider my hair "long" for the first time in my life! Even when my hair is curly, it just looks so long! This is the longest my hair has ever been, I'm so excited! I came back home from college after a month, and everybody was noting how long my hair had gotten! My hair always grew extremely slow, this is amazing growth! Now I would love to get my hair to the middle of my back, but for now I'm very happy! About 3-4 inches until I'm at mid-back length, I'll update later if it gets to that length.

on 1/19/2015 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Not sure if it works.. my hair grows pretty fast and i lose a reasonable amount in the shower which i attribute to hair shedding. Not sure if it was the biotin that did it, but i dont see a reason to stop taking it.

Popular Treatments