October 24, 2014 | 1608 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Summer Color Sunless Lotion Deep Dark

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by princesaportugues

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE it this product. Soon after application, I notice a beautiful, natural looking tan. It lasts for a few days on me, but requires re-application about once a week. This product is a must-have for me, and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a beautiful dark glow :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by lneice0160

I love this lotion! I'm not real tan but I'm not pale...but I get quite a bit of color out of this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 1:20:00 PM More reviews by Chelsdabrawsky

As I'm reading all the other reviews I made me think the People who used it had very pale skin. I love this product I put It on and I'm tan with in 20 mins not the orange color! TAN. I got a lot of complements.
And I have recommend to a lot of people I love it !

rated 1 of 5 on 7/31/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by djunk1e

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

EXTREMELY disappointed that they REFORMULATED this product. I didn't notice until I read a few reviews down stating this, and I went to go check for myself.

The bottle that I bought last year (in which dihydroxyacetone was the second ingredient) delivered a beautiful streak-free bronze/tan color in just 1-2 layers. I would apply it an hour or two before I went to bed, and I'd wake up in the morning with a gorgeous even tan. No complaints, and the smell of the lotion was super faint and would dissipate after application. Total HG!!

I was running out and bought a new bottle of this stuff about 2 weeks ago. I looked at the ingredients and dihydroxyacetone is basically the LAST ingredient on the list. I was iffy about using it but thought that the results with the new formula couldn't be that bad, so I did my usual routine and applied 2 layers on my body excluding my face. The color took a while to develop... and when I woke up in the morning I was utterly disappointed. The color was not "deep" at all and it BARELY showed up; I was pretty orange. The self-tanner smell was strong and lingered for a while as well. Luckily I still had product in my previous bottle (old formula) so I put on a thin layer of that, and it helped a bit.

I wish that they didn't mess with the formula in the first place. I'm assuming they moved DHA (the thing that produces pigment) to the bottom of the ingredient list so that you'd have to keep using more of the product to develop a deeper, bronzier color. Using up more lotion = buying more bottles in a shorter amount of time. Good for sales, I guess, but unfortunately not good for me as I developed an orange color with the new formula. Heck no I'm not about to layer more of it on!!

*also note, I don't self-tan every day--only when I have an event to attend or know I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures.

...with that said, now I gotta find a new self-tanner

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 12:10:00 PM More reviews by lhowell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This has been the best self tanner I have ever used and I have used many over the years... Unlike alot of people I only use it on my legs - I am out in the sun enough to get color everywhere else, but my legs never seem to tan very well.

Yes you need to be careful around your ankles and toes and all and you do need to wash your hands very well after you apply but other than that I think it is a great product.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2014 3:25:00 AM More reviews by Kinserhannah12

After reading the reviews I was excited to give this tan a try considering the price compared to the high end ones I have used. The product applied easily and completely streak free and I like the color immediately after application, but the next morning I was literally head to toe orange. Skeptical I was being paranoid I held something orange next to my arm and sure enough almost an exact match. Extremely disappointed but you can't expect that much for something this cheap.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by Briiii123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm quite fair so finding a great self tanner is a big deal! I've tried all kinds of brands, the sprays, foams, and various lotions and this self tanner blows everything else out of the water. I had been using Jergens firming self tanner for the last few years and was hesitant to switch, but I just wasn't getting the results I was looking for. This stuff comes out dark so you can see where you are putting it on, the smell isn't bad at all, and it dries quite quickly, it doesn't leave you feeling too greasy or sticky. I'll be sticking with this stuff from now on!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by troo12

I've only ever used Jergens but needed something quick to tan for the following day. This is amazing!!! I am fair skinned and was worried about the "deep dark" part but it worked out great!!! I only had one streak on my stomach but I blame me because it was my first time. It is also quick to dye so careful about your hands. I like that you can see where you are applying it :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Another product I love for my nw20 self and a summer staple. I probably go through a few bottles of this a year. Score is dropped due to large amount of parabens (which you may or may not be concerned about) and the fact that the tan doesn't last long (a few days, if I'm lucky).

I'm not a sunless tanning expert. I stumbled upon this product almost ten years ago and was happy with it since day one, so other than St. Tropez tanning mousse (which I wan't all that happy with, and that price tag!!), Banana Boat is the only one I can remember using. Reasonable color per application, and it is, of course, buildable. At times, it can go on slightly orange, but if you have even the smallest sun tan (I turn peach, I never really get a nice tan in the sun), then the Banana Boat Deep Dark Lotion will just top it off making it look a little deeper.

I don't use this to get "tan", though. I use it for a little bit of color, to help even out my skin on my face (yes, that's right, I use it on my face mainly) and to help blend in my rosacea redness--this may sound strange, but the color of this helps "yellow" my skin, so the rosacea ends up just looking like a pretty, natural flush instead of a big red blotch. One of the nice things about this lotion is that I find it hard to make mistakes with, unless you glob it on between toes or around knees or elbows. There is enough color pay-off in one application, but I usually like my color built up to 2 or 3 applications.

The scent is tolerable enough, although, I find if I don't rinse enough off before I start another application, it tends to smell like a marinade. Price is great at around $6-8 here in NYC for 6 fl oz. I will undoubtedly, keep repurchasing again and again.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/6/2014 5:21:00 PM More reviews by ustia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

They reformulated this product and the ingredient (dihydroxyaceton) that gives skin color is at the very end of ingredients list, it used to be the second one. So I had to return it back to store.