Ava Luxe Shambhala Tibet

3.2

on 7/4/2011 1:34:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

For my first venture with this I applied the smallest possible dot because it's screaming patchouli in the vial, and I hate patchoulli. It hit my skin as patchoulli from hell, then vanished completely. I had to add more and got that onset of awful, but it began to dry into a boozy incense wood with the patchouli over the top, and I waited in hope. An unfortunate dust/wood note made it seem cheap, but this fades super fast from that point into a sort of antique furniture store scent of dust, lacquer and old wood. It ended up as a lovely boozy amber, resins, wood scent, somewhat spicy. Too bad this didn't come much sooner, because while it's not worth the wait, the end is really lovely. Call it an interesting experiment.

on 4/25/2007 1:48:00 PM

As Wyrmiax notes, this is definitely a hippie-dippie fragrance, and while I enjoyed those days enormously in my youth, this isn't a fragrance I'd be likely to wear in the present day. The patchouli and spices are definitely echoes of the Far East, but the amber is just a bit too much for me. Too prevalent, it tends to turn this fragrance a bit sour and medicinal, rather than pulling the notes together, and it is quite prominent in the base. Ultimately, this fragrance is evocative not of Tibet, but of the tie-dye clad, musk-wearing guys of my college days, who drank lots of beer, protested unfettered capitalism and social injustice, and showered every couple of days.

on 8/3/2006 12:49:00 PM

Sadly Shambhala Tibet smelled exactly like a Chinese Traditional Medicine cure for colds that I use. It is very strong, syrupy, with an herbal bent. My BF thought that the medicinal smell was kind of nice but I just don't want to smell like this - maybe because it makes me think of being sick.

on 5/16/2006 7:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Beginning the Ava-Luxe sampling extravaganza--I was drawn to this because it's a grab bag of my favorite notes (oakmoss, galbanum, vanilla) and my husband's (patchouli, benzoin). In fact, my husband said eagerly, "What's that really dark one?", sensing a high patchouli concentration. It was a little sharp with the citron on first breath, but then our favorite notes blended well. The deal-breaker for me, though, was the tonka, which I find smothering, unlike the vanilla it resembles. As always with tonka-heavy blends, eventually I couldn't smell anything else. My chemistry peculiarities aside, this is definitely a hippie-dippie fragrance, so if you don't want a bohemian vibe, avoid it. (This is not a problem in our household.)

A deep, smokey herbal blend. There's some syrup in there - for balance. I feel as though this would make an excellent blend for meditation of yoga.

on 1/9/2006 11:09:00 AM

Unlike Elizam, on me patchouli was the prominent note in Shambalah Tibet. In fact, I would liken this to a sweeter version of Montale Patchouli Leaves. The vanilla is more pronounced in this scent than in Patchouli Leaves. Ultimately, however, there was just too much patchouli in this for me to love it.

on 1/6/2006 9:28:00 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to get another job just to fund my Ava-Luxe purchases. Every time I get more samples, I find another scent I can't live without. Such was the case with Shambhala Tibet. This is a gorgeous, calming scent, very similar in "feel" to Moksha, but a completely different scent. At first sniff, it's pretty heavy on the patchouli. But it dries down quickly, and what is left is a heavenly blending of spices and incense. To my nose, the most prominent notes are the patchouli, tonka and amber. If you don't like patchouli, don't be alarmed. The dry-down is actually a nice combination of incensey sweetness. All things considered, this is a very mellow, sensual scent, and not for the fainthearted. This one can come on pretty strong.

on 10/29/2005 4:10:00 PM

Shambhala Tibet is an exquisite, deep, mysterious and womanly fragrance. I love it, and will always have it in my collection.

on 6/4/2005 11:44:00 AM

Shambala Tibet is a wonderful mystery. You know, from the product description, that there's Amber, Siam Benzoin, Tonka, Spice, Citrus notes. You can pick out the notes in the scent. But they combine to form a mysterious, woody, slightly sweet, hint of fruit, aromatic, slightly floral, exotic ambery frag. OK, I'm leaving something out -- patchouli. I'm not a patchouli fan, and I find myself wanting to leave it out so that people like me, who see "patchouli" and turn away, will give this one a chance, at least with a sample. This isn't A Patchouli Fragrance. If you didn't know it was there, you might not even suspect it except there is a rich woody note, the note that is nice in patchouli. This is not a head shop horror. And quite honestly, this isn't a Perfume House Vavoom Amber perfume either. The rich citrus/cherry fruit hint takes it out of boring Vavoom amber. No, this is a mysterious concoction with the almost trademark slightly wierd, incredibly fascinating quality of Ava fragrances.

Popular Fragrances