December 19, 2014 | 825 users online

Styling Products - Dove - Dove Defined Texture Molding Cream

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2006 2:29:00 PM More reviews by Merrrp

Love the smell of this product, but this doesn't do much for me in the texture department (applied wet or dry). I have shoulder-length hair, and this cream seems to weigh it down a bit. Maybe this will work for girls with short bobs.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2006 11:14:00 AM More reviews by asphyxiad0ll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Yuck. I'm insanely low-maintenence when it comes to hair [mine is just past shoulder length, straight, and pretty much always down], but my friend has been bugging me about trying out that "piecey" look for awhile, so I picked some of this up to try it out - and I'm not happy. When I put it on my hair dry, it does help with the "piecey" look a bit, but it's STICKY and stays that way even after being on my hair for a few hours. And when I tried to put it on wet hair.. oh man. My hair was very difficult to manage, and it kept holding random shapes that I didn't want it to [extreme bed head, anyone?]. The only thing I could reccommend this for is if you wanted to use it to help your hair hold shape. After I had the bed head incident, I pulled my hair up into a pony tail with a bouffant, and my very fine hair held the bouffant loads better than it usually does - that's my only praise for this product, though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2006 10:01:00 PM More reviews by crazydiamond360

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Iíve been pretty happy with this stuff for my long, wavy hair. I suppose ďmolding creamĒ is misleading, I totally understand why the below reviewers hate this for their shorter hair. However, Iíve been doing the whole cowashing thing, and this has been great with the technique, (I had been having a hard time finding a product that was paraben free while also being cowash friendly...I spent about a 1/2 hour in the hair isle looking through ALL of the different pastes/waxes etc.). I apply sparingly (a little goes a long way) just to the ends of wet/damp hair. Brings a fab, piecey look that's not too matte or shiny, while weighing down my extra poofy hair and minimizing frizz. No stiffness and my hair isnít a pain to comb through at the end of the day like it was with Fructisís Surf Hair paste (which isn't paraben free or cowash friendly). Iíve also used this on dry hair and itís more difficult to work with. I suggest starting out with the smallest amount of product possible and building from there. On both wet and dry hair, after Iíve applied to the ends, I lightly run my palms over the my part/crown area to smooth flyaways and help hold my hair in place. Love the smell but not sure if I like the tub or if Iíd prefer a tube, and the price is right. The only thing I would change if I could would be that it would hold curl better.

EDIT: I won't repurchase this, in fact, I threw it out. Too goopy to work with and the end result was all to often a rat's nest looking do if I didn't spend 15 minutes working with it, getting it just right. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2006 4:56:00 AM More reviews by ceciliathemuppet

Yep, agreed.. yuck! I would have thought that Dove, with all of it's "moisturizing claims and products", would've created a much better molding cream than this! But it's even stickier and heavier than most that I've tried. And I don't like how it says you should only apply it to "damp" hair, because a good molding cream should be able to be applied to hair no matter if it's wet or dry. I have short hair that I want volumized and poofed-up in the back with a light but firm hold. Wax molders are a lot better than the molding creams.. they always seem to be as sticky as honey! This weighed my hair DOWN instead of poufing it up! I took it back the next day. If you've ever tried the crappy Salon Selectives molding cream, this is an exact replica!(Except the SS one smells better, like green apples, and is cheaper!) They will probably recall this product after a while hopefully.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/20/2006 8:49:00 PM More reviews by aidenraine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is yet another molding goo like any other molding goo. I tried it because, though I usually don't use drugstore products (as mostly, you get what you pay for), I used Dove for many years and it was moisturizing enough for my dry skin. I thought my short, spikey dry hair would love this.

Overall, it has the texture of marshmallow topping (and looks like it too.) It makes my hair sticky and doesn't have either great hold or moisturizing properties. Because of the stickiness, it's hard to get through my thick hair.

Just like every other molding cream that hasn't worked for me, nothing new.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2005 10:06:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I can't believe I was paying up to $20 for texturizing pastes when this little gem was sitting on the drugstore shelf for under four bucks. Works great to define hair and obtain the piecey look. Apply to damp hair to achieve texture and to dry hair to add finish. Contains silk amino acids and borage oil to moisturize hair. Comes in a 2.25 oz container.