November 21, 2014 | 1798 users online

Mascara - American Beauty - Softly Shaping Mascara

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2009 11:38:00 AM More reviews by knitknit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is a pretty mediocre mascara. It goes on well, minimal clumps. The bottle is of terrible design, every time you put the wand back in the container mascara is pushed off the brush and wasted, not good for a bottle that contains so little product in the first place. It flakes. like. crazy. Doesn't smudge, easy to wash off but FLAKES all over my cheeks at work- very unprofessional! Would not buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by RangerEmmie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my new favorite mascara (and I'm very picky!). I have long thick lashes that curl naturally. I know that sounds ideal, but they are light brown in color and need a healthy dose of black mascara to stand out. I've used dozens of mascaras in the fast few years (I plan to review all of them) and this wins out over most of them. The formula is thick but smooth and not clumpy at all. I was a bit worried about the brush due to it's close bristles and long odd shape. With my first use I was happily surprised, this color is a true black, using quality pigments that few drugstore priced mascaras fail to find. While many lower priced mascaras that claim to be black can dry looking charcoal gray, this one is a rich black. The brush separated my thick lashes, and paired with the perfect formula I was left with perfect black long thick lashes that hold their shape all day. Although it may take three coats to achieve this perfection, I think it's really worth it. This was a low priced mascara, only $11 and take it from a picky person, it's well worth it! The only reason I gave this a four out of five is the surprisingly small amount of formula in the tube only .16 ounces.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2008 4:53:00 PM More reviews by pupster

Decided to try this based on the reviews here and because I like other AB products and was looking for a good mascara. Unfortunately this wasn't it. Application is very messy due to the brush design, there is too much product clumped on the brush, you need to wipe it off which is a waste. When the brush goes back into the wand, a lot of the mascara oozes out of the top and leaves a mess around the top (I've also experienced this problem with Flirt lip glosses). During the day this really flaked, more than any other mascara I've tried. If you have sensitive eyes or contacts this one is definitely not recommended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2007 6:22:00 PM More reviews by beechezz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like how this mascara stays on. I found it to last throughout the workday with no smudges, and my lashes stayed curled. If a natural look is what you are after you will not be disappointed. Your lashes stay soft (hence the name) and don't look made up.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2007 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Youngchica

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome mascara!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2006 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Stef1968

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this mascara for 2-3 weeks and unfortunately, this didn't really give my lashes the length I was looking for. It was "good" overall, but didn't give any umph even after a couple of coats. NO problems with clumping and no need to separate lashes after application, but I noticed some days where smudginess occured toward mid-day.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/19/2005 10:08:00 AM More reviews by makeupmavenn

EDIT: This smudges and flakes on me now like crazy. My search continues!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2005 9:01:00 PM More reviews by shan1976

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I would highly recommend this mascara. It is a very soft mascara and doesn't smudge/flake and doesn't clump. It makes my lashes look longer. I have used it for over a month and it still works as if I just got it. Give it a try if you have had bad luck with other products clumping and smudging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2005 8:17:00 PM More reviews by minxgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow!! What a nice surprise! This is my first expirience w/ the American Beauty line, and certainly won't be my last (I also picked up their e/s duo, foundation & lipstick today). I have this mascara in 'Brown Velvet' & it kicks a$$. It does not clump or make your lashes crunchy (my #1 pet-peeve); it curls, lengthens & seperates like nobody's business & looks totally natural. LOVE...LOVE...LOVE!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2005 6:05:00 PM More reviews by chrissa

I just got this in midnight velvet a few days ago. I must say, it's one of my top 3 mascaras (the others being Cover Girl super thick lash, and Bourjois Talons Aiguilles). I've tried both higher end (Dior, Lancome, Clinique) and lower end (Maybelline, Revlon, Jane, Neutrogena, etc.), but my top three outrank them all by far.

Raves: Great dense brush that pulls out clean, doesn't clump up with multiple coats, waxy and soft but doesn't smudge or flake, easy to wash off with cleanser, adds volume and definition. What's not to love?!?!