July 24, 2014 | 1587 users online

Palettes - Lauren Hutton - Passport to Africa

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2008 9:05:00 AM More reviews by lilmama51

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I llove the concept of these palettes: everything you need at your fingertips but I ended up sending each one back because of the quality. The powders would flake or chip, the pans would fall out. Not worth the price even though I loved the colors and quality of the individual product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this palette - the colors are gorgeous and easy to put on. I have fair skin with slight yellow undertones and use this kit in Light. The concealers are wonderfully creamy and go on easily and cover very well. The powders are exquisite and I find that I can vary the look from very professional to glamorous. I have had no allergic reactions yet to this kit. Although each product within the kit has a specified use, you can easily adapt the concealers and the powders to achieve practically any look that you want. The Face Colors can be both blush and lip tint and so on. The end result is your skin but better and beautiful. Keep up the good work, Lauren!

UPDATE: 4/7/09: After several months of use, I had to stop using this product after developing a rash on my cheeks. Once I stopped using Lauren's products, my skin condition cleared. I guess there is something in this passport that my skin doesn't like. Phooey!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2008 5:28:00 PM More reviews by PeripateticAirhead

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this set in medium. Perfect for my light olive skin tone! This is the palette I use every single day. Sometimes I grab an eyeshadow from my stash to use on top of it (doesn't have any wild eyeshadow colors in the palette) or a different lipstick, but this palette is what I use to sculpt my face with every single day, and to do my whole makeup look most days too.

I keep trying other things but keep coming back to my Lauren Hutton makeup. The concealers are professional concealers, which means they really work. The bronzers/shaders/blushers/eyebrow powder are all perfect for my skin tone and just give me such a polished, my-face-but-better look.

This product is my holy grail. Maybe it will be yours, too, especially if you are, like me, beyond a certain age.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2008 12:29:00 AM More reviews by saltwaterdreaming

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Fantastic palette! Brought this in place of the disc and very happy with it. Takes 10 miniutes to apply, no need to apply foundation as the concealers do the job and the overall result is fresh/natural.
I brought the light, I have fair skin (yellow) blue eyes and red hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2007 3:06:00 PM More reviews by cannape

My makeup bag was getting pretty elaborate and I started looking for an all-in-one palette, which had originally led me to the Lauren Hutton Face Disc. That had almost everything in one palette, except powder. It also only allowed for one look (albiet a good one). The Passport to Africa has everything, including more options for multiple looks. I got it in Medium, and am comparing it to the Face Disc in Yellow (I'm a slightly tan asian).

In addition to the yellow sheer concealer you get in the Yellow Face Disc, you get the orangey sheer concealer from the Olive Face Disc. I find the yellow makes my undereye circles look ashy, while the orange brightens them up nicely. The yellow is better for lightening creases on me.

All of the opaque concealers are kind of light on me, but if I'm very careful about putting them only on blemishes, they can pass.

The Passport has a tinted lip balm instead of clear, which works ok on me. My lips are already too blue, so the plum tint is not as flattering as it could be, does does add some color. There are also two face colors, which the Face Disc does not have. One is too orangey for me to use as a lip color, but fine as a peachy blush. I like it compared to the powder blush because it's sheer and not too matte. The other color is a lovely deep rose, and it looks good as both a blush (used very sparingly, and blended well), and as a lip color when mixed with the tinted lip balm., otherwise it's too bright on me.

The contour shadow here doesn't give as dramatic results as the contour shadow in the Face Disc, but I think it works. The blush is dark, and very matte. I'm still a little young to use the Lauren Hutton's makeup (32 years old), so I feel like the blush is too matte for me-- I prefer something with a little more sheen to it. The color is pretty, though, and when used as a lip color over the tinted lip balm, becomes this amazing velvety vamp shade. The bronzer is very subtle on me, and the powder works fine on me.

The other shadows like pooch and nose are very subtle. I think they work on me, but I can't really tell, which is the point I guess. I do think the pooch & nose shadow made my nose look less puffy.

All in all, it's a great palette, and a great buy for $60.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2006 1:55:00 PM More reviews by TinaB

I didn't think anything would replace the LH face disc for me, but this has. First of all, Lauren said she reformulated the products in the Passport to Africa set. The sheer concealers are much more moist than those in the face disc, and even the powders seem softer and a bit more pigmented. This has everything I need for a full face, except for mascara and foundation.

Two sheer concealers: The light Passport is a mix of the pink and yellow discs. I like having both the pink and yellow concealers because I'm a mix of both.

Four spot concealers: These COVER and stay on all day when sets with powder.

Two cream face colors and tinted lip balm: The tinted lib balm is great as always. I use that and a dab of the cream face colors on my lips.

The blush and contour are slightly deeper than those in the disc, but still sheer and blendable.

Eyebrow, pooch & nose, eyeshadow and eyeliner powders:
The four small brown shadows can all be mixed and matched to be used as eyeshadow, eyebrow powder, and liner.

Pressed powder and bronzer: I'm glad she included a pressed powder in this. I don't really use the bronzer, except to mix a little of it with the contour to make a softer color.

Also new is the magnetized clasp on the Passport. It's really convenient to carry (though it is large and heavy) and it looks like a day planner. Great for travel. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2006 12:57:00 PM More reviews by margotlia

Looks like barely colored grease on the face. Looked worse with this "makeup" than without it. Maybe her powders ar better.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2006 9:21:00 AM More reviews by KelleA1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought the "passprot to the south pacific". So far not a bad product, but confusing to use. she has "color rings" around only certain product, that corespond with the instruction cards. The other products are for what? One is a face powder & it appears that the bottom 3 on the left side are lipsticks or blushes???
I bought this to travel with & it will be good for that purpose. My face looks very natural, almost a no-makeup look, which is nice. I've used it twice so far, hopefully I'll get better with using it. Probably won't replace my usual makeup, but some of her tips are good!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2005 12:39:00 PM More reviews by prisha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great kit overall (I bought the Medium; am just moderately fair w/ Irish, Swedish, & a little French lineage).
Concealer - So few palettes have concealer, & though it's not the best coverage, adding a smidge will help tremendously. Excellent range of colors. One of the pans fell out, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
Mascara - a pleasant surprise! Terrific for getting even the teeniest little lashes without the Bride of Frankenstein look. I also keep a thin liner brush w/ the Mascara in its elastic band.
Lips - nice colors, but the gloss isn't as glossy as I'd like. The powders are fine, though they must be used sparingly.
Blush - super-concentrated. Be careful!
Good makeup tips on cute photo cards of Lauren & pals in the wild.
The worst for me: the cards are so ridulously written, I can't imagine anyone over 12 using such poor sentence structure & punctuation. Honestly, it is almost hard to follow, it's so bad. It's unfathomable to think someone was actually paid to write its text. However, my daughter & I were in stiches, laughing our heads off as we read the cards; we couldn't help it. We just couldn't believe how truly awful the writing was.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2005 4:37:00 PM More reviews by KateWu

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ordered the Passport to Africa because I love palletes and Lauren was pretty convincing with makeup for women over 35. The kit arrived in good condition but like another poster some of the pans were loose and eventually fell out. I was ;looking forward to traveling with a simple, easy to pack kit. The fact that the cremes and powders were separate seemed like a plus also.

I got the light kit and the colors were a good match for my light olive complexion. I was hoping it would even out my mild case of rosacea, but the coverage was not good at all. I tried them with a primer and but was no better tham without. The blush was nice, but I don't use bronzer, contour or the eyeliner so it was a disappointment in the end. It may end up as play makeup for my granddaughter