November 21, 2014 | 1713 users online

Lip Gloss - Bobbi Brown - Shimmer Lip Gloss - Ruby Sugar

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Queenbii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ok so I recieved this as a gift from my mum for my birthday last week and I have to say I'm not really overy impressed by it... firstly I want to say I love the colour (Ruby sugar 6) but.... it was WAY too sticky and smells kind of like sunscreen mixed with vanilla? lasting power.. well.. if stickyness counts as lasting power I have to say it lasts a long time..

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2010 7:48:00 PM More reviews by allana2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So... I have been a MUA stalker for around 6 years and have never written a review. I figured it was about time that I did, and now that I have spent my Bobbi Brown birthday gift card and re-purchased this gloss, I realized this is a good time. I almost never buy a second of anything, so the fact that I bought a second $20 lip gloss speaks volumes. I bought the first one around 4 years ago and have used it so sparingly so as to preserve it! I always receive compliments when wearing this gloss. The reason I tried to make it stretch 4 years was that I was trying to find a DS or MAC dupe. Recently I thought I got close with MAC Squeeze It, but it was still off. While it kills me to spend $20 on such a tiny bit of a thing, I absolutely love this gloss and have sworn off buying any others for the next year!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2007 1:38:00 PM More reviews by fashionista_ae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my favorite color to wear around the holidays! This is the perfect shade of red, and gives just the right amount of sexy shimmer! And its more of a berry red than a red red, which makes it more wearable.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2007 2:19:00 PM More reviews by OolilredoO

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Loved this gloss! It's the perfect size to fit into my purse. It had the perfect stickiness that doesnt stick to hair, but at the mean time stays on my lips for a long long time. The little brush is also just firm enough. It would have been my HG l/g if i'm not in my teens, b/c the color is too dark. But if i use a light hand, the color is perfect. This is the only l/g that i found to be able to give my lips that clean solid color beneath and with a flawless glass coating on top. I will definitely try more of BB's l/g b/c the texture is just perfect.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2007 4:39:00 PM More reviews by watergirl78

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like this gloss, but it's definitely not HG. I love how moisturizing it is and that the moisturizing effects are very long lasting. On the other hand, it is very sticky. The color is pretty, but it is not very dark on my pigmented lips (MMM/GGG for reference) unless I really glom it on. I would call the color a sheer pinkish red with just a hint of shimmer. It adds a wonderful depth on top of my BB SPF 15 lip shine in Brandy. There is a slight vanilla scent to the product which is pleasant. I see that many posters hate the brush. I don't really have a problem with it, and I find it easier to use than doe-foot applicators. Yes, the risk of splaying the brush is high, but if you are very careful when you shove the wand back into the tube, you won't splay it. I would likely repurchase this, but I think it will last awhile. I might try a different color instead, maybe something more neutral and gold toned for summer? My rating: 4 lippies. I deducted one for the combo of outrageous price + tiny tube (even though the tiny tube is nicely portable) as well as for the risk of splaying the brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2006 3:37:00 PM More reviews by gwennw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ruby Sugar is a perfect color to have whether you want a natural, polished look, or a more sophisticated, elegant look. It is one of those versatile colors that can go both ways. One coat of this gloss is a sheer, light shimmery coat, of a flattering, wearable, ruby red. It is not too bright or too dark, it is more of a "stained", sheer look, but in a way that brings some luciousness to the lips. The look is sweet, innocent and feminine...very kissable! The color is incredibly flattering, and it is becoming my fall/winter staple lip color. To get a slightly darker look to the lip, simply fill in the lip with a sheer, nude pencil, and apply 2 coats of Ruby Sugar. Stunning! It is a modern twist to the classic red lip, and much less scary. My only complaint is that the small tube of gloss is very pricey at $19. I like the small size, which is great for throwing in my purse, but the price should be under $15. Stila lip glazes, which are comparable in price, seem to have almost double the amount of product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2006 9:06:00 PM More reviews by thinkpink710

On my pigmented lips, this gloss is just slightly darker than my natural lip color. I see some red and silver shimmer in this. It appears really dark in the tube but it's actually quite sheer. It's really gorgeous in the tube and on the lips! Yes, it's a small tube and yes, the brush stinks, but that's what you'll have to put up with! I don't mind the brush as long as they keep making this shade! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2006 3:20:00 PM More reviews by robbinrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

One of my favorite combos ... Rum lipliner, Slopes lipstick and Ruby Sugar lip gloss. DO NOT go by what the color looks like in the tube (icky, dark maroonish looking) ... otherwise I would have never tried it. It looks so different on your lips, more of a pretty, glossy medium berry than red; definitely not ruby in color (which I think of as a deep, red). Absolutely beautiful with any skintone and at it's best when worn over a lipstick. I am very surprised at the wonderful staying power for a lip gloss. No meltdown feel, like many other glosses, but stays put and has great wearing power. The downside is, as other reviews have pointed out, the small size for the price and the horrible little brush applicator. What will it take for BB to replace these terrible brushes with a better applicator?!?!?

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2006 6:53:00 AM More reviews by enka

Bobbi Brown Ruby Sugar gloss is a shiny neutral mid deep pink lipgloss. The name Ruby is very misleading and doesn't describe the colour correctly, which is not 'red' or 'ruby' at all. Think of a fair berry pink ice cream sauce you get in some old fashioned ice cream bars- that's Ruby Sugar Gloss!
On me, aged 32, NC 20, black hair, hazel eyes Ruby Sugar is an instant face brightener. It adds a subtile punch of colour to my face, but still looks natural and never overdone. I use it straight from the ward, I don't need a liner, because the gloss doesn't bleed into the small wrinkles around my mouth, even after hours.
The gloss itself is shiny and soft and applies evenly and fuss free. Stayings power is ok, the smell is nice and not too heavy.
My only complain is the prince, that is really a lot for such a small amount of lip gloss. If your're looking for a similar, slightly cooler lip gloss, that is almost half the price and twice the size of Ruby Sugar, try Aveda's Lip Shimmer in Thyme Bud, whitch is a fave of mine and a good colour match.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2006 11:37:00 AM More reviews by blyss

This gloss is a HG... the packaging and price however is not. This is a mixed review as the product itself should be shouted on the top of the roofs as HG but Bobbi Brown really goofed on the whole marketing of this.

Colour wise and quality of the actual gloss... it's near HG. It says ruby red but it's far from it. It's more of a sexy deep pink that has been cropping up on the lips of Hollywood stars for that 'sexy sultry pink but glam' lips. On my NC30 complexion, it really compliments. This is not a warm red nor a cool red. It has high shine and medium shimmer to give an illusion of fuller lips. The pigmentation is medium so it's not a liquid lipstick but it definitely gives colour. The lasting quality is pretty high considering it's not very tacky. Now... for the the rant parts ...

I would gladly give this a 5 rating but the price of this for a tiny tube is laughable. It's about 1/2 size of a MAC lacquer and twice the cost. If it wasn't for the gorgeous colour, I'd leave this one alone. Also, I have to agree with other reviewers about this brush. The brush has large bristles and if you're not careful on how you put the brush back into the tube, you're going to get a splayed brush that's permanently ruined. This makes for awful application in the future. Bobbi Brown... if you have people reading this, please know that we LOVE the gloss but you really have to rethink the whole price and packaging. This could potentially be a HG for a lot of women if these were fixed.