October 24, 2014 | 1597 users online

Skincare - Face - Aveda - Tourmaline charged Protecting Lotion

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2008 1:09:00 AM More reviews by OliviaChristine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this lotion hoping that it would give my acne prone skin just right amount of moisture, without causing any breakouts. I thought it was a bit expensive, but the bottle seemed like it would last a while. While I did like the way the lotion felt (lightweight and non-oily), I realized that it was causing major breakouts right away.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2008 7:28:00 PM More reviews by laurentothemax

I used to really like this product back when my skin was awesome and could put nearly anything on it with little or no problems. I thought I would try it again, just to see if it was as magical as I remembered. I guess my skin has changed. I found that it was not moisturizing at all. My skin remained tight and uncomfortable throughout the day even though i looked even shinier than normal. Also, I started breaking out in small whiteheads especially on my cheeks and jawline within a week of daily use of this product. I don't know if this product is the immediate cause or not. Great, sanitary packaging so I'll give it an extra lippie because I'm nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2008 9:24:00 PM More reviews by bellatrix13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this moisturizer. It is very hydrating and has a good SPF factor so it's a good protectant against the sun. It's got a nice texture and seems to sink into my skin immediately. All in all, it's a winner!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2006 1:52:00 PM More reviews by star_s_l_b

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm on my second bottle of the Tourmaline day cream. This is light years better than the regular hydrating cream. Although it is a bit greasy (most moisturizers w/a sunscreen are greasy on me) I love the nice mix of antioxidants it has and I like how hydrating it is. I also really love the fact that it has a pump - way more sanitary than dipping my fingers in a jar. Like everyone else has said, it is expensive but one bottle will last forever!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2006 7:03:00 PM More reviews by fashion_939

Can I tell you how much I HATED this? Wow. One of two Aveda products I have strongly disliked. It feels weird on, I can't even describe the feeling, like hydrated by very very dry at the same time. The packaging pump is also horrible.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2006 8:21:00 PM More reviews by oohbarracuda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'd own more Aveda fan they weren't so damn expensive! I use this daily and it's definitely refreshing. 1 pump is enough - also to preserve it since it comes in a small bottle. Smells so good - one of the reasons I'm loyal to it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2006 3:22:00 AM More reviews by botoxic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

EDIT 7/21/08 After using it all up, a few years later I won another bottle from an Aveda store raffle, along with a bunch of other products. Now, some three years after my original review, this lotion works like a dream for me, evens my complexion, hides my pores, smooths my wrinkles, and doesn't break me out. Get older, the product works. Go figure.

I was so happy to finally use this stuff up. I couldn't toss it for what I'd paid for it. I bought it because I know I need to wear a sunscreen, and this seemed like a moisturizer as well--so double duty, there. Two pumpfulls cover face and neck, it is SPF 15, but a chemical SPF and not particularly broad-spectrum, to boot. It has a nice scent, stings a bit upon application (essential oils? sunscreen? magical tourmaline?), but the stinging soon fades.

For the first few weeks I wore it, it definitely made my eyes red and watery, plus my skin broke out. However, after stashing it through the summer, I found it worked fine for winter months without causing a breakout. Like any sunscreen, I can't get it anywhere near my eyes.

This stuff will make your skin look shiny, and as I'm not a foundation/powder type of girl, there's no remedy for this. I was delighted to finally be rid of it, though it took months to use it up. I like to think at least I prevented some sun damage. YMMV, of course.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2005 1:44:00 PM More reviews by lisee_chiang

I purchased this product after using the Botanical Kinetic Lotion from Aveda because it made me break out like crazy. Thinking this will be better, I tried Tourmaline charged Protecting Lotion, my face went berzerk again! Lots of breakouts on my chin with tiny bumps all over my forehead. It also claimed to be oil-free but I begin to doubt it if the product just claim it to market well? I wanted to like Aveda's product so badly but I had to discontinue using it. What a shame. I love the smell and the feel of the lotion but my skin just worse everytime I put it on.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2005 1:01:00 PM More reviews by four_quartets

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree that this isn't very exciting but it is the ONLY moisturizer with SPF that does not cause breakouts in my otherwise pretty normal if slightly dry skin.

I don't in general like Aveda face and body care, though I've been using the haircare products since the late 1980s. I tried this at the suggestion of my hairdresser four or five years ago. I've also spent those years wishing the SPF factor were higher and trying various moisturizers and sunblocks with higher SPF (L'Oreal, Shiseido, Peter Thomas Roth, Khiel's, Insitut Esthederm, I could go on and on). I always come back to this. Yes, it's expensive but a little bit goes a long way (one full pump is too much for my small face) and a single bottle lasts me more than six months of daily usage.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2005 12:59:00 AM More reviews by brown_cat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this was just "eh" for me. it was hella expensive, and really doesn't do anything special. but then again, it's not completely horrid. it didn't make me break out, it doesn't leave my face oily, and it doesn't smell bad. i don't really know WHAT i was expecting from this product, but what i DO know is that i'm going back to my trusty olay complete. for a 1/4 of the price i get a product that is just as good - if not better than this. bye bye aveda.