October 2, 2014 | 1028 users online

Fragrances - Anne Pliska

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by JIL4

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

oh, this is good! There's sweet orange & vanilla in the opening, but also something deep & smokey in there, cool & yet warm. There's a hint of spice & then a salty sweetness, & it does remind me of Shalimar. The heart is creamy & smooth, with a raw, resinous amber weaving in & out, & the drydown is a powdery, cookie-like vanilla. Sillage & longevity are good. l think this is one of the few ambers that would work well at any time of the day or year & in any situation. lt's gorgeous, comforting & sexy, but never in-your-face, & it's the one l'd turn to when l want to smell good without being too obvious.

I go thru 3-4 bottles a year so I love Anne Pliska, for a better buy try

"Thefragrancefactory" they are cheeper then anybody on this great fragrance.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2010 9:27:00 AM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

(This review is for the parfum) I like this fragrance, but I'm not sure if I'm in love. It smells very strong and ambery in the bottle. When first applied to my skin it smelled like birch beer, which was interesting. Then it morphed into a gorgeous, rich, spicy amber...then fifteen minutes later it smelled very masculine. I wish there was some way to prolong the middle stage! I can see how on some people this might be their HG amber, and it is sexy and reasonably priced.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 9:12:00 AM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I immediately loved this. It is a nice ambery vanilla comfort scent. Loved by my husband and even my teenagers. A winner all around. I agree it is perhaps more a winter fragrance, but nonetheless I've been wearing it in sweltering 90 degree humid weather all week and it still smells great. Will definitely plan on purchasing a full bottle. Update: purchased the full bottle in pure parfum form from Luckyscent. Several words of caution: 1) I think the standard samples they sell are edp. The parfum is much stronger and can be cloying. Next time I will order the edp. 2) The perfume is not the hot pink color shown in the bottle picture. It is more a murky color that looks as if someone tried to combine hot pink with amber. To me it just looks wrong. They should have gone one way or the other. Still not a bad scent but I recommend the edp over the parfum.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2010 3:10:00 AM More reviews by bluenote

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Definitely a winter fragrance. It's much stronger than it seems - and it smells like trees. Not leafy trees, but like old alpen yules twisting and perhaps even smoking.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by blr360

I absolutely adored the opening of this fragrance. I felt like I was transported to a spa for a few minutes. Then suddently the powder appeared, and more and more powder and stong musky/amber. Unforrtunately, it smells a little too old for my tastes. Too bad though - the opening was quite energizing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2009 3:22:00 AM More reviews by fpih

This smells like amber and oranges to me. Unfortunately, there is also a note in the background that stays forever (could it be the geranium?) and it doesn't appeal to me. The lasting power is awesome, the sillage great and the price amazing for a niche fragrance. I like amber scents, so I like this one as well, just not enough to buy a full bottle of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2009 6:59:00 PM More reviews by jodstr2

I love this scent and am disappointed that it's not easy to find anymore. my uncle gave me a teeny sample bottle from Nordstrom back in 1989 and I still love it. it reminds me of baby powder, vanilla, and oranges.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2008 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Jenavira

There is a constant descripton of Anne Pliska being hot/cold. I believe it has finally occurred to me why this scent has such a smooth intense introduction. The scent begins with the aroma of the rind of citrus fruit that has no tang of the flesh beneath the rind being included in the beginnig, but rather the intense bitter sweetness of the rind that has been further enhanced by the touch of aldehydes, this is not the sparkling diamond aldehydes of Chanel 5 or the citrus clean aldehydes of Dolce and Gabbana Sicily, but rather these are dark pungent aldehydes that creates a scent that glimmers between black and gold, bringing out the scent of the broken peel of an orange that is about to turn. This strange almost gothic effect is enhanced by the scent of intensely sweet almost animalic jasmine that almost hits the cusp of becoming indolic except that the great balancer of geranium has been added which gives the jasmine a strange coca-cola spice scent. This is all layered over a base of deeply smooth amber which has been enhanced with a vanilla that is seems very similar to my nose of Mexican Vanilla with its wonderful spicy quality, a bit of wood from the patchouli. Over all the scent of of Anne Pliska is that of contrasts, it takes the concept of citrus and instead of playing on the concept of something that is fresh and zesty it insteads brings out the the beautiful rind and makes it seem intense sweet and dark. Further enhancing this sweet darkness is the scent of night touched heady jasmine. And topping it all off is the very prominent and gorgeous amber that does not play on the concept of it being a warm bakery like note that it is so oftened used in perfume for, but rather it plays on the history of amber as something that would travel far from cold regions in the ancient world to the ancient opulent warmth of the Roman empire where it was a prized jewel. The image that comes to my mind of Anne Pliska is of a large polished piece of golden polished piece of amber on a the most dark and velvety of furs by firelight, a trade between a sophisticated and chic merchant of Rome and a wild Northerner. The ultimate irony that the wild Northerner has something of great luxury and finesse that could only come from a place far from the sophistication of the Roman Empire.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2008 12:58:00 PM More reviews by Codeblue

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

A couple of people have asked me if I'm wearing Obsession when I wear AP. I enjoy this scent but don't find it particularly remarkable. My husband is the one who does backflips when I wear it, so when I feel frisky enough to chase the old goat around the couch and into the boudoir, I'll spritz a bit of this on.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2008 7:10:00 AM More reviews by snarkyharper

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Starts off sweet but dry with lots of orange, then warms up with amber and vanilla. I see where the 'baby aspirin' comments come from, but the amber and vanilla take care of that quickly, on me. I don't get the 'chilly' mentioned in some of the older reviews. A great oriental that lasts and lasts, until showered off. Great sillage, too. I get sultry, ambered-up orange throughout the drydown, making this somewhat linear once developed. It does have a lot in common with Shalimar, but I actually prefer AP as I prefer the orangey top to the lemon/bergamoty one. It also reminds me a of a more wearable, more feminine Amber Sultan.
Hate the bottles, so cheap and ugly, but love the juice.
I have the edp and parfum, and will replace both when they are gone. A rich, pretty and dependable standby.