July 29, 2014 | 1954 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Protein Base Coat

rated 2 of 5 on 8/4/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Seeingblue

Ok, so I may not be the best person to review this. I don't do my nails often, and I usually just swipe on a nail color - no base or top coat - I like things short, sweet and easy when it comes to doing my nails. I bought this base coat to wear under Essie's Naughty Nautical to avoid green stains on my nails. Without the base coat, this polish goes on smoothly and is super easy to apply, it's a pleasure to use ...but WITH the base coat, application is a lot more difficult, it applies streaky and it sort of skips the way liquid liners do sometimes. I haven't tested for wear time but it keeps stains to a minimum although I still get some stains. This base applies easily but overall I dislike it it - I've used it a few times now and it just makes doing my nails really annoying and my nails turn out better when I don't use it. So for a casual nail polish wearer, I'd say skip this one. It might be great for those who do their nails often and are more experienced.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2013 8:34:00 AM More reviews by Ahti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This base coat destroyed my nails, totally.

When I put this on as a base coat, my nail polish just crackles away, and later on I learned that protein in nail polish works by dehydrating the nail, thus making it stronger.

For some people it will make the nails too dehydrated, and make the polish last less.

This also stained my nails, after a months use I had yellow nails, and I never have stained nails.

I am back to using a regular clear polish from Sante as a base coat, and my nails are better now, and my manicure lasts much longer than with this.

Formadelhyde in nail strengtheners works the same way as protein, by dehydrating the nail.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by hgpt2

Its a great product. I never used a base coat previously but now after reading that not all nail polishes are "3 free" I was looking for a good top coat. My nails are not brittle or weak. They are just normal healthy nails. So I just needed something that would help my nail polishes last longer. I didn't notice any chipping until the 3rd day, which is good enough for me since I paint my nails every week! So this is a new HG product for me. Its a little expensive but hey, if it works I don't mind spending the money!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/4/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by chrissystyles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Bought this as a healthier alternative to Quimica Alemana. After about a month of use, my nails are constantly splitting and chipping. I don't think this is any more effective than a clear coat.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/26/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by katyren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So luckily I bought this for about 2 or I would be annoyed that I had wasted my money. Having read the good reviews I thought I would give it a try but this product is not for me. My nails aren't that weak (thanks to mavala scientifique) but they are dry and peely etc... application was fine and my mani lasted for 4 days which for me is good, my nails also felt really strong whilst my mani was still intact. On the 5th day it started to chip a little and i noticed that under all that nail polish my nails seemed weaker, when I took it off my nails were really dry and the peeling was worse than ever, I had to file them right down and one actually broke....so all in all not for me! As I've only used it once I feel that I should give it one more try but not really sure its worth it......

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by apaolone04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this product. And i don't love it for its strengthening, but i believe it really made my nails grow , and it makes sense because it says protein on it, my nails are a bit stronger but I'm mostly a fan on how good this stuff I'd for my nails :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by gabriellavascocastro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

OK! This is my HOLY GRAIL nail product. It's just ridiculous that I like it so much when I wasn't expecting a miracle like others have stated. So, my nails peel and chip and break are stained and are just in bad shape: enter this polish. So my nails are not INVINCIBLE now, they still peel sometimes, not so often, not so completely huge like they were.
First of all, it's a creamy off white shade, it feels like it fills my ridges and looks like it even slightly helps to bring a slight more opaqueness to shades I use on top. I think this aspect has made my nails stop staining to an orange type shade. Secondly, my nail polishes last so much longer on my nails! Which is weird because I thought it might do the opposite and I was prepared for this because I just wanted to help my nails regardless of the lasting power of the polish. My nails are now in much better shape! I love it, WILL repurchase and recommend it to EVERYONE!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2012 9:08:00 PM More reviews by uponbluemoon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after being dissatisfied with OPI base coat. My nails were brittle and peely and driving me crazy. This definitely helped making them stronger and less prone to peels. However, after just 3 months, the formula's gotten so goopy that I had trouble using it on my nails. Wont be purchasing another one.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/11/2011 4:04:00 PM More reviews by neverunpolished

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My favorite thing about this base coat is that it dries quickly. My polish wears for a reasonable amount of time with it on, and I don't have to wait forever for my base coat to dry (anyone else hate that?). However, I really don't think it's done anything for my nail strength except keep it from getting worse, so I'll look elsewhere for a solution to my peelies.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2011 6:49:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

I am enjoying this base coat. It applies evenly in a very thin layer and dries very fast which really helps the overall drying time of my mani. I did notice that the polish lasts at least a day longer with this base coat. It also seems to have made my nails slightly stronger but it is a bit early to say for sure. The only thing I don't like is that on its own it doesn't have any shine but is very matte. Not a big deal but if you want it just for a neater natural look, keep that in mind. The price is also a con but if I am just as impressed by the end of the bottle, I would buy again...