September 16, 2014 | 1837 users online

Fragrances - Yvonne LaFleur

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2006 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Clearing

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Feminine in totality. This is one of the few (the very few) of my perfumes my husband can NOT wear, though he would give it a shot if I encouraged him. You must love powdery scents to appreciate this one. You must love flowers too and a little bit of spice and warm vanilla. It's a nice alternative to some of my other sharper, and more crisply green, florals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2005 12:39:00 PM More reviews by clb97p

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm so glad I finally tried this fragrance. It's gorgeous. I agree that it is in the same family with Shalimar, Angelique Encens and possible a few Chanels, but it's more like a distant cousin than a sister or daughter. Yvonne LaFleur manages to be sophisticated and classy, but still a bit spunky. It is *not* a foody scent whatsoever, but a bit of the spices mixed with the vanilla do border on the gourmand side. I wish I knew the notes, because I'm terrible at trying to identify them on my own.

This scent envelopes you, and while it has good sillage and lasting power, it's subtle enough to be considered a skin scent on the drydown. I think it's ideal for colder weather, and for wearing to bed. Yvonne LaFleur is nostalgic yet modern, familiar but quite new. Imagine a combination of (or more like collaboration between) Susanne Lang Cashmere and Shalimar Light--add a bit of oppoponax, maybe just a touch of aldehydes. Aaaah. Beautiful. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2005 7:37:00 PM More reviews by staci23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm so happy I was encouraged to try this fragrance. I have truly fallen in love with it. All of the descriptions below are so accurate. I too find this similar to Shalimar except the spiciness is ever so soft and toned down. The top notes are a burst of slightly green citrusy notes but it quickly morphs into the most comforting soft and warm scent. Extremely feminine but not too girly and frou frou, there is an elegance about this scent. It belongs on a confident woman with an aura of mystery and impeccable taste.

I find the lasting power to be approximately 6-7 hours. It lingers ever so slightly on your skin during the day and is the fragrance equivalent of a warm embrace. I would say it falls somewhere in between staying close to your skin to medium sillage. It's not at all overpowering. Perfect to wear during the day or to bed. My bottle arrived beautifully giftwrapped and there is the added bonus that it's affordable at $37.50 for 2 oz.

This is everything I want a frangrance to be. It just feels right.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2005 1:33:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh how I love this beauty. I have been milking the tiniest amount of it for ages and I finally broke down and purchased a full botttle of the EDP.It is even better sprayed. This is a lovely very feminine soft fragrance that echos back to the classics but is in no way at all "old lady" or whatever term people slur classic fragrances with. There are no aldehydes at all, it is just gorgeous. I recently spoke to Ms. LaFleur, who is a New Orleans fashion designer, and she told me that many of her customers are former shalimar wearers. I can completely see the similarity in these two fragrances however this stands completely on it's own. This one has a very subtle greeness to it that gives a more modern, fresher take on the shalimar theme but make no mistake about it this is soft and warm and just so blankety. I am in love. Ms Lafleur mentioned that the notes in her fragrance are: Italian Bergamot, ylang ylang, lavendar, rose, violet, vanilla. They are not listed on her website. I am not picking up any lavendar thankfully and this is by no means a rose/violet frag. The rose is not dominent at all. If I had to sum this up I would say it is a soft, powdery vanillic frag with a tad of green to it and a little undefineable spice. Simply gorgeous. Her fragrance can be purchased at: http://www.yvonnelafleur.com/ She is accepting web orders despite being closed at this time due to Hurricane Katrina. If you like soft, comforting feminine fragrances I suggest you give this one a try. She also features a line of bath and body products to compliment the perfume. I don't think you will be disappointed! Edited: I really wanted to say that I do see the comparisons to Creeds AE but to me AE is dusty, moody and incensey and YLF has none of these qualities on my skin. There is absoutely no incense in this and it is lighter and much more feminine. I can see a man wearing AE, I cannot see a man coming anywhere near YLF.If I personally was wanting some AE this would not be a substitute for me. I own both of these perfumes and to me they are completely different in feeling on me. Also, I do not like shalimar at all, it is almost unpleasant on me and I really love this perfume despite the comparisons between the two. Just adding info and thoughts on this as they occurr to me. Of course this is all subjective and I'm sure every person who smells this will pick up on something different.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2002 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Mayra

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The second I dabbed it on my skin it hit me with a strong floral and very powdery accord that made me think perhaps I would not like it at all. But in less than a minute I had vivid memories of smelling my grandma's hair (she wore a long salt and pepper braid that she would tie in a bun. I hardly ever saw her with her hair down) and those rose and violet scented dusting powders with the huge fluffly puffs she used to love and always enjoyed receiving for mother's day, holidays (she loved soaps and EDC's too, especially Lavender). Sometimes we would arrive at her door for a visit when she had just stepped out of her shower and she still had a little dampness on her neck and the powder was just sitting there...white scented cast...very distinctive...something that might repel me on any other person but on her it was just magical. I wanted to dig my noise in it and get the tip of my nose tinged in the white..in her scent. the minute I kissed her and hugged her the scent of the talc would get on me...at least for a little bit anyway.Those days are long gone. My grandma is no longer with us but this scent awoke all those old memories..just like that. Its a mother's hug, a cold night on a warm bed under a fluffy down comforter and lots of pillows, flannel pajamas, my mother's hugs, getign tucked in like a mummy by dad. :-) There is just something truly comforting about this scent. I am not saying by any means that this is an older lady's fragrance. Just that its cozy and feminine and old fashioned but in a good way. Powdery, floral..roses and violets and a bit of something else I am still trying to define. I will repeat testings and update my review but so far I like it for what it reminds me of..family and comforts of home and sleep and love.I'm not sure if I was at LaFleur's boutique that I would go for a bottle of this but its nice to be reminded of the ultimate power of the human olfatory system, of scents..of memory. Brilliant stuff. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2002 12:29:00 AM More reviews by sweetpea2392

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There are three fragrances I will never be without, and this is one of them. New Orleans fashion designer Yvonne LaFleur's signature scent is a lovely, subdued floral-oriental. It opens with a bright burst of bergamot, ylang ylang, and something mossy, although I don't suppose oakmoss itself can be a top note. (It somehow makes me think of fresh crisp celery.) The floral heart definitely has rose and violet; perhaps mimosa? a touch of spice? I don't know; the website does not list notes, but that's what I smell. Vanilla and sandalwood provide the base, and it all combines to produce a deliciously warm, nuzzle-inducing drydown. Especially pleasant to sleep in. YLF has been compared with Shalimar and Cadolle #9, and they do bear some similarity, but YLF is much lighter and greener than Shalimar and less vanillic than Cadolle. This is a sophisticated, elegant fragrance. Not "old-ladyish" but certainly would not appeal to Miss Thang and the Demeter Peanut Butter crowd. The edp is exquisite and does not differ significantly from the parfum, except perhaps in lasting power. A full range of bath/body products is also available in this scent, a lamentably rare thing these days (are you listening, Caron?). The dusting powder is particularly wonderful; it's tinted the very palest shade of mauve and comes in a gorgeous faux-vintage glass jar with a silver shaker top and deluxe puff. Highly recommended. Website www.yvonnelafleur.com/