April 20, 2014 | 1982 users online

Treatments - Silica

rated 2 of 5 on 4/14/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Cutie007

Silica works well if someone is deficient in that mineral but other than that, it doesn't do much to increase hair growth.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 12:04:00 AM More reviews by wagashi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started taking Flora vegetal silica supplements purchased on a well-known health product site about a month and a half ago, and although I'm not very observant as far as my hair goes and can't comment on that (maybe once it's grown out a bit?), I literally cannot believe that my nails haven't split or broken in the month that I've been taking it. I usually can't grow my nails very far past the wick without it breaking on one side or the other or flaking, but I now have actual white tips on my nails with no signs of breaking. They feel much harder and thicker as well. I wasn't expecting too much from silica (although I had hopes it work work well for me!) but I'm very impressed so far. I will update this review with more once I get an idea of how much this has helped my skin/hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by dibo

I have been using bamboo silica capsules for 5 months for my hair that was shedding. My hair has thickened up, is not shedding anymore, is growing faster and is shiny. I also noticed that my nails are growing quickly as well. I would recommend this product, I buy organic from a vitamin or health food store. I started off taking the recomended 4 caps a day for 2 months and now I just take 2 caps 4-5 times a week...Cheers...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by libertinexox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff. I have never been able to have long nails before. Growing up I never had to cut my nails because they were so bendy and soft I could just peel off the ends. The have been a bit stronger in the last few years but I still couldn't grow them very long at all.

I take it straight on a spoon and have no problem with the taste like some other people.. it tastes like nothing and I kinda like the weird texture.

After taking this every day for around a month or two I noticed that my nails were incredibly strong and long, they've never been like this before. It's funny, I was puzzled for a few days before I even remembered I was taking silica because I take quite a few supplements and forgot I was taking it. I take a tablespoon of the Hubner brand every day and I'm reveling in having the long nails I could never have before. I remember trying fake nails and they would always fall off and make my nails underneath look horrible, this is so much better! I can't wait to see how it's affecting my hair once more of it grows out.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2012 9:07:00 PM More reviews by Sabzzluvzzmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been taking bamboo silica capsules for about a year now. I have fine hair that has always grown incredibly slow and was so weak, dull. My nails were brittel. I also suffered from acne since early teens. I am really so amazed with this I can seriously not live without this. My hair has been growing I would say 50% faster and so strong, shiny. My nails need to be cut about every 3-4 days now as I have small children I dont want my nails long, anyways, I would have to say the thing I can notice the most is my skin let me tell you! I rarely experience breakout now, my skin is dewy an glowing I can feel the difference like crazy I also read it is great for so many other things in maintaining good health. Take my word for it this stuff is great my mom has been taking and says the same thing as do a few of my friends and my hairdresser. It takes a couple months of taking this to see the real difference and I would recommend buy bamboo not horsetail becasue horstail is 5-7% silica and bamboo is 70% so you can see why its better I was taking horstail for the 1st couple months and switched to bamboo and bamboo is so much better, anyways goodluck!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I purchased the qsilica brand of tablets 4 months ago and have taken two a day religiously since...My skin is acne prone and unfortunately this didn't help clear it up...However it didn't break me out either, so that's a plus.
This product did do wonders for my hair, lashes and nails.
Firstly, my hair looked so much healthier...I dyed it blond last year from black and then back again and it was in a dreadful condition-dry, dull, brittle...Within a month of taking these my hair was shiny and growing at a healthy rate (Note, the hair on the ends are weak and brittle, but the new hair growing is thick and glossy looking, which I can only put down to this).
Also, my lashes were short after a few years of continual artificial eyelash extensions (the glue to apply eyelash extensions rip out your lashes). However, since taking these my lashes look much longer and thicker.

Lastly, my nails, which are weak and peeling after 4 years of continual artificial nail application seem very strong and growing without peeling, so much so that I no longer need artificial nails (I hate short nails).

Honestly, I was skeptical at first, but I really think this helps. My sister actually asked if I had had botox because my skin looked "tight" (good tight!) I won't repurchase for a while because I am trying to get my acne sorted so I don't want to use this while on antibiotics. But as soon as that has cleared then I will certainly repurchase:)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I've been taking Silica supplements in the form of tablet by a brand called Microgenics Advanced Silica Complex with Grapeseed. I was told this would be great for skin, hair and nails. I was told by professional that I would see improvements in my skin and hair with long term use of this supplements and not to give up after 1 month, soo I did continue use and I did so for almost 2 months, and I couldn't continue any further then that.
These are my results:
1. The first week of use was horrific! But that was my own fault. I didn't read the label on the packaging properly, I thought it was take one tablet daily in the morning. The packaging actually said "take once daily, with food". In the morning I usually don't eat breakfast, after taking this in the morning I was feeling really, really sick I had symptoms of vomiting, nausea etc mimicking what I believe to be morning sickness, and it really gave my partner false hopes because he thought maybe we got lucky. I on the other thought there is no way it could be morning sickness, my cycle just ended at exactly the same time that I started taking Silica supplements, even if we did got lucky, morning sick would not have started that soon. After I went back and had a closer inspection of the direction to use, I change my regime, I now take it once at night before bed after dinner, and the symptoms went away, and it was heartbreaking to see those symptoms go away, cause we were hoping it might be something else/ or a little someone else rather then the Silica.

2. Dehydration! OMG I was drinking like a cow all day long. I never use to do that. I could be unconsciously drinking anywhere between 250ml-300ml of water each time and not realise it till I saw the bottle, and this was constant throughout the day. My mouth is always dry, I couldn't wear my retainers for my teeth at night anymore because my mouth is always dry. I'm always going bathroom breaks, and even at night the drinking and the bathroom, it really disturbs the person next to me. I felt like a water addict.

Outcome:
Nothing, I later did research and found out, a lot of the food I ate daily had silica in it anyways, it was really pointless to take silica tablets for me. I also later found out that women who was pregnant or breastfeeding should not take silica supplements anyways. Though I'm not in either of these categories, I really don't want any unnecessary factors ruining my chances, and that was the reason why I cease use immediately after I realise it didn't do much for me.

My partner begged me not to take these supplements after 3 weeks of use, but I persisted for almost 2 months. Eventually I had to face the fact that my overall health is the same before, during and now after the silica. The only changes that it caused, and that was noticeable was the ballooning of my stomach with all the water.
I'm not sure whether this is caused by the brand that I using, the actual ingredients, or some other factor, but I definitely wont be trying any other silica supplements anytime soon.

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2011 3:22:00 PM More reviews by nodown

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent supplement for hair/skin/nails that can be an alternative for those who can't tolerate biotin. I've found biotin tends to break me out like crazy, but silica has no negative effects for me (YMMV, of course).

Benefits: clearer, smoother, brighter skin that looks like it's been air-brushed. Thicker, glossier hair that feels livelier and 'springier', if that makes any sense. Hair and nails grow much faster than usual and feel stronger.

I've found no great differences among the major brands (Jarrow, Hubner, etc.). Just go for the one that is best in terms of cost (always check dosage amounts before purchasing since sometimes the cost per dose might be higher for a lower-priced product).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2011 3:11:00 AM More reviews by babyd3vil18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

i wish wish wish this product had worked for me... but, after trying both the hubner silicea and Biosil, both terribly constipated me.. no matter how much water i drank, no matter how much fiber i ate, or how much i exercised. my bowels would not move and it was the most painful thing in the world. i have read that silica can polymerize in the intestines and this is what causes constipation. why in world it happens to me, i have no clue. i never get constipated otherwise.. i hope my review helps others out there who may have a sensitive stomach or are concerned about side effects of these supplements.

with the hubner silica, i noticed an immediate change in my skin. within 2 days, it looked brighter, smoother, hydrated, i swear just like the airbrushed skin you see on models in the magazine. however, by the 3rd day of taking it, i could not have a bowel movement (sorry!). i took it back to the health store with pain my stomach, and fortunately they gave me a refund. i could not continue with it long enough to see results in my hair or nails...

i recently tried biosil and im going to say that this isnt as side-effect free as they claim. im only 20 years old but whenever i took this i felt like my heart would race and that i would need to sort of expand my lungs to be able to breathe better. and, it too, constipated me. it was so bad that i couldn't sleep at night because i felt so "stuffed." ugh, im sorry, i know its gross.

i didnt want to take the biosil back to the store, because im sort of embarrased theyre going to think that im always tying to return stuff. so its sitting in my cabinet. ive only probably used less than 30 drops. if some one would like to swap with me, id be more than happy to. the bottle is fresh and practically unused.

im extremely upset that i could not take silica like everyone else could. i dont know what the hell is wrong with me and why they both gave me such a bad reaction. perhaps i need a different one? there is another brand i am considering, it is pure mirco silica particles in water. but i am going poor trying all these products that promise results but end up with giving me side effects and taking my money :(

i hope that my review helps someone out there. im still losing hair fast, and terribly upset because i dont know what to do. i used these supplements in hope that they would help, but i guess there is no miracle for hair growth.

please be careful when trying these supplements -- especially the biosil. i bought it based on the glowing reviews i read, but honestly, now i feel like 90% of them were probably paid to do it, or work for the company.

however, if u decide to try them, i wish u the best of luck and hope they work for you. if someone would like the Biosil please contact me and let me know. <3

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by joannas20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I decided to go and buy some Silica after I read the amazing reviews on here. I have had major issues with trying to grow hair after a birth control I was on caused major hair loss. I have to start out by saying that I am not only using silica but am taking biotin capsules at the same time. So some of the hair growth effects could be from the biotin.

One thing that I did notice with the silica is that it greatly improved my skin. I have super oily, acne prone skin. After taking this stuff my skin has cleared up perfectly and my large pores have shrunk a considerable amount. I'm not getting overly oily during the day and in fact i've had so many people comment on how great my skin looks.

My nails have always been incredibly strong so I can't confirm if I see a difference there.

My hair hasn't gotten any longer but then again I have only been taking it for three weeks. I will continue to take the silica for another few months to get full results. One thing i did notice is that some of my brow hairs are poking through again and my lashs have gotten really long. Unfortunately I can't say if this is the silica or biotin.

Just so everyone knows, I take the Hubner's silicea gel. I mix it with water and drink away. It has a gross texture but no taste. So I can deal.

I highly recommend this to anyone with really oily skin as it has helped me so much. My goal is to take this all the way till the end of Dec. I will report back once those 4 months are up.