November 28, 2014 | 925 users online

Palettes - Chantecaille - Bengali Palette

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2010 9:37:00 AM More reviews by DelicateBallerina

This is a limited edition, so I would not repurchase because I like change. I can't say any more then the other reviewers. Their comments are very correct, but I really don't like how close the face powder and blush pots are placed. They should have that in a different palette.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2010 12:19:00 PM More reviews by tulipflower

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my very first palette purchase of Chantecaille makeup. My very first taste of Chantecaille makeup was their lipgloss I purchased almost ten years ago, it is in a compact with a mirror and I ended up returning it due to the off scent and taste.
This is perfect for fall and winter season with soft and intense colours. There is four shades of shadow, one powder blush and one powder highlighter. I have read the other two reviews here and I can't compare it to any other palettes becuase it's my first palette purchase and never have purchased their makeup before.

Eye Shadow: Beautiful!!! Four shades, two are light and two are dark. All four can be worn at once or you can create your own mix of colours. The green shade is dark and goes on sheer, same for the dark brown, but the colours can go on stronger when layering on some more. But I have a few words to describe the dark brown. On Chantecaille website, it indicates dark brown, but when you look at it, it looks purple, but when applied on sheer, it is a dark sheer shade of purple (like eggplant colour) but when you apply on more, it looks more brown (with no red tone to it). Both of the two dark colours are absolutely amazing when you use a wet liner brush and wet the powder and line your eyes. The intensity of the colour when wet gives a different shade and very strong pigmentation. The staying power was better then what I have expected, but I am reviewing this in the winter, when it is not hot and sweating, is not happening right now. If I do any outdoor sports in the winter, I will wear this and update my review on the staying power of using powder shadow as eyeliner. Then there is the peachy, gold tone shadow that goes on very sheer and has a very nice shimmer but it wearable during the day and at the office. If you add more of the colour, it would be a great intense shimmer for the evening. Next is this very, very pale shade of purple with an undertone of grey in it. This powder goes on very sheer, has shimmer, but very wearable during the day. I find that it goes on more as a silver shade, but very blendable and works with the other colours. Also, I have to add and this is very important to me, the shadow did not melt and smear as quickly as Chanel and Cle de Peau eye shadow.

Blush: The colour is peachy pink and goes on nice and sheer. It blends very well. The size of the round circle of the blush is too small for a normal size blush brush.

Highlighter: This is in a powder form and goes on very sheer. Perfect to help you get a more luminous look. You could use this anywhere on skin and I really enjoyed wearing it, but I find that my skin is a bit dry and it seems to show lines on my face that I never realized I had! It can look a bit aging, but I did apply a lot on my face for the New Year celebration and I'm sure that did not help the look I was trying to achieve. I think I would prefer a liquid or cream version to be used as a highlighter. I may come back to update my review here in the summer if I still have any left. The colour is a very pale peach and I think it is the gold shimmer that give it a peach look on the compact mixed with pale beige.

Packaging: The palette is in an elegant gold compact, slim, with a very nice large mirror inside. Here are some negative comments though. The green eye shadow it too close to the blush and some of the blush can go onto the green shadow or vise versa. Same for the highlighter with the eggplant shadow. The shape of the palette is almost square and very large. I don't like to carry this palette with me for touch ups, because of it's size.

Brushes: One shadow brush and one face brush in mini size. Not ideal for application but very convenient for touch up. The face powder is certainly perfect for the size of the blush and highlighter circle compact.

I think the price is extremely reasonable and I would not repurchase this again because I don't like to repeat the colours too much, but I highly recommend this palette and would repurchase if there weren't anything else that could match the quality.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2009 10:50:00 AM More reviews by northender

This is Chantecaille winter/holiday offering for 2008, and includes four eyeshadows, a blush, and a highlighter. It retailed for $117, but some companies discounted it to $95 and $79 respectively, presumably because of the global economic meltdown preceding its launch. I bought mine used 1x by a remorseful buyer at a substantial discount.

We all know Chantecaille powder products are the business (sheer but buildable, powder to cream finish, longlasting, not chalky, very finely milled, "expensive" looking shimmer etc), so - straight to the colors.

The four eye shadows, all with subtle shimmer, are gold, eggplanty purple brown, oatmeally silvery taupe, and a fierce, jewel-toned emeraldly green. Chantecaille's colors are genius because they are so complex and the same shadow can look totally different depending on how sheerly or how densely you apply it or whether you layer the darker colors with the lighter ones. For example, the eggplanty-purply-brown color (which is extremely similar to the darker e/s shade in Tango In Argentina) can look brown if you pack it on but it can also look purple when you blend it with the gold. So, even though you get "only" four colors, you really can mix and blend them to get so many more. This is a true "palette", folks. Using the gold on the lid and the green to line and contour actually gives a fierce, feline look that makes me feel like I should be in a David Yurman jewelry ad.

The blush is a neutral-to warm peachy pink that is peachier powder version of the cream blush from Tango and the highlighter is an oatmeally color. Both are extremely pretty and versatile and I suspect they'd work on a range of skintones. I also think that either could be used as eye makeup too.

Case is gorgeous, blah blah blah, packaging is elegant and luxe. The brushes, however, are completely useless and a waste of space. I wish they'd just added the cool brush from the Tango palette - it looks so random but you cam apply and contour with it and use it for highlighter whereas the Benagl brush is a one-trick pony - can't really contour with with them and I don't know who can apply blush with that ridiculously small blush brush without looking like a clown.

So basically, what we have here is Tango, plus a taupe and green plus a highlighter. So if you have Tango, you don't really *need *this; I do have Tango, and it is literally my favorite palette ever, so this one is great to have too, especially because of the phenomenal green shade and because the powder blush will last longer than the cream blush. For that reason, I swapped away my backup Tango.

This palette looks like it might only work for warms and darker gals, but I suggest you give it a try. Chantecaille palettes and colors are surprisingly versatile - I thought there was no way in hell Kyoto would work on my golden fabulosity, but it looked awesome.

Finally, this palette would work awesome as a travel palette because you really go to town on the color combination but I caution against transporting embossed chantecaille stuff - the papillons crumbled on me and I suspect the tigers will as well. On the plus side, when I took my crumbled papillons back to the Chantecaille counters, the SA's cheerfully handed me new replacements but still, hate the waste and don't like taking chances. Especially, since with these prices, who knows how long our beloved Chantecaille will last.

Maybe I do need a backup.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2009 10:58:00 PM More reviews by suzi2qs

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

This palette is amazing. Got it for Christmas from my husband. 5% of the sale price goes to an organization for the preservation of tigers, a worthy cause indeed. The palette contains 4 eyeshadows, a blush and a highlighter. All are finely milled, high quality and last through the day. I am especially happy with this palette as all the colors compliment my skin tone. There is a shimmery neutral eyeshadow that I have been wearing daily. The dark brown eyeshadow works beautifully as a liner. The highlighter looks great alone or over the slightly peachy blush. The compact is elegant, though a little large for a standard makeup bag. I would buy this again, but I think this palette will last a very long time even with daily used. I am impressed. I've never used Chantecaille makeup before and always wondered if I would like it. Based on the items in this palette, I do!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No