October 30, 2014 | 1431 users online

Treatments (Face) - Spearmint Tea for Acne

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2014 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Magicmartins

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

So, I'm going to start this off with the same thing everyone else says: I've never written a review, but...
I just had to do it this time. I moved 5 months ago and from then have just suffered from the most horrendous, persistent hormonal acne I have ever experienced in my life. I knew it was hormonal acne because I would always get these red, huge anthill cysts along my jawline and chin. And these were painful.
So I tried DIM which worked for a bit, then read up on Chaste Tree Berry and tried that. If I could blast Chaste Tree Berry to the furthest reaches of hell, I would. It exacerbated my hormonal acne tenfold. Now I was waking up to about 2-3 new cysts a day, every day. Needless to say, aside from having to go to work, I turned down all social events and activities. I just had to! So I tossed the chaste tree, bought some spearmint tea and licorice root supplements and it's been gravy ever since then. The cysts have stopped (of course, the scarring is still there, but that's better than new, painful cysts everyday), my skin has cleaned itself up and now even my period comes on time and my PMS symptoms have decreased drastically.
Spearmint tea is known to be an anti-androgen, as is licorice root. So if you have hormonal acne and exhibit signs of PCOS, this could very well be the cure you need. Granted, I still get little pimples every now and then, but these are tiny ones that, for the first time, don't even make me blink twice and I only get them when I've eaten poorly and/or am incredibly stressed out.
Drink about 2-3 cups of tea a day and relax.
Acne sucks and that's an understatement, but, to sound hippy-dippy, there is a cure for everyone out there so keep on keeping on!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Smilealot123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is honestly the only thing that will stop my hormonal acne. I have tried creams, washes, things from my doctor, etc. and nothing works as good as cup of spearmint tea a day. It took me about a week to see changes in my skin. Once I stopped the tea, my face started getting hormonal acne again. Also, if you have sore stomach, this stuff works like a charm. It tastes pretty good and is good for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2014 7:08:00 PM More reviews by Careybkr

Note: I haven't tried spearmint tea yet because I have recently started taking Vitex to see if it helps with my hormonal acne (but will update when I do). The main reason is I've been on vitex for about a week and a half now and I don't want to add in anything else until I can determine if vitex is working or not. But, I have been researching spearmint tea and am planning on using it in the future.

There are scientific studies that support its anti-androgen effects and data has shown its capable of reducing free testosterone levels in blood which can help with unwanted hair and acne. My main point of writing this post now is that I've noticed many people complaining about side effects such as being tired and having headaches. Spearmint/peppermint (and all tea in general) can inhibit iron levels! This would cause you to feel much more tired because even a small deficiency can cause symptoms. A way to offset this would be to incorporate more iron rich foods (especially heme iron sources- google a list) and not drink the tea two hours before or after consuming an iron rich meal. Also, vitamin c as shown to help the body absorb more iron.

So, in conclusion I wanted to write this to hopefully help some people who found that it helped with acne but eventually quit because they were experiencing these negative side effects. Try increasing your Iron and it may help!!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Rahine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a super easy cheap way to keep hormones, oil, and acne in check. I try to drink a cup a day. Or at least every couple days.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 1:00:00 AM More reviews by Sarah6587

So I was diagnosed with PCOS just over a year ago. After coming off the pill almost two years ago, my period has been all over the place. I have started drinking two cups of this everyday and I am pretty sure this is the reason why my period has come right on 28 days for the past 4 months now. Some may think it is coincidence but after trying everything from Vitex, to evening primrose oil, apple cider vinegar, to other natural alternatives this was the best thing to have worked for me.

I am from Australia so I have just brought lose leaf spearmint tea from a local health shop and used it with a tea strainer.

As a natural product, you have nothing to lose if you try it. I don't know if it has helped a great deal with hormonal acne- but for period regulation this is a god send.. Hoping it works for you all also!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2014 3:31:00 PM More reviews by xYvettex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been taking the tea for about a week. I just take one big mug(about 3 cups) once a day every other day to start off with. The first thing I noticed was my acne has reduced significantly. I wanted to try it to help with a couple of chin hairs, regulate my period and acne. I haven't been on it that long to see a difference yet on the other two on the list (have my fingers crossed). I first tried the tea without any honey and it made me feel nauseous and sick but adding honey fixed that problem for me. Hope this review helped :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by selenajade

IM LITERALLY FREAKING OUT AS I AM TYPING THIS REVIEW GUYS. THIS STUFF IS A M A Z I N G
so my skin is extremelyyyy oily. it has been since i was 11 and to the point where even with powder im a grease ball within 2 hours. AND I am acne prone, but i eat very healthy (mostly fruits and veggies) and drink lots and lots of water, but im still really oily and get breakouts on my chin and forhead.
I drank 2 cups of some of this tea that my mom bought the other day.
the next day, most of my pimples were healing and i was happy. not sure if that had to do with the tea or not but still. when i got home from school that day i only had a little oil on my forehead, i was SHOCKED. usually all of my face is shiny and makeup is sliding around but this was amazing. :) i have been consistantly drinking the same tea for about a week now and my pores have gotten a bit smaller and my oil production has decreased dramatically. i am so impressed and i no longer get as bad of breakout around that time of the month;)

WE LOVE YOU TEA <3

btw it was green tea with mint and spearmint in it so that's what i drink (ive also heard good things about green tea too)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2012 11:55:00 PM More reviews by delmyee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I drink spearmint tea daily, along with plenty of water. I drink it do to
hairy face by nature, I have always had facial hair, but not until
two years ago did it get so bad that i almost gave up. I am not that type,
so I went on the hunt, I must say I did have problems with headaches
from the tea at first, now it has reduced. I have seen a dramatic
difference in the facial hair, and I also take B6 to help. The only
time I see hair like before is when my cycle is about to come.
ONCE a month vs. every freakin day. I usually sip on two cups
throughout the day, my cycles have not changed, the tea has
helped, I would say 78% with my face. Also it took about 3 weeks
for me to see results, and that is drinking everyday.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

I tried this because I went on and then off of prednisone and the steroid messed up my hormones and caused hormonal acne. I tried drinking two to three strong cups a day. I think it may have helped the acne but it also made me feel really sick. Nauseous and intestinal issues as well as feeling really fatigued. So sick that as bad as I wanted my acne gone I stopped drinking it. I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 because i think it did something and maybe in some people in smalller doses it could be effective but I urge you to be careful when using this. It sounds like the most harmless thing in the world, but if you are drinking more than one strong cup of this a day it could potentially make you feel really, really awful. If you are trying to balance your hormones with it because of health issues I recommend doing it under a doctor's guidance.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by MichT2013

I was told that drinking spearmint tea helped women (who were going through menopause or after having a hysterectomy) by reducing the amount of androgen/testosterone your body makes. Thus it helps reduce symptoms caused by too much androgen/testosterone such as: Facial hair growth, vaginal dryness, joint aches, etc. I am surprised that it is recommended to women who are still having menstrual cycles. My ob/gyn told me to drink three cups a day (one after each meal and to add honey to it - which would also cut down my craving for sweets).