July 24, 2014 | 1836 users online

Other - Spearmint Tea

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Rahine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a super easy cheap way to keep hormones, oil, and acne in check. I try to drink a cup a day. Or at least every couple days.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 1:00:00 AM More reviews by Sarah6587

So I was diagnosed with PCOS just over a year ago. After coming off the pill almost two years ago, my period has been all over the place. I have started drinking two cups of this everyday and I am pretty sure this is the reason why my period has come right on 28 days for the past 4 months now. Some may think it is coincidence but after trying everything from Vitex, to evening primrose oil, apple cider vinegar, to other natural alternatives this was the best thing to have worked for me.

I am from Australia so I have just brought lose leaf spearmint tea from a local health shop and used it with a tea strainer.

As a natural product, you have nothing to lose if you try it. I don't know if it has helped a great deal with hormonal acne- but for period regulation this is a god send.. Hoping it works for you all also!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2014 3:31:00 PM More reviews by xYvettex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been taking the tea for about a week. I just take one big mug(about 3 cups) once a day every other day to start off with. The first thing I noticed was my acne has reduced significantly. I wanted to try it to help with a couple of chin hairs, regulate my period and acne. I haven't been on it that long to see a difference yet on the other two on the list (have my fingers crossed). I first tried the tea without any honey and it made me feel nauseous and sick but adding honey fixed that problem for me. Hope this review helped :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by selenajade

IM LITERALLY FREAKING OUT AS I AM TYPING THIS REVIEW GUYS. THIS STUFF IS A M A Z I N G
so my skin is extremelyyyy oily. it has been since i was 11 and to the point where even with powder im a grease ball within 2 hours. AND I am acne prone, but i eat very healthy (mostly fruits and veggies) and drink lots and lots of water, but im still really oily and get breakouts on my chin and forhead.
I drank 2 cups of some of this tea that my mom bought the other day.
the next day, most of my pimples were healing and i was happy. not sure if that had to do with the tea or not but still. when i got home from school that day i only had a little oil on my forehead, i was SHOCKED. usually all of my face is shiny and makeup is sliding around but this was amazing. :) i have been consistantly drinking the same tea for about a week now and my pores have gotten a bit smaller and my oil production has decreased dramatically. i am so impressed and i no longer get as bad of breakout around that time of the month;)

WE LOVE YOU TEA <3

btw it was green tea with mint and spearmint in it so that's what i drink (ive also heard good things about green tea too)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2012 11:55:00 PM More reviews by delmyee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I drink spearmint tea daily, along with plenty of water. I drink it do to
hairy face by nature, I have always had facial hair, but not until
two years ago did it get so bad that i almost gave up. I am not that type,
so I went on the hunt, I must say I did have problems with headaches
from the tea at first, now it has reduced. I have seen a dramatic
difference in the facial hair, and I also take B6 to help. The only
time I see hair like before is when my cycle is about to come.
ONCE a month vs. every freakin day. I usually sip on two cups
throughout the day, my cycles have not changed, the tea has
helped, I would say 78% with my face. Also it took about 3 weeks
for me to see results, and that is drinking everyday.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

I tried this because I went on and then off of prednisone and the steroid messed up my hormones and caused hormonal acne. I tried drinking two to three strong cups a day. I think it may have helped the acne but it also made me feel really sick. Nauseous and intestinal issues as well as feeling really fatigued. So sick that as bad as I wanted my acne gone I stopped drinking it. I gave this a 2 instead of a 1 because i think it did something and maybe in some people in smalller doses it could be effective but I urge you to be careful when using this. It sounds like the most harmless thing in the world, but if you are drinking more than one strong cup of this a day it could potentially make you feel really, really awful. If you are trying to balance your hormones with it because of health issues I recommend doing it under a doctor's guidance.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by MichT2013

I was told that drinking spearmint tea helped women (who were going through menopause or after having a hysterectomy) by reducing the amount of androgen/testosterone your body makes. Thus it helps reduce symptoms caused by too much androgen/testosterone such as: Facial hair growth, vaginal dryness, joint aches, etc. I am surprised that it is recommended to women who are still having menstrual cycles. My ob/gyn told me to drink three cups a day (one after each meal and to add honey to it - which would also cut down my craving for sweets).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 8:52:00 AM More reviews by JenLovesPolish

I bought Bigelow spearmint tea in an attempt to help regulate my very heavy and irregular periods and help with hormonal acne around my chin and jawline. I've tried drinking it 2 times a day for two separate weeks. First time I tried it I noticed my stomach felt nauseous and I felt kind of sick. I thought I was getting ill and the tea was upsetting my stomach even worse so I stopped drinking it. A few months later I noticed it in the pantry and decided to try it again. Just like before I felt sick to my stomach after drinking it, I got headaches,and I felt really run down. I know it isn't a coincidence. Also both times I drank it my next period was really heavy. Maybe my body is too sensitive to it but in my experience I wouldn't recommend it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by Daphers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Iíve been drinking spearmint tea for about three months now in an attempt to reduce my androgen-related acne. I drink a cup twice a day. Some people restrict their drinking to a certain portion of their cycle only; I havenít tried that.

Results:
No hormonal acne! In other words, no cysts on the chin. Skin significantly less oily and shiny. Iím back to blotting only once a day at work and can sometimes get away without wearing powder on a night out.

Side-effects:
Iíve heard other people complain that spearmint tea makes their periods irregular. Well, mine were irregular to start off with and this has regulated them somewhat. I canít say anything definite about it causing a change in PMS because so far my PMS has been completely different every month, just like normal.

Spearmint tea acts much like peppermint tea in that it soothes the stomach and aids digestion, but it also relaxes the sphincter muscle that prevents acid reflux, so if you suffer from acid reflux this may make things worse. I do already have problems with excess stomach acid and donít think mineís any worse than normal now Iím drinking the tea regularly.

You need to get the dosage right and that will probably take some experimentation. When Iíve got it too low I start getting spots on my chin; when itís too high I feel sick and get bad headaches that start in my shoulders.

Personally I havenít been too careful or precise about my doses. I always make sure I have two strong cups a day but often I forget the morning one and have two at night instead and it doesnít seem to cause much a of a problem. Ideally I guess I would measure out the exact amount of tea, use the same size cup every time and time the length it brews. Frankly Iím too lazy to do any of this and most of the time I get it close enough just by eyeballing it and letting it brew about 5 minutes.

What type of tea to buy:
If youíre trying to use this to control your hormones or breakouts, I recommend avoiding buying a version containing green tea. Green tea seems to cause breakouts for some people (and certainly does for me).

Iím in the UK and buy mine loose-leaf from the Tea Palace in Covent Garden, London. Itís delicious and completely different from the Palanquin bagged stuff, which I found online on a couple of Indian websites. Loose-leaf allows you to control the quantity you use but is more expensive than bagged.

If you know androgens are the cause of your problem, this may be worth a try. Just be aware that you may have to experiment for a while to get the dosage right for you.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2011 10:35:00 AM More reviews by nico678

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well I have had a weird experience with drinking mint tea daily. I initially drank it to try and control hormonal acne, which I felt it did control any large breakouts I may have had. Why I have stopped drinking it is because I feel like I am on birth control pills. And I HATE birth control pills. I have gained weight, have increased hunger, am moody, feel swollen all the time, feel tired all the time, etc. I have never done well with BCP. Some people do fine with them, I am not one of those people. So, after two months of consistently drinking this tea, the only comparison I have is the way I feel when on BCP. I eat really healthily; fruits, veggies, whole grains, no meat, no dairy, good supplements... and I am usually really lean. But I am totally curvy right now. Some may like that side effect; bigger boobs, rounder butt; but I don't. I may be the bizarro case that has had this side effect of drinking mint tea, but research shows that is reduces androgens and increases estrogen (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17310494?dopt=AbstractPlus). So if you are sensitive to estrogen (like me apparently), just listen to your body. I even read that people use mint tea for digestive and weight loss reasons so it must be working for people differently than it has worked for me so I won't say "don't drink this", I love natural remedies and believe in healing from the inside out. This works for many, but just be aware if you feel funny like I have that it may be the tea. Buenas suerte..

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No