November 27, 2014 | 1723 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by ciananovello

Really nice finish and lasting power but broke me out in cystic acne, which I never have had. My skin is usually very clear and this completely broke it out. Will be returning.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2014 2:05:00 AM More reviews by fecktopia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm generously giving this a 5 because it does what it promises on my dry, NC25 skin with PIH, melasma and occasional breakouts. I can only truly review based on experience with this on my skin as I haven't applied it to anyone else.

I'm used to full cover due to all my skin issues, but this is a medium coverage which can be built to fullish. It does hide most imperfections while feeling incredibly lightweight and looking natural. The finish is neither dewy nor matte, but more a satin that looks like healthy and even skin. It hides red but I have to conceal more for darker patches of melasma.

It works beautifully with all of my primers, even the hydrating and water based ones, which most silicone foundations don't. This doesn't really feel like silicon on your face at all. It feels fresh and looks fresh, even after a 10hour work day in air con or the humid climate which I live. I usually set it with MUFE HD powder and you can't tell I'm wearing layers of makeup as it looks so flawless. Before this I would avoid anything other than full cover foundation but if you want to look natural, try this with a good concealer like MUFE full cover and blend well. Together they hide all sins.

My only gripe is that I was matched with N120 sand beige which is a bit too light. It looked perfect under the store lights, and honestly with the climate here it is common to oxidise but this doesn't happen for me so I need to find a shade that fits better. With 26 shades to choose from its hopeful you will find a good match. The shade system is not very intuitive though and isn't in light to dark order, so make the effort to test this on your face and check it out under different lights before purchasing, as it is on the pricey side.

Tip 1: if you can't find a perfect shade these mix amazingly well. I often mix 170 caramel into 120 sand beige for a darker, slightly more neutral cover that matches me better. The lightest shade is very very pink, so if you need more pink tones to match your cool skin then mix some in. It's likely you'll already have a good match with the shade range, but if not or you need to alter it between summer/winter or undertones, mixing this formula is super easy.

Tip 2: the SA suggested applying with a sponge, which works well, but I find I get better coverage with a foundation brush. Apply a think layer then build it where needed. I sometimes buff it out with either a sponge or buffing brush to blur pores and ensure perfect coverage and finish. This foundation is so easy to apply and work with. Very user friendly.

Clear packaging helps to gauge usage and the pump makes it hygienic and dispenses a good yet conservative amount. There is no discernable scent. You don't really need much product to cover your entire face and 1 pump is enough for medium coverage. You can sheer it out with moisturiser or primer if you prefer. Build it to natural, fullish cover with an additional layer. It just seems to play nicely with all of my other Base products. It's a very agreeable formula.

Lastly, this photographs amazingly. It is a true HD foundation, which many other like nyx fail to be despite their claims. It lacks SPF and has such a natural finish that even with flash it looks like you have flawless skin with no makeup, just like it does in all lighting conditions.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by nathaliez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It didn't work for me, I feel it is best for combination skin. If you are on the dry side, this doesn't feel so moisturizing, and it sets rather quickly on the skin..for younger skin, this is I think a nice option...for mature skins, not so sure...
It looks mask like on me and I have read those same complaints about it...
Overrated in my opinion

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2014 9:00:00 AM More reviews by rachelreyn

I honestly did not like this foundation, I have oily combo skin and acne prone skin but I am very careful what I use on it and usually don't have many breakouts. I wanted a lightweight foundation that wouldn't be sticky or oily on my skin and give me even light coverage, this foundation did not do it for me. I think it could be nice on someone with more dry skin that wants a dewy finish, but for me it was so oily on my skin and did make me break out, if you feel the same way about this foundation try the new flawless finish fluid foundation, its amazing for more oily skin and is lighter on the skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2014 7:09:00 AM More reviews by Bainsy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

A fantastic medium coverage foundation that is build-able to full. I use this with my beauty blender sponge and the results are flawless. The look is not cakey, in fact it's more dewy and gives good coverage where necessary which is difficult to find in a foundation. Love the packaging and the pump is very hygienic and once you have almost finished the bottle you can easily open it up and use up every last bit of product. Also a good foundation if your having your pictures taken as there is no whitish glare in them due to SPFs etc. Overall one of the best foundations on the market right now.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by misssoldiergirl

My search for the holy grail foundation has ended! I'm seriously so in love with this foundation. I actually bought 4 of them since Sephora was having their VIB sale! It's not cheap but it actually looks like skin! And lasts a long time! I'm surprised this foundation doesn't have higher ratings. Also I ahve seen countless makeup artists say that they love this stuff and I can see why. A must have for sure I don't even care to try out anything else.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2014 2:50:00 PM More reviews by marmottime

I love the coverage and find that it blends really well, and lasts throughout the day. I'll keep using this unless I find something cheaper with better packaging.

I'm not crazy about the packaging just because I find that the cap doesn't stay in place on the top. I always wind up just throwing it out. As it gets low it gets to be more difficult to get out of the bottle. I wind up unscrewing the top and scraping the foundation off the side of the bottle with the little straw.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2014 2:48:00 PM More reviews by MissLerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

SELECTED SHADE: N153 (NC37 in MAC Studio Fix Fluid for reference)

PROS

- easy to blend
- medium - full coverage
- satin finish/looks very natural
- minimizes the look of pores
- has a pump
- lightweight
- does not settle into fine lines/cling onto dry spots
- long wearing

CONS

- price

COMMENTS: I really like this, but I'm a drugstore girl. So, the price is what really turns me off about this. My sister had purchased this for me, but I am not sure if I would ever purchase this myself. I love the finish. It leans more matte than dewy (satin), but looks very natural on. It looks like skin, but better. Pores are minimized and skin looks much smoother. This applies very well; blending is not an issue. I get a good medium coverage, but you can build it to full without it caking up. I chose the shade N153 on a whim and it turned out to be the perfect match with the perfect amount of yellow in it. I have oily skin and found this worked fine for me. I had no issues with getting too oily (I get oily within 4-5 hours with EVERY foundation) and this one was no exception. It doesn't cling onto my dry spots, either. It stays on and still looks great after a long day (8+ hours). Another thing I love is that after I do touch up, this stuff never looks cakey or settles into fine lines. It'll look just as good as when I first applied it. The price, though. It just kills me! For now, I'll have to say that I won't repurchase despite the many pros I listed.

Will not repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2014 7:25:00 PM More reviews by Taylynnwatkins

Just recently bought this foundation and I really like it! Now the price is a little much ($42) but totally worth it! If you have oily skin or acne breakouts it might not bea good choice bc it is silicon based so your skin doesnt really get to breathe much. Also oily skin will prob make this foundations staying power not that great either. I have normal skin and with my smashbox primer (the photofinish one) it will last me all day, but if i went from morning to night with it id prob have to touch up.

It DOES cover all my freckles and discoloration, and i dont even have to use much at all like maybe a half a pump? full pump if im going out.. anyway this is a good foundation for people with normal skin in my opinion! its flawlessss!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2014 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Aminsat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The most well-rounded foundation I've tried to date!

I tend to get nervous about reviewing foundations (hence this is my first fdn review) for a number of reasons...I'm generally non-committal with them, use a variety depending on occasion/need (my notepad has the exhaustive HG list), people's preferences vary in what they want out of them (finish, coverage) and they yield different results depending on one's skin type, tone and issues.

PROS | Anywhoey, this velvet finish foundation feels lightweight enough that it's become my everyday foundation yet still provides a medium-almost full coverage that looks great in photos and special occasions :) The best things about the MUFE HD is that it provides fairly good medium+ coverage, gives skin a healthy natural glow in photos, blurs imperfections yet still looks and feels light. I appreciate the pump bottle and the broad shade range includes some fair options for strong yellow undertones like mine. It applies seamlessly with a damp beautyblender, doesn't cling to my dry areas and has decent wear. But that's not to say it's all peaches and ice cream :|

CONS | I don't like to touch up foundation and though this still looks decent at the end of my workday, it does slide off a bit around my nose (my most oily area). I can live with that but it may not be ideal for oilier gals. MUFE foundation shades are a bit confusing as they don't seem to categorize warm/neutral/pink and the numbers aren't necessarily from light to dark. I'm MAC NC35 NARS Stromboli and found 153 to be the best but a tad dark which is okay since it counteracts the white cast from my sunscreen (127 and 123 were close). Also, the velvet finish is just fine but I'm personally a luminous foundation junkie so it didn't make me giddy when I first applied it :) but I've been on a highlighter binge so have plenty of products to up the disco-ball factor on my face! Last con: it's pretty pricey at $54 CAD.

OVERALL | I think this is a good/great foundation to try if you can get a sample and it really is a great option for photos. I think it would have fairly broad appeal and is professional quality.

Here's a little comparison to other foundations I've tried for what it's worth:

- MUFE F&B is lighter coverage, more luminous than HD which is great for summer and on good skin days. I'm 32 or 34 in F&B, applied with my fingers.
- MAC F&B is similarly great in photos and is super dewy luminous but because it's so sheer, you need to conceal well or have good skin to begin with. MAC colours are a dream for us yellow-toned girls. I'm C3 or C4, applied with fingers. HD covers more, is less glowy.
- MAC SFF is another option for photos but full coverage. I would only use it for photos or if you have much to cover up. It's cakey/greasy in person and can break me out so it's only reserved for photoshoots. I'm NC35, applied with brush. HD is more versatile.
- Giorgio Armani LSF is another medium+ coverage option and looks decent in photos. Never a shade match, 6 was closest but made me dull as the day wore on. I didn't find LSF really dewy whereas HD had a naturally dewy look.
- NARS SG, every time I try this I think "wow, luminosity plus full coverage!" but the feeling fades as it looks gross after a few hours no matter how I prime or set. HD is a little less coverage, less dewy, doesn't cling to dry spots. Stromboli was the perfect match but SG makes me look like I have bad skin, HD doesn't.
- Sephora Airbrush Mist is a great option for those who like semi-matte because its staying power is awesome (withstands the gym) but it's much too matte and flat for me. Medium or Almond matched me slightly, applied with brush. HD is less matte, less coverage.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No