July 28, 2014 | 1862 users online

Fragrances - Marilyn Miglin - Pheromone

rated 4 of 5 on 10/30/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by scooterj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i get the love it or hate it. its a strong fragrance and that will be controversial. i like it applied VERY lightly.... it grows on the skin with your body heat all on its own, lasts forever. id say dont apply it like other perfumes at all.... pick ONE distant spot.... small of back maybe, base of neckbeneath your hair if bolder. one drop. its sexy,no doubt. however, it usually gives me quite a headache, i am pretty sure its not coincidence. i will still use it occassionally, now that cold weather is here, and see how it works out this season...itll last forever, but id not get more just due to its potency seems too much for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I REALLY like this and came to it via cherryblossomdiva's excellent oil dupe. It's mostly a potent, powerhouse green - strong, dense and certainly of its late-70s time (fine by me). There's rather a lot going on in Pheremone...it brings to mind a complex mosaic of piney greens and dark, earthy resins. I've not tried the one now sold on the shopping channel as I have an older bottle, but if you want to try before buying, CBD's dupe is remarkably close.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 11:55:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is ONLY for the Bath & Body Oil off Miglin's own website. This stuff is sex in a bottle.

Over the years, I have learned that I do not like other forms of the fragrance, whether EDP/EDT or body products. They all pull a sour, urinaceous topnote and funky indolic basenotes, neither of which rock my boat. In addition, the stuff sold on HSN in cheaper-looking bottles is of inferior quality and smells horrid all around. I once received a giftset of Pheromone products from HSN and ended up throwing it away, bag and all.

But this oil-- this slightly anachronistic green oil from the disco age-- is heaven. It is not really a bath oil, but a concentrated perfume oil with no additives. (Which makes it an amazing bargain.) Just one drop in my cleavage and another at the base of my neck is all I need. Pheromone is a big green floral along the lines of Norell, Fidji, and Ivoire de Balmain. I think it's the best of the bunch. Soothingly herbal and clean, yet sultry with cola-like spices and a warm-skin accord, this stuff projects womanly self-possession and sexual confidence. It is top-notch perfumery.

DO NOT OVERAPPLY, and do try the oil as it is qualitatively different from the other products. Much as Youth-Dew bath oil is tolerable while the spray could kill gnats 30 miles away.

Several women in my family have used Pheromone over the years; I have such fond memories of sniffing my mom's bottle of Pheromone oil in the late '70s/early '80s. It was a perfect fragrance for that time period: opulent, big, complex and gorgeous. It still is wonderful today.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/14/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by Mary8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had been curious about Pheromone for a while so I finally bought a bottle from HSN. It was not what I expected, and no, it doesn't work for me but I didn't find it as traumatic as some have. Initially it does smell awful. My first reaction after spraying was, "they've got to be kidding". I hung in there and after about 10-15 minutes I got something that was very reminiscent of Estee Lauder's Private Collection, which I own and love. That's where the similarity ended. It stayed very clean and green and soapy on me. I also got a hint of the marine element mentioned by another reviewer. After that it just faded into nothing. Never got really pleasant, but wasn't horrendous. Definitely a weird and unstable fragrance. Maybe the version sold on HSN is just cheap. I'd love to smell this on someone whose chemistry is compatible with it just to get a sense of what it could be. I'll be sending mine back.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/25/2009 5:58:00 PM More reviews by anutka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Omg, itís horrible! I just tried it a little bit on my hand at Ulta (it was an open box on a clearance rack). I have to rush immediately to bathroom to wash my hands. Never again!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2009 10:03:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

***IMPORTANT*** the "Pheromone" products being sold on HSN are very, very different than the products M. Miglin sells directly. You can tell by the el cheapo plastic packaging and suspiciously low prices. I cannot tolerate the HSN line; even the "pure perfume" they sell is just not the same--harsh, jarring, linear, like a bad designer impostor body spray. I only use the green Bath & Body Oil from Miglin's own website-- I hear the pure parfum in crystal bottles (starting at $125) is great too, but I can't afford it!

OK, on to the review. This is one I've nearly always owned, and I find that I like it a lot more as I get closer to 40. I seem to have grown into it! Pheromone is certainly distinctive-- it was my grandmother's signature scent and believe me, she was no "old lady" in the pejorative sense-- she was sexy! It is a magnificent, deep green floral in the same vein as other '70s and '80s "big & gorgeous" scents (Chanel 19, Charlie, Cie, Fidji, Norell, Private Collection, etc). There is not a hint of fruit or vanilla here, but there is a delicious cola-like note that I love. It's simply all woman, all the time, spicy and exotic and floral and green and hoo boy, stand back, the grand dame has arrived. Beautiful, mysterious, intoxicating. Not a day-at-the-beach scent, but works as a confident day-at-work scent and definitely a night-in-the-boudoir one ;^)

**EDIT: Turns out the oil is the only form of this fragrance that works for me--the other products from Miglin's website (powder, lotion, EDP, parfum) have this heavy, dated, indolic/musky thing going on that turns my stomach. Guess I just do better with oils--as with Youth-Dew (love the oil, HATE the EDP).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2009 6:19:00 PM More reviews by kilee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not a fragrance I wear, but I wanted to write a review since I've enjoyed it on others. The women I've known who have worn this well have been over 45, sensual and confident. Several of the women I admired most as a young woman wore this fragrance so it brings back wonderful memories. I think it's divine on those whose body chemistry it suits.

It seemed like their men especially loved it, too. In college I worked at a high-end women's clothing boutique that also offered Miglin's fragrances and we sold tons of the stuff to men for gifts all year long.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2009 2:16:00 AM More reviews by leighwilliams

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Amusing to see the dichotomy here . . . you either adore it or despise it. No middle ground. It is, of all perfumes, the very most dependent on a synergistic relationship with your body chemistry. It's also not for those who like a light, clean smell, citrus, or florals. It's sharp, almost acrid, when first applied (I understand the cat piss comments); but it warms to something dark, woody, and complex. If you want to try it, I would advise patience. It takes at least an hour to kindle.

Pheromone is the only scent I've used since I was twenty years old, and I wear it every day. BUT . . . I use only the oil, and I layer it with a little (very little) Aura Cacia patchouli oil to deepen the wood notes. It must go on under the clothing on the body's warmest places. Do not expose it to air, or put it on your wrists. Worn this way, it is a subtle scent, but very long-lasting . . . in fact, it doesn't ever really leave me. I can't wear any other perfumes. After all these years, they smell foreign to me, and they're all terribly one-dimensional by comparison.

At least once a month, someone who gets close tells me I smell wonderful and asks for the name of my perfume. I really don't understand the old-lady comments. Men are absolutely entranced by this scent. I often have to disengage from hugs!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2008 8:58:00 PM More reviews by JulieLance

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells like bug spray when first sprayed and then dries slightly better once it mingles with your body chemistry but still very unacceptable. I would never wear this scent. What a waste!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 7:46:00 PM More reviews by aqua76239

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I first saw this scent sold on QVC-i was having a nice quiet evening at home and there was Marilyn Miglin on tv, going on how amazing, sexy and gorgeous this scent is. I was intrigued but didn't want to buy unsniffed so I ordered a sample vial from one of the fragrance websites. Am I glad I didn't buy a full size bottle. I opened a vial and was instantly bowled over by overpowering stench. That's right, ladies, stench. I thought that maybe it smells different on the skin so I put a tiny drop on my wrist. Nope, it smelled just as disgusting-best way to describe it would be a combination of mothballs, old clothes, old spoiled perfume, etc. Its just smells musty and disgusting. I was still married to my ex at the time and he had a simular reaction as one of the reviewer's hubby. He walked in the room and first thing out of his mouth was: "What the hell is that smell?! I tried to wash it off but no dice. This stuff lasts for hours and hours, needless to say i threw my sample in the garbage and was wondering what Marilyn Miglyn was smoking when she came up with this fragrance!