Maybelline Great Lash Royal Blue

Filtered by age: 19-24

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

I'm holding off on a 5-star rating, because I've only just purchased a tube of Great Lash in Royal Blue and tried it out today. However, upon first impression, I really like it and feel like I should share my thoughts. I started off with low expectations because of a few things: 1) not many Youtubers or makeup bloggers talk about this product 2) Royal Blue seems to be a different blue from the limited edition colored Great Lash mascara (2 years ago I think)--from pics online, that one seems like a bright, electric blue 3) people generally seem to be disappointed in colored mascaras, because it doesn't show up 4) Great Lash was my gateway mascara to the world of makeup, and I didn't even like it back then...

That being said, this formula seems improved from the runny Great Lash I tried for what seems a million years ago. Actually, I think the tube I got was quite dry--which was okay by me, because upon seeing the brilliant blue in the bottle, I didn't want to end up depositing too much product on my lashes. The wand is kind of small, but it did the trick for separating my lashes. I have black hair and dark lashes, so at first, it seemed like any old black mascara upon application. But when I turned my head to the side in the natural light, I noticed my lashes were a subtle blue. I wanted some impact/color, but I actually decided I like the subtlety better, because I can wear it daily pretty much anywhere. It's not a neon blue that would jump out at you but be normal only at a rave or Coachella or something haha...it's totally wearable, but gives your makeup a little bit of intrigue in brighter lighting. Although the color looks nice, I don't think it does anything particularly special for my dark brown eyes/ make the whites of my eyes brighter---idk some people may choose color mascara for enhancing purposes.

The product itself doesn't volumize, maybe lengthens a teeny bit, but it holds my curl pretty well--which is good. They don't have the Royal Blue at every drugstore, but I got mine at target for $5 and some change. It was either this or the colored NYX mascaras.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I've seriously been wanting an electric blue mascara for MONTHS now. I was going to order the Dior Diorshow Mascara in Azure Blue, but as much as I love Diorshow, I really didn't want to pay that much. So I found this, and luckily it's awesome! It's pretty pigmented--it shows up on my black eyelashes, but it's even more intense when I use a white primer underneath. Looks fantastic with a matching eyeliner on my dark brown eyes! The brush is kind of small, but easy to use and it's great for the bottom lashes and inner lashes. Overall, great buy! And super cheap, too!

on 7/13/2013 4:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is the first colored mascara I've tried and I'm not disappointed! I was hesitant at first in case it was just a gimmick, but since I have blonde eyelashes, the color shows up well. It's not too extreme, just a touch of a purple-y blue color. It makes my green eyes stand out more. The brush isn't the best as it's quite stiff, but I'm able to work with it. I would recommend this to anyone who's looking to experiment with a colored mascara. Since it's only about $5-$6, you won't be out too much money if you decide you don't like it.

on 7/31/2012 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I love this product because it reminds me of the benefit blue mascara! I hate hate hate the formula of bad gal lash....it clumped my lashes horribly no matter what i did, so this was a breath of fresh air. The great lash formula is buildable, it's a very natural looking product and does not offer a lot in terms of volume but with around 3 coats i'm more than satisfied in the length department! for added volume I go through with a makeshift lash comb that I created out of a clean revlon wand (it works wonders!). The blue is less harsh than black and makes my eyes look very white and awake, I really like the effect because its subtle in regular light and it shows more vibrant in sunlight. I was not looking for a severe color, I am a Catholic school teacher and I would look very out of place with bright blue lashes...i'm also not a teenager...overall this is a great basic mascara that is a twist from an everyday mascara.

on 6/26/2012 2:22:00 PM

I was looking to try out blue mascara for my eyes, since the SA at MAC recommended that for me. I didn't want to get it from MAC due to budget issues. I found this at my local CVS and it was 50% off! So I immediately picked this up. I have only used this on my lower lashes to make my eyes look bigger. I didn't want a dramatic look for day time, so I used black mascara on the top and blue mascara on the bottom lashes, along with a black eyeliner and brown neutral smoky eye look. It does last for a long time and doesn't smudge. I don't really think this is waterproof? The blue color did show up on my eyelashes, unlike Covergirl's 24 hr lash blast blue black mascara. This is blue enough so I don't use an eyelash primer or anything. I'll be repurchasing this as long as Maybelline manufactures it! Its a little difficult to come by this product at any drugstore, so if you see it, immediately get it :)

on 8/9/2011 9:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I think i have to start off by saying ive never been the type of girl who ventures out and tries a lot. ive only ever used a black mascara and when i picked this up yesterday i thought i had gotten it in black, To be honest with you i didnt even know they made a mascara in blue! i grabbed it without looking bc i didnt know there was even a blue mascara and this morning i wanted to try it out and when i opened it it was blue! i was very skeptical because well it was blue. i tried it on anyway and immediately i thought the color was outstanding. i cant stop looking at my lashes lol. its VERY noticeable in the light but further away its not. i like it and will def continue to use it.

on 2/22/2011 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I'm on the fence about this mascara. The brush itself it absolutely horrid, it does nothing for my lashes. But the color of the formula is gorg, a super bright pretty blue. I'm debating what to do with this... maybe I'll take a wand from another mascara and apply it with that. But there's no way that that horrible brush is going anywhere near my eyelashes :P

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

i got this mascara because i remember makeupbytiffanyd talked about it and liked the blue
i was deciding between this mascara and the physicians formula duo ended mascara, but decided to get this in the end

i am asian with black eyelashes and this mascara does show up but just slightly. it shows up as a royal blue as described
the mascara formula isnt that great, it requires 3 to 4 coats for it to do anything but then it starts getting clumpy and need to be brushed through with a lash comb

im def trying the physicians formula one next

on 1/17/2011 9:41:00 PM

I've been using this stuff for years, and so far haven't found anything better. It's a dark but bright and noticeable blue, it's very flattering and less harsh than black, but still work friendly. Would recommend this to anyone.

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I thought this blue colored mascara would come up on my lashes, but they don't. I think it's because I have black eyelashes that's why. But despite their color, this mascara does not make my lashes look fuller nor does it make my lashes longer... I do not recommend this.