MAC Captive

Filtered by age: 19-24

on 5/26/2015 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Captive is everything I wanted Craving to be. FYI the shades look totally different on me. Captive is darker, more alluring. I'm around NW35 so it's not exactly "vampy" on me but it's probably the darkest color that I can rock on the daily in my collection (but I'm afraid of dark colors so that's not saying much). It definitely looked much darker in the Mac store than real life.
I would definitely recommend that everyone try this. Another shade that I think would be universally flattering. I have tons and tons of pink, rosey lipsticks but this one is unique. Looks amazing with Dolce Vita blush from Nars.

My only complaint is that the Satin formula can be a bit drying.

on 12/27/2014 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I think it's such a beautiful colour that suits my complexion; i can wear it everyday - at any formal or informal event - and know that it would compliment and complete my look. The finish it leaves is lovely, not too matte and not too glossy. I applied the mac prep and prime for lips and let that dry (until it felt sticky) before applying this lipstick and found it quite long lasting. I gained many compliments on the colour and got told many times that it suited me. many people even asked which lipstick it was so that they could purchase it also. I'd definitely buy it again :)

on 10/16/2013 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a really nice plum-my pink, slightly darker than a "my lips but better color", but nothing too standout. "Captive" is very flattering on me as a NW20, but I expect this would look great on anyone -- the color is pretty universal. That being said, it's also a really common color, I feel like every brand has their own formulation of this color.

The texture is really wonderful though. It feels creamy, so it's not drying at all, though it doesn't have the staying power of some of the more matte or vibrant hues. You're probably looking at like 3 and a half hours before touchups. It's very pigmented; a swipe from the bullet and you're set.

Overall, nice, but I'm tempted to explore and see what variations on this color other companies have to offer.

on 11/27/2012 10:39:00 AM

The product is great, justifies the price! And the pink hue tone of MAC Captive is really captivating. The only thing is the lipstick is a bit dry, if used with a suitable base such as a lip balm then you get better results.
I generally prefer Lipice lip balm a product by Multibrands as a base wich gives a great finish to the lipstick.

on 8/12/2012 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I agree with one of the reviewers below. I saw this in MAC and although darker than what I normally go for, I thought it would suit me. It looked different once I got it home and once I tried it on I realised it just wasn't for me. It just doesn't suit me but I imagine it would look really nice on someone with a more suited skin tone. It washes me out which is a shame because it is a nice colour but it just does me no favours.

on 2/27/2011 6:29:00 PM

I love lipsticks, so naturally I have almost every shade of plum-ish pink that MAC offers. Here's some info for people like me:

Captive is darker than Craving (Craving is more pink). Captive is almost like a wine color. The texture is a little drying, maybe not the best moisturizing lip, but still, its long wearing (much more so than plumful, as I found out at a dinner party). Plumful is Captive's buildable cousin.

I think that Captive is maybe a little on the dark side for me (NC20 ish, NARS Mont Blanc) but it creates a good night out look and if you blot your lips after applying it, it leaves a nice wine colored stain on your lips. I've gotten more compliments on captive than anything else I've tried. Still, lots of pale people like me don;t like to wear anything too dark, so this might run a little dark for paler folks. I think this would look lovely on darker skin tones though.

EDIT: I actually find this to be a little too brown for me in the winter. Maybe it would look nicer with a tan or applied with a lip brush (to lessen product).

on 11/14/2010 6:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Nice plummy/mauvy color. Looks great on fair skin tones, as it brings out that paleness and creates a beautiful contrast between skin and lips. It's a satin, so not entirely matte, just with a subtle sheen to it - nothing too creamy or even remotely glossy. Frankly I thought it would be quite dark before I got it, but it's actually very wearable, it's more like a medium to dark muted berry color. Can be worn everyday or for a night out, so hooray for versatility. Would repurchase.

i was a bit dissapointed with this.. too dark, but that is my personal opinion, however it is really pretty if you just apply a little bit like a tint and blend over lips. i would use this method very often if it didnt make my lips so dry and cracked :( but pretty colour!

on 1/6/2010 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

As everyone else has said this is a (gorgeous) berry color. Great for fall and winter. I was afraid it would be too dark on my NC20 skin, but its an amazing color. And contrary to what others have said I don't think its outdated at all. After getting it, to my surprise, my boyfriend liked it on me and he usually hates bright/dark/not natural looking lipsticks. Its a great color and worth trying out

on 9/26/2008 7:58:00 PM

I went to the MAC counter with my hubby for my B2M. I tried on a few lippies for him and he liked this one the best b/c (in his words) it made my blue eyes brighter. It took some getting used to b/c it's kind of dark on my lighter than nc/nw15 skin. I usually apply it with a lip brush lightly to give a pinky stain more than an opaque wash. When I do want more dramatic lips though, this is a lovely pink-plum shade. The Satin formula usually requires some gloss on top, but it's fairly soft on it's own. No complaints. Will repurchase!

Popular Lipsticks