November 28, 2014 | 1712 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Captive

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a really nice plum-my pink, slightly darker than a "my lips but better color", but nothing too standout. "Captive" is very flattering on me as a NW20, but I expect this would look great on anyone -- the color is pretty universal. That being said, it's also a really common color, I feel like every brand has their own formulation of this color.

The texture is really wonderful though. It feels creamy, so it's not drying at all, though it doesn't have the staying power of some of the more matte or vibrant hues. You're probably looking at like 3 and a half hours before touchups. It's very pigmented; a swipe from the bullet and you're set.

Overall, nice, but I'm tempted to explore and see what variations on this color other companies have to offer.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Emma721

The product is great, justifies the price! And the pink hue tone of MAC Captive is really captivating. The only thing is the lipstick is a bit dry, if used with a suitable base such as a lip balm then you get better results.
I generally prefer Lipice lip balm a product by Multibrands as a base wich gives a great finish to the lipstick.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 12:36:00 PM More reviews by ilovejp

I agree with one of the reviewers below. I saw this in MAC and although darker than what I normally go for, I thought it would suit me. It looked different once I got it home and once I tried it on I realised it just wasn't for me. It just doesn't suit me but I imagine it would look really nice on someone with a more suited skin tone. It washes me out which is a shame because it is a nice colour but it just does me no favours.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2011 6:29:00 PM More reviews by julma

I love lipsticks, so naturally I have almost every shade of plum-ish pink that MAC offers. Here's some info for people like me:

Captive is darker than Craving (Craving is more pink). Captive is almost like a wine color. The texture is a little drying, maybe not the best moisturizing lip, but still, its long wearing (much more so than plumful, as I found out at a dinner party). Plumful is Captive's buildable cousin.

I think that Captive is maybe a little on the dark side for me (NC20 ish, NARS Mont Blanc) but it creates a good night out look and if you blot your lips after applying it, it leaves a nice wine colored stain on your lips. I've gotten more compliments on captive than anything else I've tried. Still, lots of pale people like me don;t like to wear anything too dark, so this might run a little dark for paler folks. I think this would look lovely on darker skin tones though.

EDIT: I actually find this to be a little too brown for me in the winter. Maybe it would look nicer with a tan or applied with a lip brush (to lessen product).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2010 6:14:00 AM More reviews by Mandibulo

Nice plummy/mauvy color. Looks great on fair skin tones, as it brings out that paleness and creates a beautiful contrast between skin and lips. It's a satin, so not entirely matte, just with a subtle sheen to it - nothing too creamy or even remotely glossy. Frankly I thought it would be quite dark before I got it, but it's actually very wearable, it's more like a medium to dark muted berry color. Can be worn everyday or for a night out, so hooray for versatility. Would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/11/2010 1:19:00 AM More reviews by blackrosethorn

i was a bit dissapointed with this.. too dark, but that is my personal opinion, however it is really pretty if you just apply a little bit like a tint and blend over lips. i would use this method very often if it didnt make my lips so dry and cracked :( but pretty colour!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2010 8:55:00 PM More reviews by hodgam8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

As everyone else has said this is a (gorgeous) berry color. Great for fall and winter. I was afraid it would be too dark on my NC20 skin, but its an amazing color. And contrary to what others have said I don't think its outdated at all. After getting it, to my surprise, my boyfriend liked it on me and he usually hates bright/dark/not natural looking lipsticks. Its a great color and worth trying out

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2008 7:58:00 PM More reviews by carabara84

I went to the MAC counter with my hubby for my B2M. I tried on a few lippies for him and he liked this one the best b/c (in his words) it made my blue eyes brighter. It took some getting used to b/c it's kind of dark on my lighter than nc/nw15 skin. I usually apply it with a lip brush lightly to give a pinky stain more than an opaque wash. When I do want more dramatic lips though, this is a lovely pink-plum shade. The Satin formula usually requires some gloss on top, but it's fairly soft on it's own. No complaints. Will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2007 8:18:00 PM More reviews by definesinister

BEAUTIFUL! I got this when I wanted to take advantage of my Back to MAC. But yeah I was torn between this, VIVA Glam IV, and Chic. But I decided to keep to the satin formula because satin last all effin day. Anyway I layer it with my favorite lustreglass LE Garden to get that frosty/pearlized look that you get from VG IV and Chic. Well anyway I'm so happy with this, and also the fact I got it for free. For reference, I'm a NC 30/35. For some reason, I'm so addicted to their lipsticks, I just keep coming back for more!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2007 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Flitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of my new favorites. For me, it is a very wearable color. And I like the fact that I can wear it day or night. Because of the texture of this lipstick I always put on balm a few minutes before wearing it, but it lasts and lasts and lasts. I like to top it with some sort of gloss a lot of times. Love this color!!