What hair and makeup defined the 00s? This is what I have gathered so far +++++++
Based on stuff I've read online, and my own recollection, these are the looks that seemed to be really popular for beauty from 2000 to 2009. Anything I'm forgetting?
1. "No makeup makeup" and "no foundation" looks. Basically, tinted moisturizers were introduced early in the decade, and then mineral makeup exploded onto the scene. Gone were the days of heavily made up, powdery or porcelain looking skin. Products like Benetint, High Beam, Touche Eclat, et al (every brand eventually had their own versions) helped add "natural" highlighting, blushing, and glow to faces that weren't covered in traditional foundation. Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer was also pretty big at the time. Bottom line: Everyone wanted to look naturally lit from within.
2. Smoky eyes, nude lips. Surely both of these had been around before 2000, but I think this was when the look became huge; think Victoria's Secret runway models and red carpet events with everyone from Reese Witherspoon to Paris Hilton.
3. Lip gloss reigns supreme. Tradtional lipstick has only recently made a comeback in the present decade. For a while, everyone skipped it in the name of glossy, pouty, plumped up lips. Stila Lip Glaze, Lancome Juicy Tubes, and DuWop Lip Venom were all the rage.
4. Boho chic and/or the beach look. There's some overlap in these two looks, at least in my mind. But long, tousled, undone hair, lots of playful jewelry, big sunglasses, and loose gauzy clothing seemed to be everywhere for a while there. Think Sienna Miller and Gisele.
5. Lash extensions and hair extensions. I just feel like suddenly everyone was making sure they had tons of hair on top of their head and triple the eyelashes. Weaves became a widely discussed topic, whereas in the 90s they were rarely talked about in mainstream media/fashion.
6. Chunky highlights. Like this:
Anything else I've missed?
Cafe just reminded me of long, flatironed hair, bronzer/sunless tanner all over, and bangs!
message by DiamondTiaraxox
What hair and makeup defined the 00s? This is what I have gathered so far +++++++DiamondTiaraxox7/24/2012 2:40PM
IMO the 80's was a fashion vortex of negativity. I successfully removed all fashion visuals r/o/plepin7/27/2012 8:46AM
I think lipstick may be coming back. I sure hope so! def agree "natural" is in.dreamsandreverie7/27/2012 7:23AM
Light hair, tanned skin, low waisted a$$ crack showing jeans. *shudders*aplainjane7/27/2012 6:21AM
That's a pretty good list, I would add 'thinner eyebrows' to that, I think that now it is ROMUrascal7/27/2012 4:28AM
The things that stand out for me are "hair hump" retro hairpieces, liquid eyeliner, fake +bluezinnia7/26/2012 10:14PM
Concealer lips & skunk hair.. Oh & don't forget emo & scene girls..amalzahir7/26/2012 7:55AM
In the late 00's it was all about the asymetrical bob, shorter in the back and longer in the front +kitten147/26/2012 2:48AM
I did the asymmetrical bob in like 1995?amalzahir7/26/2012 7:53AM
Well whatever you wanna call the Posh/Katie Holmes/every one and their children (literally) cutkitten147/26/2012 5:31PM
Flat ironed hair. Smokey eyes and nude lips. Sunless tanner. Glitter. pinkcoconutxo7/26/2012 12:24AM
The hair poof/bump? or is that too recent...butterflyweb7/25/2012 11:19PM
Acrylic fingernails, pedicured toes, both painted "French"maggiegault7/25/2012 7:28PM
zigzag partsjessicak617/25/2012 3:55PM
Long ironed hair is still cool on runways if the designer is minimalistic like for example>>sirenswin7/25/2012 11:23AM
early 00's was all about lipgloss and highlighter...and the "pink tip" hair bergamott7/25/2012 7:22AM
ahh kelly and her crazy highlights, that was the style! blonde/brown/red ugh whyyy?!!!jujubeeb7/24/2012 3:01PM
Excellent wrap up, I would add the Gweneth Paltrow stick straight hairartemistzitzikilakis7/24/2012 3:00PM
I definitely did the flat ironed hair and Duwop lip venom+ MiasMommy557/24/2012 2:49PM
Lool oh those stripe-y highlights.nebulosa7/24/2012 2:48PM
I have no idea. Culturally, that decade is one big black hole for me.raissanina7/24/2012 2:48PM
for 2000s looks i always think the spice girls. i think they covered the gamut among themselvesindoorkitty7/24/2012 2:47PM
OMG. The Victoria Beckham bob!gconn7/24/2012 2:48PM
Also *shimmer* (sick of), mineral MU, teal e/s and painted nails8ball7/24/2012 2:47PM
kill me but I sort of like that hair in the pic!rupertlilly87/24/2012 2:47PM
lol I'm sure it will be reimagined and super popular again by 2015 or so! Fashion always recycles.DiamondTiaraxox7/24/2012 2:48PM
I still see people wearing similar cuts sometimes....gconn7/24/2012 2:48PM
I actually like the colors more! ha But I live in MI so our trends are a bit slowrupertlilly87/24/2012 2:50PM
I think of very highlighted hair like JLOs with that shimmery MU - darker hair seems more in now. RosiG7/24/2012 2:46PM
retro looks but WITH the 'bare' skin etc.madeupstories7/24/2012 2:45PM
How long ago do you mean by retro?8ball7/24/2012 2:49PM
not really a specific period, but general refs to mu styles of the past +madeupstories7/24/2012 2:58PM
beachy, with bronzed, dewy skin. retro, and the kim k hyper-glam look.orisha_girl7/24/2012 2:45PM
Long stick straight hair. Had to get a lot of mine cut off after the damage I did to it.LadyofFluff7/24/2012 2:44PM
You and I both. In fact my hair has never been as thick since I chemically straightened it. :(DiamondTiaraxox7/24/2012 2:45PM
*hugs* Our poor hair. LadyofFluff7/24/2012 2:50PM
*Hugs, buys us both coconut oil* To our tresses!DiamondTiaraxox7/24/2012 2:52PM
Forgot one - BLACK nail polish! Thanks to Chanel Black Satin.DiamondTiaraxox7/24/2012 2:44PM
Actually, black nail polish goes way further back than that. Chanel was kinda late to the party.+++Neopatra7/27/2012 1:51AM
Oh dear, that picture/those trends seem so dated to me. Is Kate Gosselin hair still popular?gconn7/24/2012 2:43PM
Yikes, her hair, .....and she thought she looked so good..told us!artemistzitzikilakis7/24/2012 3:01PM
it never waskrazybird7/24/2012 3:00PM
LOL God no!DiamondTiaraxox7/24/2012 2:44PM
yup, you got it rigt - smokey eyes, nude lips FTW lolMariellaFromBe7/24/2012 2:42PM